Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Analyzing Possible Trade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Analyzing Possible Trade Reply with quote

There have been rumors, mostly on ExtremeSkins.com, that there is some sort of agreement in place involving Rod Gardner and Tampa Bay's 5th pick. In order to make that trade make any sense, we would probably have to include our 4th rounder.

Personally I would do this trade in a minute, but I know some of you are proponents of trading down, so I will explain my rationale.

Let me qualify this by saying if we had the ability to move down and be assured of getting Carlos Rogers in the first and Justin Tuck with a 2nd rounder we would acquire, I would probably say that is my number one option. But assuming that won't happen and assuming Williams won't fall to 9, I like this idea of the TB trade.

Williams is my number one target in this draft, as he is for most Redskin fans I think. Only Edwards would stack up to Williams for me. Thus, I would do a lot to get him. If we give up Gardner and our fourth-rounder to move up to get him, it will be like trading a late 3rd and an early/mid 4th to move up to 5 from 9, which is good value for us. Now many people will say at this point, "We can't afford to give up draft picks." The question that needs to be asked is: what wouldl we get with these picks we would be giving up?

We are all pretty much in agreement that our holes are at WR, CB, MLB, and DE. If we held on to our picks and traded Gardner for a late 3rd or 4th, we would have 4 picks in the first 4 rounds, which is pretty convenient. Assume that we take Pac-Man Jones since he is the best value at 9. The problem, and the reason why I don't think we have a whole lot of use for these extra picks, is that there isn't any kind of value for a DE or MLB in the 3rd or 4th round. We won't find any players at those positions in those rounds. Those picks would essentially become either bigtime reaches or would be used for depth, which I don't feel justifies missing out on a stud. I would much prefer a draft in which we get Mike Williams in the first and a CB like Stanley Wilson or Domonique Foxworth in the third to a draft in which we have two other picks that probably would not be very useful.

I hope I've explained it clearly enough. I'm sure people will have opposing opinions, so let me know.
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you there isnt much value at DE and stuff so i would go ahead and do that trade in a split second but will the trade be done on draft day or beofre i know most trades are done on draft day but i am asking
riggensghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the trade in a hearbeat for a legitamate shot at Edwards or Williams. A premium CB isn't worth the investment and here is why. Greg Williams creates overachievers. Why blow the load on a position where all we really need is a true #2 CB? I love the idea of a trade up and look at draft day trades and at players cut after the draft to fills holes (Andre Dyson, CB, Jamie Sharper, MLB, we need another TE too.)
e16bball

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This trade would have to go down on draft day because we would need to make sure Mike Williams was still available.

Let me just reiterate that this is all rumor at this point, nothing concrete. I was merely saying that I would do this if no really enticing trade-down presented itself.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtremeSkins.com had an interview with Cerrato where he said that they trading up is out of the question. That was before the combine, but I still don't think Gibbs is the trade up type. He's more of the get more picks type IMO.
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read that interview as well, but I'm not sure I buy that as concrete in any way, for several reasons.

First, we all know there is a lot of stuff out there that is false at this point, and we also know that every team is out there trying to find out the strategies of their opponents. It would be INCREDIBLY imbecilic of Cerrato to just give away information like that if it was true, even on a somewhat small-time site like ExtremeSkins. The fact is, other teams will have some people out trolling the internet for any clue as to what their opponents will do, and I doubt Cerrato is dumb enough to tip them off to the fact that we aren't open to trading up. It seems almost more likely that he is trying to trick everyone into thinking we won't trade up. I'm not saying that's the case, but it might be.

Second, with all due respect to Vinny Cerrato, we know that he isn't the one "wearing the pants" in the Redskins' FO relationship. If Gibbs really wants a guy, Snyder will do what is necessary to go get him, regardless of Vinny's input. And at the time of that interview, it would have been completely impossible to say whether Gibbs was going to really love a player coming out.

So I guess my main point there was to say take Cerrato's interview with a grain of salt. I have tried to say the same thing to the people over at ExtremeSkins, but they seem unwilling to accept the fact that Cerrato may have been misleading them. We will see soon enough, I suppose.
Lionsrule11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you guys be willing to trade arrington at all. This would be the trade:

The Packers #24 and first 2nd rounder from New Orleans along with KGB for Arrington and our fourth.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an article saying that it'd be nearly impossible to trade Arrington due to his salary and the cap hit that would partake. the number 24, overall pick, along with Kareem and a second round pick doesn't sound shabby, but I haven't been following KGB's career at all. I've heard good things about him, but I don't know too much about him.
thedoc4454

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once and for all, the redskins are not going to take a receiver. They appear to be quite content with what the have versus a late round pick.

1. trade down - maybe twice ( Remember Ramsey?)
2. Shawn merriman - when a big bad monster is after you you don't usually have time to throw 30 yard spirals.
3. Antrell Rolle - First of all he has a lot of L's in his name which is always handy, and he is the drafts real shut down corner
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedoc4454 wrote:
once and for all, the redskins are not going to take a receiver. They appear to be quite content with what the have versus a late round pick.

1. trade down - maybe twice ( Remember Ramsey?)
2. Shawn merriman - when a big bad monster is after you you don't usually have time to throw 30 yard spirals.
3. Antrell Rolle - First of all he has a lot of L's in his name which is always handy, and he is the drafts real shut down corner

First off, welcome to the board man. We need more Skins fans around here.

I can see your point, and it is certainly valid to an extent, but I just don't feel there is a good reason to be content with our WR corps as it is. Neither of our top 2 WRs has the ability to shed jams in any way shape or form, and we will be eaten up by teams that play physical, press man-to-man coverage. If we had an option of getting Mike Williams, I would do so in an instant because he will actually be able to exploit that, as well as allow Moss to move to the slot where he is so effective.

Trading down is another good option, and either of those players would be a nice addition, but I think those should be fallback options if we simply cannot acquire Williams.
mrdriii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back and forth on the trade down issue. I think we may be able to trade down a few spots and still get Rogers but moving down 2-3 spots prob doesn't warrant a 2nd rounder. We need a young DE and I'd LOVE Merriman at #9 especially since I'm a UMCP alumnus. But we also need a young WR. Maybe if we get Merriman we can get J.R Russell in the 3rd. He's a big, tall pretty fast receiver. Maybe Foxworth (I think that's his name) will be there in the 4th. That would be two from the area and two that filled needs. We'll see, I'm getting pretty psyched!

D Twisted Evil
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that our only possible trade-down that will net us Carlos Rogers is with the Texans. And I think it is plausible for sure. The Texans desperately need a franchise LT, and have been very open about that fact. Thus, they would probably be willing to move up in order to lock up a stud like Barron. And, since they stole a 3rd rounder from Dallas for Drew Henson, they might be willing to part with their 2nd rounder in order to do it. What would be great is if there started to come some noise from Detroit that they want to take Barron. If the Texans thought they were going to narrowly miss their man again, they might be willing to take the hit in a trade with us. They would still have 2 remaining first day picks, and would have their number one target in the bag. I think its possible, anyway. Then we would take Rogers at 13 and BPA at either WR, DE, or MLB at 47. Preferably DE, but I doubt any of the studs would be left. Probably would end up with either a WR like Chris Henry or even Matt Jones, or Odell Thurman. Not too bad I guess. Then we can draft BPA the rest of the way. Still would prefer getting Williams, but not a bad fallback option.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard rumors of the Lions being interested in Alex Barron, but as all rumors... you can only read but so much into them. I'm sure the Texans would love a shot a Barron so that'd be great if the Redskins could trade back and get the Texans' secound rounder as well. If the Redskins could get Carlos Rogers in the first round, and either Chris Henry or Vincent Jackson in the second and then the best available DE in the third, I'd call it a very productive and successful draft.
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if we got a second round pick i would go with a TE if Heath Miller was there that would be awesome but if he wasnt i think alex smith would be there so i would go with him what do u think
e16bball

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Miller is there in the 2nd that would be a steal, but I doubt that will happen. Smith really doesn't fit with our program too well. He is a good receiver, but average at best as a blocker, and that doesn't seem like Gibbs's sort of TE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: