Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive backfield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Defensive backfield Reply with quote

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Surtain is going to start the 2005 season in Miami.

1) How many of you would trade Sam Madison to the Chiefs for a 4th round pick?
2) How many of you think that Sam Madison might just get cut anyway?

Now, let's assume that Surtain will be definitely be empolyed elsewhere in 2006.

3) Would you trade Surtain, mid-season, to get value from him?
4) Would you apply the franchise tag him after the 2005 season and try to work out a trade?
FF Member #1031
sox2004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if id trade madison for a 4th rounder,i think the guy can still play,and under this new system that hides its coverages and blitz,he might have a comeback year,as for surtain,if i could get close to equal value,he would be on the next thing smokin..he is no team player,and those guys wont be here,thank god,its a breath of fresh air..i think our line/linebackers will be much better,produce more sacks and take the pressure off the secondary,i was never a big fan of knight,i think jones is an upgrade,even if its just speed,i think i could give knight a good race,so,i think as a whole,defensively,we will be fine,and we should at least add a weapon on offense,wich should free up everyone...if what i was readin is correct,surtain is going to cash in,so franchising him doesnt make sense in the long run Cool
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Madison cut or trade would only save us 1-2 mil against the cap after his restructuring last year.

The franchise tag idea I like but depending on how he did the past year... Remember either way well likely get a pick for him, ina trade or a compensatory.
pigfuggah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt trade Sam for a 4th rounder. IF the only other option is cutting him, then yeah I guess so, but I think he provides leadership and he is still a very solid player.

Now to Surtain.... Yes I would trade him midseason if we could get equal or more value than we could get right now. Meaning a 2nd or a combo of picks (2nd and 5th). Who knows, a team may feel that they are 1 DB away from winning it all. What is the price they would pay?
frankmoore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for your feedback.

Just so you know my position, I'm in favor of trading Surtain now. I'm a huge proponent of the "get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late" philosophy. (I think that one of the best personnel moves Wannstedt made was cutting Daryl Gardener. Overrated player who was a lockerrom nightmare, but I digress...) But I would want to drive the return value for Surtain instead of have it fall to the whims of the compensatory pick algorithm (remember, we all thought Todd Wade would bring us in at least a 5th). Besides, he's going to want the same amount of money regardless of where he goes, and the franchise tag number for CBs was $10M this year. No reason to destroy next year's cap just for the sake of "returning value".

I'd keep Sam Madison around. He's one of the better CBs in football (when healthy) and, while his stats didn't show it last year, his level of play was the best it had been since 2001. Besides, according to Jason Cole (Miami Herald) Madison's cap cost for 2005 is about $3M. If he were cut, his cap cost would be about $3M.

A thought that I haven't mentioned, but have been kicking around is whether we might see the Dolphins move Will Poole to FS. He's got the size to play the position and showed last preseason that he is a playmaker. I'm thinking that if he isn't the starting LCB next year, he might push Tillman for FS.
FF Member #1031
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poole will either start at CB or be our nickel back. i like having four CB's-We can play a killer dime. SO, unless Edwards looks great and I mean great and Howard beats Poole, then Poole should stay.
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I would definately not trade Madison for a 4th round pick.
2. I don't think that Madison will be cut, he will be the experienced veteran on our D-backfield, which is filled deep with youngsters. I would hold on to Madison for as long as possible and I hope he retires a dolphin. But, since we are keeping Surtain in this scenario...a trade further down the line could be possible.
3. Possibly, depending on the progress of will poole and howard. If we feel as though we can win games and cover deep with the defensive backs that we have, then it wouldn't be a bad idea.
4. I believe that this depends solely on the situation with Randy McMichael. If McMichael hasn't been signed when its time to apply the tag, then its a tough descision.

But, overall I think we will get the #46 pick for Surtain in the next couple of weeks.
FF Member #1000
frankmoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pure speculation on my part, but I'm also expecting that Miami drafts Junior Rosegreen from Auburn somewhere on Day-2 of the draft. Tebucky Jones is a stop-gap who's only going to be around for one year (from what I understand, his contract is set up much like Brian Griese's was 2 years ago). Rosegreen would need to get physically bigger to take over as the starting SS, but he has the ball skills that should allow him to excel in the NFL. He'd also be a key contributor on special teams.
FF Member #1031
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great insight. If they pick up Rosegreen, then I'm sure they could find a good SS between Bua and Rosegreen.
FF Member #1000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: