Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Moving up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamaal_03

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Moving up Reply with quote

How do you guys feel about the eagles moving up and drafting DT Travis Johnson or even Shaun Cody
Phreak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positive they will trade up. I would like to see them go after edwards or williams. Corey Simon said he wants to stay an eagle the rest of his career, and the eagles will try everything they can to sign him to a long term deal and the eagles have plenty of good/great defensive ends so i dont see the need to draft a D-linemen in the first round.

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
SIERK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that the Eagles will do everything they can to keep Corey. If he believes he's worth more than they are prepared to pay, he'll be gone. They won't get into a bidding war for him. I'd be fine with them re-signing him to a longer deal, but they aren't going to break the bank to keep him.

I just posted in another thread that I wasn't too thrilled with Johnson or Cody. I think a DE is more likely. In this draft, there are a number of 1st round talent DE's... then the talent drops off significantly.

For DT's, there aren't a lot of 1st round guys (only 2), but there are a number the might be available in later rounds.

As for WRs... I'm not sure I'd be willing to trade everything it'd take to get one of the big two. I kind of like Mark Clayton... a shifty-type WR seems like he'd fit amidst the speedsters (Lewis, Pinkston), and the main option (T.O.).
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the last 2 years ive been really shocked when the eagles have pulled the trigger on a move up in the 1st and although im again not expecting it they will probably do it again with all the picks they have. it will most likely be to target a lineman as Reid is on record saying that he likes Lineman in the 1st(3 out of last 5 years). IMO he'd probably only trade up for an impact position if either Mike Williams, Edwards or Johnson starts to fall.
They could trade up to grab someone like spears who could fit well at either end or Tackle, but as ever the eagles will probably surprise every1 when their on the clock !!

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phreak says,
"...and the eagles have " plenty of good/great " defensive ends
so i dont see the need to draft a D-linemen in the first round."

Well lets see,

WHO ???? Where are the great ones ?

The Old Guys: ages are as of the start of the 05 season.
Kearse, 29, he is a top DE but last year 7.5 sacks and injury prone ?
Kalu, 30, he is OK but not a top DE, injured a lot. Best Yr 03 had 5.5 Sack
Douglas, 34, OK as a part timer for now, Getting real old and injury prone last 3 yr

The Young Guys:
Green, McDougle, = Have not show anything and are injury prone !

Did I miss someone ?

SIERK is right again !
Simon has a little dog in him. Two thing motivate him = $$$$ & Trotter
If the eagles hand him a big bonus they loss one of the motivators $$$$
I think they know this and will keep the tag on him and pay him year by year until they do not want him. The Salary is fair and he seems happy.

DT Johnson came out of now where his senior yr. I think he is like Simons
and Plays hard for the contract year. He might have some dog in him ?

Eagles will draft a DE in 1st or 2nd round if they stay put.
If they move up then best player at DE, OT or WR is my guess

Last edited by JBlovethosebirds on Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
SIERK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, JB. The DE's we have are tough to rely on.

Kalu was out all last year.
Douglas is coming off shoulder surgery. I think Hugh will have a better year this year than last, but still, it is hard to count on him.
McDougle has been a flatline so far
Green can be dropped

All this, and we all know for a fact that the Eagles brass feels that the most important positions in the game are QB, OT, DE, CB. They've actually said that. Look at this regime's history, and you'll see that they do indeed spend the most money and highest draft picks on those positions.

Kalu and Douglas are UFA after this year. Green needs to show something or he'll be gone. If McDougle doesn't show anything this year, I think he's gone.

So, yeah, I think they go DE in the first round. I think they might even move up to do so.
JBlovethosebirds

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sierk,
We agree on most points but I think the Eagles might surprise
everyone and draft a WR high. Not in top 10 but maybe in 15 - 20 area.
I know they always talk OT, DE, QB, CB but after the experiment with
their hand picked WR thrash, Pink, Mitch, they saw the light and got TO
for big bucks. He is 32 this season and gets a big big bonus in 06.
And God help us if he get injuried early for the season !
I think the Eagles do not want to get in the same situation again which was having to go on the FA market for big $$$$. Its time for them to think ahead and get a good WR now. It takes a min of a year to develop fully in AR system as a WR.
But I would be happy with DE too
wynalda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Moving up Reply with quote

jamaal_03 wrote:
How do you guys feel about the eagles moving up and drafting DT Travis Johnson or even Shaun Cody
i hope they do that...i also think a edge rusher of high quality will be at pick 35 waiting to be a eagle.....and yes i believe the eagles could tradedown to say 15 without giving up that 35
Merged Pillow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is a team dumb enough to give us a future first for the 35th pick in this years draft i be lovin it. especially if it was a bad team like greenbay or the rams who think they are going to be giving us a pick in the 20's but could drop to top ten.
CandylandBills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a point moving down for a DT that they can get where they are at right now. I can see them moving up if they see a player at WR, TE (in particular Heath Miller), or LB who they really like (maybe even DE).
Eagles1fan5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A move up to grab Shawne Merriman would be huge for us or even drafting Justin Tuck. Tuck reminds me a lot of Dwight Freeney, small but very quick and with Kearse and Tuck at our DE's it'd be very nice. Tuck can also play some OLB if needed too. Also if we began to drop D-Lineman in coverage Tuck is the man for the job. Even David Pollack would be a nice pick up as he would do the same for us. But I would love to see Braylon and T.O. catching balls for McNabb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: