You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs Draft Primer Discussion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Chiefs Draft Primer Discussion Reply with quote

Positions of Need (# of players needed)

CB (2) - The Chiefs have continually drafted college safeties and tweeners that had good athletic abilty and plugged them in at corner. Warfield is the only player who's had any success at this for the Chiefs. When you watch the Chiefs cover .. their athletic abiltiy does not make up for their total lack of instinct !!! William Bartee will be cut. Battle may be looking at a move to Safety. McCleon is a serviceable 'DIME' corner and maybe 'Nickel' The Chiefs need a #1 CB and a #3 and will probably have to do so thru FA/Trade and their 2nd draft pick.

Possibilities: Fred Smoot (restricted, Ken Lucas, Kevin Mathis, Andre Dyson, Ty Law (heard he will be gone ?) Charles Woodsen (injury prone?) Gary Baxter, Carlos Rogers (Auburn) Will Blackmon (BC) Antonio Perkins (OU)

LB (2) - I do wonder how the LB's would have played if it was Fujita, Maz, Barber all year. Fujita is a FA and altho I think he is a decent player .. he is not an impact player. If it was Barbers contract or Kawika Mitchells contract either of them would be gone as well. It just happens to be Fujita this year and I think he will not be retained. This spot is hopefully gonna be filled by Derrick Johnson in the draft .. I hope the Chiefs are able to move up and grab him. Another possibilty if we miss on DJ is to promote Keyaron Fox to that position. His scouting profile was that of a player who was fast and made plays sideline to sideline (drool). He is considered a little light (at that time) so adding a few pounds might be needed. He made some plays on special teams this year. If that was done then MLB would need to be addressed in the draft or FA. I've heard Maslowski wants to be playing again next year . . let me say this now .. despite how much I like Maz's heart . . he is not gifted enough physically to make plays all over the place. If I could have my way . . the Chiefs would open '05 with Johnson, Hartwell, Barber. Hartwell should be the 1st FA we target . . he won't be tho.

Possibilties: Derrick Johnson (Texas), Kendrell Bell (healthy ?), Keyaron Fox (promoted) Ahmad Brooks (Virgina - declared?), Channing Crowder (Florida - declared?) Kevin Burnett (Tennesee) , Brian Simmons, Nate Webster, James Kinney (Mizzou- move to OLB) and Edgerton Hartwell

Other Positions of need:

WR - Travis Taylor is a FA from the Ravens. He's a better reciever than he's shown in that sorry offense. 6'0 . . fast . . strong

DE - Jared Allen needs to continue his growth . Eric Hicks is serviceable. some depth here or someone to replace Hicks wouldn't hurt.

OL - Roaf ain't gonna be here forever. Walter Jones may be available from Seattle. If we could swing it. . he could play RT for a year and then take over for Roaf at LT. Jordon Black needs to grow more .. could be RT of future.

QB - Green is fairly young as far as wear and tear goes. Mike McMahon (Lions) intrigues me. Athletic .. needs maturity and poise.

anyway thats my thoughts as of now. feel free to discuss yours Very Happy
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!
2TP3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you think but I dont think they need help at the WR position They have Sammy Parker, He is very athletic and he can catch the ball, theres also a guy alot of people forgot about from the preseason, Richard Smith he is a track star and could eventually be a big play threat like Dante. Ive also heard rumors about Phillip Buchanon wanting out of Oakland, maybe the Chiefs could trade thier 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. I know he kinda got that cocky atitude about him but he shows resentment for the Raiders and maybe that can give our D that extra fire and desire to take thier game to the next level.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Jones would be a long shot for the chiefs..I mean what happened to your guys John Welbourn, and dont u have a decent backup for all positions in Chris Bober..?
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Jones is a luxury we can't afford. Not with our D. I like your thinking on most everything else, especially LB and CB. It would Xmas in April if Derrick Johnson or even Ahmad Brooks were available when we pick. CB is more likely.

I would like to see more of Julian Battle before they write him off. He can't be much worse than Bartee or Warfield but they never play him. Does anyone know why? It seems they aren't very patient with him.
dirtybirdsn04

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.C. needs to trade a RB for some draft picks or some Def help. Put a decent''D'' in KC and they'll be hard to beat.
conkiejoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson will be gone way before the chiefs even think about their pick. I'm kind of enamoured by Marlin Jackson out of Michigan. God knows we need corner help desperately. And I think he could help us right away. Of course, that guy who got trapped in the mountains by a boulder and cut off his own arm, could help our secondary right away. Do you guys think woods will ever get back to what he once was or even close? If we just have to go LB maybe blackstock will come out early.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya it was Dec 29th when I started this thread and alot of what I based my decisions on has changed.

Discuss Woods in the 'Secondary' thread.
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Stats: Irrelevant Status: Chief family for life!
Get well soon EB29!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: