You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why not Troy Smith??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobby8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Why not Troy Smith?? Reply with quote

With all this talk about which QB should be the number 1: Russell, Quinn, and a little bit of Brohm, how come nobody has made a serious argument for Smith???

He has that "it" factor that people question Russell might not have.
He has the durability that Brohm lacks.
And he's the anti-Quinn in terms of winning big games.

All he does is win. Arm strength is good with decent acuraccy. Mobolity is nice. Decision making is solid. Poise and leadership are outstanding. Other than he lacks ideal height, I can't really find a real problem with his game. I'm not saying we should take him with the #1 pick, but why isn't he even considered as being the #1 QB available??

I think GMs are gonna make a big mistake by passing on him based on height alone. Someone is gonna make the steal of the draft when they pick up Troy late first, early second. And I really hope its the Raiders.

What you guys think??
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know after tomorrow's game.

Wink
nickdawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Smith could very well end up being the best quarterback in the Draft, and a real asset to whomever drafts him. But, the obvious knock on him (size) could end up being enough to drop him to the late 1st/early 2nd.

Why wouldn't you wait to take him, in that case? It'd cost a whole lot less to trade back up into the late 1st to grab him, and you would still have whichever player you took with the higher first.
nakka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but then again OSU is a great team all around.

That helps somewhat.
It's not like Smith wins all those games himself.
Barnett56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First overall I think is a big reach. He isn't even projected as a first round pick as of right now. Maybe Calvin Johnson in round one, trade Randy Moss, and draft Troy Smith in round two?

If that happened, and if I was a Raiders fan, I would be pretty happy.
pfassad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take Peterson first (which I am ok with), then we might not have any choice.....although I like Colt Brenner.
silverandblack6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by drafting Troy Smith you mean in the second round then yes I would love that if we dont take Russell in the first. Smith is not a top 5 player by no stretch of the imagination.
bobby8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so besides the aforementioned height, what exactly do Russell, Quinn, and Brohm have that make them top 5 picks that Smith lacks???
Barnett56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobby8 wrote:
Ok so besides the aforementioned height, what exactly do Russell, Quinn, and Brohm have that make them top 5 picks that Smith lacks???

They are more NFL ready than Smith.
pfassad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brohm in top 5 is ridiculous....the most aggressive move I could agree with would be Miami at 9....or Atlanta at 10 (especially if Schaub is gone) or even better to Carolina at 14. I don't know if Smith will make it past Baltimore.....
philzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnett56 wrote:
bobby8 wrote:

I'm not tryin to be a A-hole, but that is is just the most irritating and retarded thing i keep hearing people say ... THEY ALL PLAY AT THE SAME LEVEL OF FOOTBALL!!! and WHO is playing for the NATIONAL TITLE!?!?!? SMITH...i mean how are they more "NFL" ready then Smith?? what exactly makes you "NFL ready" ??? i just dont get how people say Troy is the least NFL ready QB when all he does is win and he has lead his team to the national title game this year and a bowl win last year over the "mighty" Quinn( who is soooo overrated it's getting annoying).. i mean the buckeyes were #1 allllll year and they didnt drop one spot because of his leadership to keep his team together whenever he needed to... ya i know he has a great team around him that helps tremendously.. but put Zwick back in his spot.. where would that put the BUCKEYES NOW??? probably not even in the top 10... come on he didnt win the hiesman cuz he was just a "supporting actor" on that team.. AND he didnt just WIN the hiesman.. he DESTROYED the other 2 candidates that were running ... (who was last in that heisman race by the way?? lol) anyways... he was and still is the leader of that team.. his stats are rediculious (not that it means everything) but he shows up week in and week out... If you ask me i think Smith is the #1 QB in the draft and i'm praying we get him. HE'S A WINNER AND YOU CANT DENY IT!
Barnett56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philzy wrote:
Barnett56 wrote:
bobby8 wrote:

I'm not tryin to be a A-hole, but that is is just the most irritating and retarded thing i keep hearing people say ... THEY ALL PLAY AT THE SAME LEVEL OF FOOTBALL!!! and WHO is playing for the NATIONAL TITLE!?!?!? SMITH...i mean how are they more "NFL" ready then Smith?? what exactly makes you "NFL ready" ??? i just dont get how people say Troy is the least NFL ready QB when all he does is win and he has lead his team to the national title game this year and a bowl win last year over the "mighty" Quinn( who is soooo overrated it's getting annoying).. i mean the buckeyes were #1 allllll year and they didnt drop one spot because of his leadership to keep his team together whenever he needed to... ya i know he has a great team around him that helps tremendously.. but put Zwick back in his spot.. where would that put the BUCKEYES NOW??? probably not even in the top 10... come on he didnt win the hiesman cuz he was just a "supporting actor" on that team.. AND he didnt just WIN the hiesman.. he DESTROYED the other 2 candidates that were running ... (who was last in that heisman race by the way?? lol) anyways... he was and still is the leader of that team.. his stats are rediculious (not that it means everything) but he shows up week in and week out... If you ask me i think Smith is the #1 QB in the draft and i'm praying we get him. HE'S A WINNER AND YOU CANT DENY IT!

Arm strength, release time, velocity, knowledge, height (Troy Smith is only 6'1" which is pretty short for a quarterback). Overall strength, pass accuracy... all of these things come into play, and Quinn, Brohm, and Russell are all better in those categories than Troy Smith.
Juan00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Smith a lot, and have all season, but he doesn't possess freaky abilities and that's why he won't go #1 overall. Quinn actually has better tools than Smith, but still hasn't put it all together in the brain department the way Smith has. Russell has a freak arm and is a big QB, which is why so many people are drooling over him right now. Whomever drafts Smith is going to get themselves a very good QB who won't be a freak but cold turn out to be a quality starter in the NFL.
MNBuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philzy wrote:
Barnett56 wrote:
bobby8 wrote:

So what that he plays on the #1 team and won the Heisman??? Heard of Charlie Ward??? Heisman winning QB on the top ranked Seminoles. Won the Heisman by the largest margin of victory to that date. He was a great leader on a great NCAA team, BUT, he was NOT an NFL QB.
Troy Smith might be an NFL QB someday, but I easily would rather have Russell or Quinn over him. If they pass on Russell and Quinn, he would be great in round 2 like Drew Brees was (probably would have to trade up into rd 1 though).
PA_RAIDERFAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the same things could've been said about Craig Krenzel a few years ago, he was a winner no matter what it took. Didn't have ideal size, but he had the "it" factor to win ball games.

I don't even believe he is in the league any more is he?

Smith is a different type of QB in that me can run a bit..but other than that I feel as though they had the same attributes coming out especially in that both of them had superb talent around them at every position.

Just a comparison I thought was relevant....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: