Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade to #3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Trade to #3? Reply with quote

What do you think of trading up to #3?

Browns GM Phil Savage said that he would be willing to trade with Philly if they offered enough of their many picks.

What do you think?

Here's the link the story I'm referencing:

http://www.cantonrep.com/printable.php?ID=215825

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would extremely love to trade all the way up there but i know its gonna cost us dearly. i dont want to give up all of our picks but thats probably what it would cost.

looking at it if we keep all of our picks we can draft consistently and fill up all of the positions in question with quality players and some depth providing ones.

im still unsure because even though i would love to have DJ, Braylon or Merriman on my team i wouldnt want to risk that when i can get 5 other solid players. its difficult to choose really.

take a player who will help u get to and hopefully win the SB this season or draft for depth to build a strong team for the future.
Merged Pillow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trade to #3? Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
What do you think of trading up to #3?

Browns GM Phil Savage said that he would be willing to trade with Philly if they offered enough of their many picks.

What do you think?

Here's the link the story I'm referencing:

http://www.cantonrep.com/printable.php?ID=215825

can you post the article because i don't want to have to regiester for the site to see it
Phreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest Browns deal yet to come
By STEVE DOERSCHUK Repository sports writer

From his bird’s-eye view as general manager of the Browns, Phil Savage can see all the way to Philadelphia.

He notices the Eagles keep landing all over the draft board.

Savage uses the City of Brotherly Love, which has stockpiled picks, as a means to shout out his fondest draft wish:

He is eager to trade the No. 3 overall pick. What better way to kick off reconstruction than with a draft dripping with extra picks?

“We could go any direction,” Savage said Friday of his plans with the No. 3 pick. “Do we keep the pick? Do we try to slide back (via trade)? Do we give away that pick for Philly’s entire draft?

“The Eagles may have 15 draft picks (the Browns have seven). Would you rather have the first pick of the draft, or would you rather have another team’s entire draft?

“I’m not saying they would do it, but what happens if they call and say, ‘Hey, we like a player at the top. What if we give you 10 picks for that one choice?’ ”

It has been a can-do offseason for Savage, who has jolted Browns fans from hibernation by landing eight veterans through trades and free agency.

Restricted free-agent safety Brian Russell of the Vikings could be the ninth. The Browns reportedly extended him an offer Friday. The Vikings can keep him by matching the offer.

Russell, 27, converted to safety as a San Diego State junior after playing quarterback. He wasn’t drafted by the Vikings, which means the Browns wouldn’t have to send Minnesota a draft pick. He became a starter in 2003, his third season. He might replace recently released Robert Griffith, who began his pro career as an undrafted player for the Vikings.

Even if Russell falls through, the Browns are finished with safety Earl Little. The outspoken veteran who joined the team in 1999 was released Friday.

“We explored other options for Earl which unfortunately did not work out,” Savage said.

Savage said his flurry started with targeting two guards, Joe Andruzzi and Cosey Coleman, to fix a chronic problem.

“Just because you put them on your list doesn’t mean you’ll get them,” Savage said. “We targeted them and got them signed.”

The ball kept rolling, most notably with trades for quarterback Trent Dilfer and running back Reuben Droughns.

Now the to-do list shifts to trading down for more picks.

Savage is grinding through brutally long days with three weeks to go before the draft.

On Friday morning, he interviewed Kent State safety Abram Elam, who convinced Savage he is contrite about issues that got him kicked out of Notre Dame.

Then it was on to the University of Akron to watch quarterback Charlie Frye throw, then another jump down Interstate 77 for a the Northeast Ohio Celebrity Luncheon Club at Prestwick Country Club emceed by ex-Browns standout Jim Houston.

From there it was back to Akron for a heart-to-heart with Frye, a first-round hopeful Savage doesn’t see going that high.

“I do think he’ll go on the first day of the draft, in the second or third round,” Savage said. “We have to weigh him against the other quarterbacks.”

Savage said the Browns haven’t ruled out running back Maurice Clarett, who followed up an embarrassing NFL Combine workout with a slightly better one Thursday in Warren.

“At this point,” Savage said, “I would say our interest in Maurice would be on Day 2 only.”

Rounds 1-3 will be conducted on April 23. Rounds 4-7 are April 24.

For now, all eyes are on that No. 3 overall pick.

Anything Savage says in public could be a draft smokescreen. But for the record, this is what he describes the team’s disposition toward spending the No. 3 pick on a passer.

“We’re open to it,” he said. “We’re open to anything.

“We’ve seen (Utah’s) Alex Smith. We’ve seen (Cal’s) Aaron Rodgers. We’ve had ’em both in. ... Those two guys may or may not be available. Who knows? We feel like we’re getting to a comfort level in terms of knowing both players.”

Texas star Derrick Johnson is perceived as a possible No. 3 pick. The Browns need linebackers for their new 3-4 defense. Linebackers, though, hardly ever get picked that high. Why?

“You really want players in that part of the draft to be difference-makers,” Savage said. “You want the type who can win a game or end a game.

“Usually, linebackers are off the line of scrimmage. They’re gonna make a lot of tackles, but ... they’re generally not pass rushers.”

Remember, Johnson could the man if the Browns trade down.

What if the Browns stay at No. 3? Keep in mind the positions Savage associates with that draft neighborhood.

“Left tackle, quarterback, wide receiver, cornerback ... all those positions where people are trying to find a difference maker,” he said.

That could mean Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards is on his radar.

At this point, though, one can only be certain that Savage is seeking a sweet deal.

Mystery reigns as to which players the Browns think can get them to where the Eagles landed in February: A Super Bowl.

You can reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail:

steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
SIERK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at a number of the threads on this board and find a bunch of discussion on this very type of issue.

The important thing are the 1st day picks. You could have our tradeable 2nd day picks (4th, 2 5th, 7th) at little cost. But the important thing are the 1st day picks. 31 + 35 for one of the top 3? Yes, I would do it. 31 + 35 + 4 second day picks? Yes to that, too.

But once you start throwing in 63, 77, and 94, it starts getting hazy. This draft supposedly has depth, but not much in the top. Is it really worth 5 of the first 100 picks in order to get #3? Plus, there is the whole contract negotiation problem with high picks. They often aren't signed early, so they are behind during the first year...

I'm happy with where the Eagles are drafting now. Would I be happier with the whole draft riding on one guy? I doubt it. Now, trading up in the 1st round at a relatively low cost, that I would be more willing to see.
goose85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If were gonna send our entire draft somewhere. goind to 1 or 2 and taking Ronnie Brown may be a great Idea. Brown is perfect for the Eagles.
PhillyTransplant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is worth our entire draft. I agree I'd trade five/six picks for it but only if there is no more than 2 from the first two rounds and a total of three in the first day (31, 63, 77, and 2 5th) might be reasonable if they knew (and that's a big if) the contract that they'd be getting themselves into. I don't think the Eagles would trade up into the top seven pciks (althought Titams may be ripe for the picking) because of what they'd be stuck paying that person -- look at the situation with Simon. I think they'd be much happier moving up to the 20s or moving down and getting a another high 2nd and a pick for next year.

Remember Savage was talking not anyone who has influence in the Eagles. Of course he'd take all their picks for the 3 who wouldn't?
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a terrible idea, trading away many picks for a player that will demand a huge contract with no guarantees of him ever doing anything in the league.

The Draft is a crap shoot, The Eagles have a better shot of landing a player taking 5 first day picks then taking 1 first day pick
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 first days picks would be all id be willing to give up for the first day. it doesnt bother me about the second day ones because they would struggle to make our roster anyway.

so say we offered them that to move up to #3 where we would have the pickings of Braylon Edwards, Derrick Johnson, Mike Williams, Shawne Merriman, you wouldnt take it? those guys would help our team straight away being labelled as possible pro-bowlers and would solidify some of our positions.

we would still have picks left and if the browns dont take what we would offer which would be roughly 6-7 picks, then they would most likely be stuck there. i think we should offer them that deal and stick to it and not budge at all, browns would be stupid not to take it, they have far more holes to fill than one and it would benefit both teams.

there has been alot of speculation about the Eagles this off-season and we will just have to see what ends up happening. but hey i like changes and i like the players at the top of the draft, so lets see where it goes.
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Philly should trade Fredex and a 3rd round pick to swap 1st rounders.Then they will be rid of Fredex and can take DJ with the #3 pick. There are rumors that Browns may want another WR so Fredex is just about as good as the rest of their WRs.
PhillyFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there sarcasm in that statement?

that would have to be the worst trade in Browns history, move down 28 spots and gain a mediocore receiver who runs his mouth too much.

i thought u knew it all. Shocked
wynalda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.knowitall wrote:
I think Philly should trade Fredex and a 3rd round pick to swap 1st rounders.Then they will be rid of Fredex and can take DJ with the #3 pick. There are rumors that Browns may want another WR so Fredex is just about as good as the rest of their WRs.

fred a former no1 pick himself plus another no1 plus a 3rd...hmmm thats sounds like the browns savage plan lol

code....no we will not trade up to no3
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.knowitall wrote:

That is the weakest trade offer I have seen. It would take more than a future car salesman and a 3rd to move up 28 spots into the top 5. T.O. and a 3rd and we might talk, but we all know that ain't happenin'.

Just about as good talent-wise maybe, but doesn't stand a chance of coming to Cleveland with that mouth and attitude.

#FreeJoshGordon
Thomas5737 wrote:
In my sexy opinion.
bwojo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is never a good idea to trade away your entire draft i just point to Miami who traded everything away to the saints for Ricky Williams and he was a proven talent. they never made the playoffs with him and now they don't even have him. on the flip side the saints arn't looking much better either. Savage is dreaming hoping the Philly fans will pressure the front office into doing somthing stupid.
aafroe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually the saints who traded thier whole draft to Washington for ricky.

The dolphins only gave up 2 1sts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: