Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Needs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Draft Needs? Reply with quote

What do you think the chargers will do with their 2 first rounders? Do you think they'll get williams or edwards? Will they get Kiwanuka or Spears? Even an o-lineman like Elton Brown, Jonathon Scott or Marcus McNeil? Maybe even a safety. I'm curious to know what charger fans feel the biggest need is for our bolts.
vance415

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we pick up Mike Williams in the draft. and Spears or Mathias. And if USC saftey Darnell Bing comes out i think we should take him also.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that would be nice, but do you think the chargers will have to trade up to get williams? I think they will have about the eighth pick and i don't think williams will fall that far. If the chargers do trade up what would you give up? I like Bing, but he has been injury plagued throughout his career. How long do you think Jerry Wilson has left in his tank?
vance415

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think they will have to traide up for williams. more than likely with the bears. but i think he will be worth it. yeah bing has been injuryed plagued but if he gets over it he could be good. to bad we took rivers over sean taylor last year. haha. as for jerry wilson he is 32 i beleive so he probalby has a year or 2 left in him.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A frickin Free Saftey.
jesseelder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Chargers Needs Reply with quote

After the Colts game here is what I think the Chargers need in order.

1. Pass Rushing DE - I tink Steve Foley is perfect rushing from one side but we need a DE to help him out. I think a guy like Kiwanuka or James would be a good pickup. I know they are not prototypical DEs in a 3-4 defense but I think they can put on some weight and not be a liability in rushing downs. The prefect DE for us would be Shaun Cody and not Marcus SPears because I just like Cody's pass rushing ability bettter than Spears.

2. FS - Jerry Wilson just cannot cut it and is the biggest liability back there. Guys like Davis or Bing would be good additions. Or they can pick up a CB and maybe move Jammer or Davis to FS. Or pick up Rolle or Jackson and move him to safety.

3. OT - They have a good line but you cannot have enough OTs to groom and also be valuable back-ups.

4. WR - Not really a need with the emergence of Eric Parker, Reche Caldwell before he got injured, and Kassim Osgood. I know they are not superstar WRs but they get the job done and get lots of help from Gates and McCardell.

5. DT - Jammal Williams is great but I would like to see them bring in a capable back-up. Jason Fisk is way too undersized for the NT position.

6. FB - Lorenzo Neal is still going strong but with the hits he takes how long can he last. Picking up a back-up to groom is a good insurance policy.

7. LBs - You can never have too many in a 3-4 defense.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with your needs except i think that a mlb and fb is a bigger need than nt. Godfrey and edwards are old and Zeke Moreno is too injury prone to be a reliable backup at the mlb position. As for fb, Lorenzo Neal will be 35 years old next year and I think picking up Kyle Eckel from Navy will be a good addition to eventually replace Neal.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For draft needs I'd say a DE opposite Igor. I am really pushing that they either get Marcus Spears from LSU or they get Chris Canty in the second round. Another need is FS many people want to draft one but if everyone remembers we have 21 mil under the cap. Dwight Smith you know Gates' best friend would be an incredible pick up. Also, I don't want a rookie FS coming in here and trying to learn this system I'd much rather have Dwight Smith. Another possibility might be Will Demps from Baltimore Ravens. As for DE I think we need to draft one. All the DE's that are free agents cannot fit our 3-4 system. Another need which in my view is not necessary is WR. We don't need great WR's to win. Although, it does help. Also, a minor need would be an LB cause from what I'm hearing Godffrey wanted to retire last year but he wants a ring. So, I'm not sure it sounds like he might just retire after this year. I would pickup Kirk Morrison in that situation to take over. Another minor need would be another DT Jamal Williams is one of the best if not the best NT in the game today. But, he's around 30 so I don't know how much longer he'll last especially in the NT position. Lastly, I'd get help on the o-line at least backups or a stud LT since Oben is around 30-33 years of age.

Those are all the needs I think the Chargers will have to consider. The CB position is good not great but pretty good. Florence is probably our best and he's a second rounder. Jammer could be great if he turns and looks at the ball every now and then. Kiel is pretty good too. Davis needs some work but it's only his second year. I think he needs to build a little bit more muscle to be effective. Jerry Wilson is a FA next year and I say we let him go. He is beaten over the top too much he is serviceable but in Indy I saw him fall down when Stockley caught the 49th touchdown from Peyton.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Jammer can be a FS. Hedrops back too much and hits pretty dang hard. But i thinking getting dwight smith would be good, is he really Gate's best friend?
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dwight Smith is Gates' childhood friend. He also did an incredible job on Gates who I think had 1 catch for 17 yards in that game. I'm really hoping we get him through FA. I'm sure Gates will push to get him as well. With Smith in our secondary there is no telling what we could do on defense. We will still need a big body on DE too. But with good pass rush and a young secondary and improved. We should and can do great things for a while. Here's hoping that chemistry keeps clicking the way it has been for this whole year.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith would be quite an aquisition. Drafting Marviel Underwood from sdsu in the 4th round would be great. He is underrated because he plays in the mountain west conference, but i've watched all their games and underwood is a beast. He's like will demps(who also went to sdsu and was an undrafted free agent) and he could have a bright future in the nfl.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope we get help in FS position. After watching today's game I saw Wilson slip again like he did in the Indy game. We don't need an FS that slips way too much grass or turf he just slips way too much. I really want Smith cause he did a great job against Gates when Tampa played us. So, he could help our secondary and could also cover most TE's if need be. It was great watching Rivers finally play. He did decent not too good but not too bad either.
LittleTrainJames

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: HUH??? Reply with quote

Charger-man

Your signature says Chargers = Divisional round playoff loss to New England?

Are you predicting the Donkeys beating the Colts next week in Indy?

If not then it would be an AFC Championship loss to New England.

If we win and Indy wins we travel to Pittsburgh for the divisional round.
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Damn Eli Waaaaaaaaning! Reply with quote

Well, Eli got some measure of revenge against the Chargers. His last minute touchdown drive dropped the Chargers from the 6th pick to the 12th. No chance of Mike Williams now without trading up and I agree, I wouldn't trade up to get him. If somehow Braylon falls to us, I would tab him.

Otherwise, I would look to get the best DE to fit our system, then safety (assuming we aren't able to get a good one in FA, as discussed above, although I HOPE we do!), and then try to get a speed receiver later on.

What did we give up in the McCardell trade, a #2 or a #3?
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Damn Eli Waaaaaaaaning! Reply with quote

sd screenwriter wrote:
Well, Eli got some measure of revenge against the Chargers. His last minute touchdown drive dropped the Chargers from the 6th pick to the 12th. No chance of Mike Williams now without trading up and I agree, I wouldn't trade up to get him. If somehow Braylon falls to us, I would tab him.

Otherwise, I would look to get the best DE to fit our system, then safety (assuming we aren't able to get a good one in FA, as discussed above, although I HOPE we do!), and then try to get a speed receiver later on.

What did we give up in the McCardell trade, a #2 or a #3?

We gave up a 3rd round pick. I think if the giants gave us a high 10 pick that we would have gotten their 3rd pick as well but that didn't happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: