Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who is top the redskins draft board?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylor #36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: who is top the redskins draft board? Reply with quote

Does anyone have anything more then opinion on who is at the top the redskins draft board?
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had Merriman at Redskins park yesterday for a workout. Not saying much but Gibbs camp is being pretty tight lipped about draft strategy.
e16bball

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they had Merriman there, but it was part of the tryout day or whatever for local players. Not saying that they aren't interested in him, just saying don't read too much into it.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, there was a lot of folks there yesterday, but usually day one picks dont attend local invites unless the coahes want to chat with them. That kid they called little smoot was there too.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riggensghost wrote:
That kid they called little smoot was there too.

Who, Dominique Foxworth?
redskins4life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's better at the LB position, Derrick Johnson or Shawn Merriman?
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Smoot? Ronald Bartell? Foxworth? I know that Bartell was there but nor he or Merriman actuall worked out. As far as linebacker, I like Merriman better, but he'll more than likely be a DE in the NFL. Derrick Johnson is a big playmaker but the knock on him is that he doesn't shed blocks too well. The Redskins need at linebacker falls in the middle though, so unless they are going to try to convert Arrington or Marcus Washington, drafting Derrick Johnson wouldn't make much sense.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Foxworth was there. In regards to the Derrick Johnson vs. Shawne Merriman, who is the better LB.

Johnson is the better pure linebacker, but Merriman is much morevaluable b/c of his ability to line up at end. He has more potential as well.
ShakeNbake2128

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Merriman is still on the board you have to take him he is going to become one of the best pass rushing DE's in the NFL behind Peppers and Freeney

Charger-man thanks for the sweet sig and Scar for the avatar.
inkwell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you play a 3-4 where Merriman will be lining up as a rush OLB, you are projecting Merriman based on his skill set. He has little if any experience dropping in coverage or shadowing a back or TE. Johnson has played the position so right now you have to give him the edge in a 4-3. They are totally different types of backers so it really depends on the system you are drafting them to play in.
e16bball

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
Unless you play a 3-4 where Merriman will be lining up as a rush OLB, you are projecting Merriman based on his skill set. He has little if any experience dropping in coverage or shadowing a back or TE. Johnson has played the position so right now you have to give him the edge in a 4-3. They are totally different types of backers so it really depends on the system you are drafting them to play in.

Good call. Merriman would be a DE for us. DJ would be a LB for us. That's pretty straightforward, I think. And that's why we would have to take Merriman over DJ, as well, because we are stacked at OLB, but could use a good rush DE.
ShakeNbake2128

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about him playing DE. Me personally I have never thought of Merriman as and OLB as everyone else seems he can WITCH HE NEVER WILL, he is no longer 255 like he was his sophmore year and he is now up to 275 from 265 in his last season of college. He is a legit DE and will be a force of a pass rusher. Also keep in mind he is just going to get bigger and stonger on in NFL lifting programs and with time, he is still very young.

inkwell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt matter what you were talking about or what opinion you state as an absolute fact. In a 3-4 he is still an OLB. You dont play DE in a 3-4 at 275. You play OLB when you are a rush guy. The DE in a 3-4 has more run responsibility than pass rush responsibility. My response was to the guy who asked whether Merriman or Johnson was the better LB. They are different types of players who each will probably excel but each need to be in the right system to be their best. Merriman might be as good as you say but with the premium put on pass rushers in the NFL these days, if NFL personnel people agree with you, he will be gone before the Skins pick. I have to wonder how many times you have seen Merriman play in order to make such an absolute statement of fact about him. FWIW, as a MD grad I probably saw him play a dozen games over his career. What I saw was a very good, even all conference level performer, but not one who dominated to the extent that would lead me to believe that he is the next Lawrence Taylor or even the next Kearse or Freeney.
ShakeNbake2128

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skins don't play a 3-4 do they?

inkwell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownsfan868031 wrote:
The Skins don't play a 3-4 do they?

who cares what the skins play? The question was who will be the better LB. Not who is the better LB for the Skins to take. They dont need any OLBs and neither of these guys are MLBs so the question had nothing to do with the skins. When comparing them as LBs, how well one will play as a DE is not germane.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: