You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

W edon't need to draft O-lineman

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RumblinRaider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: W edon't need to draft O-lineman Reply with quote

We are plenty young at the position. With the talent at O-line in FA there is not need to waste a pick on one.

We are in desperate need of a QB (that can lead a team), TE (who can catch a pass and block), RB (That can change a game with one play)

Keep Porter get rid of Moss and make this happen.
kjherrm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of not drafting a O lineman because we have young lineman is a little flawed in my opinion. While yes we do have young lineman none of them have done anything to merrit that they keep their starting position. While Gallery will be our LT next year (unless we draft Joe Thomas number 1) none of the others are safe in my opinion.

Walker has struggled his entire career and is too big to play G or T.

Grove has been injury prone and hasn't lived up to his second round status and he will likely have some competiton this year in camp.

McQuistan was a T in college that was converted to a G because of need and he struggled. He needs to add weight if hes going to be a guard or he needs to be moved to RT.

Boothe was a 6th round pick from I believe Cornell which the last time I checked doesn't play in a conference filled with NFL talent so he came in over matched, but played very well in spurts. I think with a couple of seasons under his belt he could develop into a real nice guard for us.

I'm not sure how much cap room we'll have but it probably won't be enough to lure some of the big name Oline FA. So then were already looking at the 2nd teir of players who are probably people that haven't lived up to their draft status or are players that are aging. Either way some quality youth on the Oline will do us good.

Another thing that should be taken into consideration when thinking about getting a RB that can change a game with one play. Isn't Fargas supposed to be a RB that can score anytime he touches the ball, well he really didn't have to many big long runs and I think only 1 TD, so without a good line there is going to be less of a chance of a big play when theres always D lineman in the backfield.
Young Legend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a Center is a must.. Kyle Young.. is gonna be a beast in the NFL.. jake Grove.. cant cut it..and needs to be re placed..i think getting a RT via FA.. maybe a Guard that can take McQuistan spot.
RumblinRaider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Legend wrote:
Drafting a Center is a must.. Kyle Young.. is gonna be a beast in the NFL.. jake Grove.. cant cut it..and needs to be re placed..i think getting a RT via FA.. maybe a Guard that can take McQuistan spot.

Lets not forget that Gallery was supposed to be a BEAST in the NFL and has just plain lfat out struggled. You can make excuses new coaches this and that but if you got it you got it.

We need vets on our O-line. Guys that can teach the young boys some tricks. Guys that are stable game in and out and have seen some different defensive looks.

Fargas is a bum. He is a straight ahead hard runner. No real talent with him just a real hard work ethic. We need a back that can create space and read things as they happen.

Another rookie O-line is going to nothing but put us further behind. Boothe will be solid next year. Gallery I feel will pull his [inappropriate/removed] together. Fill the middle with vets (even average ones are an improvement).

Draft some playmakers and see what we got. I mean lets face we are not going to be supbowl bound anyway and will have most likely a top ten draft next year also.

Build the skill postions now.
pfassad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It keeps irritating me that people are suggesting linemen for our 2nd and 3rd round picks.....Langston is our oldest starting lineman and he was only drafted in 2002.....I think we have to give our line some more time to develop. And the skill positions are by far our biggest need....we have not drafted a high round skill player since Porter....and we all know the time has come to part ways there. As for drafting vets to teach the young guys some tricks....I thought thats what Jackie Slater and Art Shell were supposed to do....Leonard Davis is the biggest name free agent....and Arizona, who everyone says is the only line worse than ours, is letting him go.....thats gotta say something. I say spend the money on clearing out our current dead weight....Jordan, Brooks, Porter, and replacing them with Russell/Schaub, Jarret/Bowe, Peterson/Bush/Irons/Michael Turner....our line will look better if Gallery even plays average, which he did right before and after he got hurt, and when our RBs and TEs can pick up a blitz, and when our receivers get open, or catch the ball, and when our QB doesnt fumble the snap, or take too long, or throw a pick every other pass.

QB/RB/WR/FB/TE first 5 picks in something like that order. I agree we need to get a DT somewhere....but if we take a lineman before the 2nd 5th or even the 6th, I will be annoyed.
pfassad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, people give someone with a knee injury a full year of slack to see if he gets back to form....Langston Walker almost died last year....which to me should be a reason to cut him some slack....especially when that injury took place in his 3rd (and most crucial, development wise) year.
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfassad wrote:
Also, people give someone with a knee injury a full year of slack to see if he gets back to form....Langston Walker almost died last year....which to me should be a reason to cut him some slack....especially when that injury took place in his 3rd (and most crucial, development wise) year.

yea i always kinda liked walker. i thought he showed serious potential in his rookie year learning from the great lincoln kennedy. god what id do to have kennedy back on the raiders in his prime. and shell and wisnewski and otto... haha
Saesarsalad15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the solution to this problem is a better offensive coordinator...players repond to how they are coached. Our lineman arent really that bad. They just havent been coached right.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: