Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trades???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griese2Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My point (after a good night's sleep to help formulate my ideas) is that I don't believe Saban would be hanging a "for sale at the right price" sign on the #2 pick if there was a player he had to have who is considered a "Top 5" pick. I think that he'd privately entertain offers but eventually say "no thanks". As much of a gamesman as he is, I don't believe he'd be blowing that much smoke

I fully agree. Saban's problem is twofold. First of all, everyone is painfully aware that this draft lacks even a single can't miss superstar at the top. Some years a pretender or two will wind up with the 'can't miss' label. This year we don't even have that.

The second problem is the Phins desperately need a RB with the top pick. History has shown that draft order for a running back is not the best predictor of NFL success. In fact, there is little to separate Brown, Benson or Williams except for maybe their distribution of strengths or style of running. No guarantees. Debate all you want which one will translate best into the NFL.

According to the NFL draft value chart pick #2 is worth 2600. Pick #8 is only worth 1400. Assume Saban takes Ronnie Brown at #2. At least one of the other 2 backs will be available with the 8th pick (#14 is worth 1100). Will Ronnie Brown be twice as good or is he a double sure thing? Doubtful. It's very possible that the best back in this class won't even go in the first round. This is why Saban MUST trade down if anyone is offering anything close to the actual pick value. Exclamation
BACobra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! We have not had a top 10 pick in a gazillion years...and when we do the pool of players are watered down to say the least. Last time was Troy Vincent which we aquired via a trade w/ Phoenix at the time #7 overall and we also picked the lineman/lb Marco Coleman that year with our pick in the 1st rd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: