Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

rbens06 Pre-combine mock draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: rbens06 Pre-combine mock draft Reply with quote

Season
The Packers disappointing loss to Seattle gives them the 30th pick.

Cap
Based on what I could find the Pack have $7,791,106 million to rollover into next season. I am going to guess the cap goes to $142 million in 2015 (which is a slightly lower percentage jump than 2013 to 2014) and with active contracts/dead money for 2015 at $124,834,379, the Pack have, with rollover money, a total of $24,369,707 in available room

Cuts/Restructure
AJ Hawk I actually donít mind Hawk on the roster. I acknowledge that he has some limitations, but if I would not mind having a veteran linebacker on the roster heading into the offseason. However, the cap number just isnít right for what his role was at the end of last season. I would not be surprised to see him gone, but as of right now I am going to have him restructured to a 2 year deal worth a maximum of $5 million with incentives. Cap goes up by 2 million
Brad Jones Jones rarely saw the field on defense anymore and the price tag is way to high for special teams only. Cap goes up by $3.75 million

The Packers still have the option to work out a restructure with Peppers if they desire, but as of right now they are content with the contract in place. Salary cap goes up to by $5.75 million to $30,119,707

Resign
QB Matt Flynn Another year to compete as a backup. Flynn may not be the top end backup, but he is suitable and has a good understanding of the offense. 1 year around league minimum. Cap goes down by $1 million
QB Scott Tolzien Tolzien hopefully shows some in season growth (more mental) and can give some hope he can be the backup for the next few seasons. 2 year deal worth $2 million (little to no guarantee). Cap goes down by $750,000
FB John Kuhn Kuhnís days are limited, but I think they still bring him back until they have a guy in place. He may not make the final cut, but I think he is initially brought back. 1 year $1 million. Cap goes down by $1 million
WR Randall Cobb Cobb played well this year and earned himself a new contract. I think TT knows his value to the offense and will want him back. Itís reported Cobb is seeking a deal that averages $9 million per year. I think that number is palpable for Cobb, but if that is what he is seeking I think TT will be able to negotiate a cheaper deal. TT gives him a 5 year $40 million deal that averages to $8 million per year. Cap goes down by $6 million
OT Bryan Bulaga I think that Bulaga played well this year and stayed relatively healthy all year. He still has an injury history that may play into his value. Play wise, I think he is a solid tackle that isnít really elite in any one category, but he does everything well. TT hands him a 5 year $30 million deal that includes incentives based on staying healthy. Cap goes down by $4.5 million
NT BJ Raji If anyone benefited from Guionís legal situation it was Raji. Raji was having a pretty solid camp last year until he got injured. The injury likely prevents him from drawing heavy interest in free agency from other teams. The Packers offer him another 1 year prove it deal. Cap goes down by $1.5 million
CB Tramon Williams Williams has arguably been the most consistent corner for the past 1 Ĺ seasons for us. He is a little older, but he still has been solid in coverage. He definitely is not worth what his cap number was last year, but as a veteran that can man the outside for us he has a spot here still. House is the younger, higher ceiling player, but House has been inconsistent/injured every year he has been here. Williams has, for the most part, been available and consistent. He signs a 2 year deal worth $7 million. Cap goes down by $3.5 million
ILB Jamari Lattimore Lattimore offers solid depth and good special teams play. With his injury I hope we can retain him on the cheap. 1 year league minimum deal. Cap goes down by $750,000

Cap goes down by $18.25 million to $11,119,707 million

Not Retained
CB Davon House I like House and his potential and would love to see him back, but right now the market probably will be hotter for him than Williams and could price us out of him. Plus I think the fact he has never put together a full season of consistent/injury free play will play a role in the decision between Williams and House.
CB Jarrett Bush I like him as a special teams player, but we decide to go younger and cheaper.
DuJuan Harris I donít mind the idea of Harris as our third back, but he was deactive against Seattle in the playoffs and I donít see him offering much to the team. A younger, more explosive back or someone that can offer us some better special teams play is a better option at this point.

Restricted Free Agents
*I will use last yearís numbers for the tenders for now.
OT Don Barclay Moving forward if/when Barclay is healthy he can provide the line with a lot of flexibility and value on gamedays. However, Tretter might be able to develop into that guy too, so Barclay only gets an original round tender. Cap goes down by $1.431 million
S Sean Richardson[i] Richardson is a solid backup and special teams player, so I think he will be retained, but not with a tender. The Pack bring him back at league minimum. [i]Cap goes down by $750,000
WR Jarrett Boykin Boykin has clearly fallen from the third receiver spot and a with some young guys like Janis and Abbredaris I donít think the Packers put up the tender money to retain him. I donít think Boykin is a bad depth guy to have, but I think our younger receivers are more talented.

Cap goes down by $2.181 million to $8,938,707 million

I will just conservatively estimate $5.5 million for the draft class (I know the actual offset is about half of that, but to be conservative I will use the whole amount). Cap goes down by $5.5 million to $3,438,707 million

Draft
I am going to have some optimism that we will get two 5th round compensatory picks.

1. Marcus Peters CB Washington 6í0 198lbs

I think Peters is the most talent corner in this draft (although Waynes is very close). I love his size, aggression and awareness he plays with. I think that Waynes offers more from a technique standpoint, but Peters has more athleticism to work with. Peters certainly will have to pass the interview process with flying colors in order to be considered here. I think that with his skill-set he can be a good guy to come in and offer us reps when called upon and be an excellent replacement for Williams down the road.

2. Denzel Perryman ILB Miami (Fl) 5í11 242lbs

I think guys like McKinney, Kendricks and Dawson are going to be more impressive in shorts and get pushed ahead of Perryman by a lot of people. I donít think it is anything against Perryman, but just the nature of the draft process. Perryman is an aggressive linebacker, sometimes to a fault. I like the way he attacks and finishes plays. He is a strong tackler that is not afraid of contact, but seems to relish in it. I will take an ILB that attacks the ball with aggression and will occasionally over pursue plays compared to a more timid linebacker. I think that Perryman and Barrington would be a different intensity level at ILB than what we have had in the past and can make this defense tougher.

3. Jay Ajayi RB Boise State 6í0 216lbs

I donít think we need a back this high, but this would be good value and a very good complement to Lacy. His speed, agility and acceleration would be a big change of pace from Lacy. When he actually sees the hole, hits it and gets into open space he is a threat to take it the distance. He has the ability to contribute in the passing game too.

4. Geneo Grissom OLB Oklahoma 6í3 264lbs

I see some potential for him as an edge rusher. He has a solid burst and speed to get up field and after the quarterback. He needs to refine technique from a 3-4 OLB spot, seeing he only 1 year of experience there, but he should be able to provide quality depth as a pass rusher and someone that we can try to develop in case Perry and/or Neal is not retained after next season.

5. Jalston Fowler FB Alabama 5í11 264lbs

A holdover from my last mock; Fowler just seems almost too good of a fit for us right now that I donít want to change the pick.

5. Nick Boyle TE Delaware 6í5 265lbs

Athletically, he is not going to impress you. As a pass catcher he is not going to be a guy you heavily lean on, but someone that can be a good safety option in the short range passing attack and does have some potential to work with. He will offer a lot more as a blocker and hopefully special teams.

5. Derrick Lott DT Tennessee Chattanooga 6í4 300lbs

Lott has the frame and length to function as a 3-4 end in base packages as well as someone that can offer us an inside pass rush in our sub packages.

6. Taylor Kelly QB Arizona State 6í2 205lbs

Kelly has good mobility to fit with what we already have and has a decent arm to work with. Someone that most likely wonít be ready to be the number two as a rookie, but someone to compete with Tolzein for that 3rd QB/developmental guy.

7. Andrew Donnal OT Iowa 6í6 300lbs

Donnal is someone that has position flexibility as a guard/tackle prospect.

Depth Chart
Offense
QB: Rodgers, Flynn, Kelly
RB: Lacy, Starks, Ajayi
FB: Kuhn, Fowler
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Abbredaris
TE: Rodgers, Quarless, Boyle, Perillo
OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Barclay
OG: Sitton, Lang, Donnal
OC: Linsley, Tretter
Offense Total: 25
Defense
DE: Jones, Daniels, Thornton, Lott
NT: Raji, Pennel
OLB: Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Grissom
ILB: Barrington, Perryman, Hawk, Bradford, Lattimore
CB: Shields, Williams, Hayward, Peters, Goodson
S: Burnett, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, Richardson
Defense Total: 25

K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Goode
Special Teams Total: 3
Team Total: 53

***Roster cut: Scott Tolzien saves us $750,000, plus actual draft costs of only $2.5 million (this still could be high). Cap goes up by $3.75 million to $7,188,707 million.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it - well thought out and presented. I do agree if a 1st round caliber CB is there I suspect it's a pretty good bet that TT would seriously consider taking him.
byzr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it. feels like we are keeping the core team together hopefully Raji can perform as well if not better than Guion at NT. i like keeping Williams over House too i think we will get more production out of Williams. House has to stay healthy.

i'd like to see us sing an ILB in FA and draft one but i can't argue it's hard to imagine.

don't we already have TEs like Boyle on the roster? why draft another and not go after more of receiver type?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor is that Peters isn't on our board, and I have every reason to believe that's true with his issues. Can't throw punches at your coaches.

Perryman's likely the one ILB that goes round 1. I highly doubt he falls to 62. He's too good of a player even as a mediocre athlete. Coaches love those types of hitters.

Ajayi's ball security issues are horrifying.

Like Fowler and Grissom where you've got them.

Boyle does not project as a stand out ST guy. Those guys have to be able to run and he doesn't run well.

Lott is going to be 25 when camp opens but as a 6th rounder who cares. I like the pick.

Kelly works.

You could probably grab Donnal in FA with our Iowa ties, but that's nitpicking.
Playoffs: the combined record of Brady, Manning, Montana, Marino, Elway, Favre, Young, Staubach, Jim Kelly, Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Ben Roethlisberger when their defenses have given up 37 or more points? It's 0-24.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Rumor is that Peters isn't on our board, and I have every reason to believe that's true with his issues. Can't throw punches at your coaches.

Perryman's likely the one ILB that goes round 1. I highly doubt he falls to 62. He's too good of a player even as a mediocre athlete. Coaches love those types of hitters.

Boyle does not project as a stand out ST guy. Those guys have to be able to run and he doesn't run well.

Lott is going to be 25 when camp opens but as a 6th rounder who cares. I like the pick.

Kelly works.

This is pretty spot on analysis of this draft from my point of view as well. I do not see Peters on the Packer's draft board and I do not have him on mine. There are some players you simply take off your list and pretend they do not exist and hope another team takes him so your players are more likely to slide to you.

Not so sure we should resign Flynn honestly. That position needs an upgrade now IMO. If Tolzien is ready and is resigned, Flynn will not be. If Flynn is resigned, I do not know why the Packers would resign Tolzien. I think it is one or the other this year, not both.
5thStringQB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't love all the prospects but I really like the way it's set up.

I love Waynes but CB in round one seems TT esque this year
RB in the early rounds is a thoughtful pick to compliment Lacy. No JTrain for me either tho.
Kelly is trash.

Overall every position is addressed in a believable slot. Definitely some thought put into it. Good work!
Polaris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobb is asking for $9 million/year, you'r offering $8.

Bulaga is looking for top RT money...around $7 million/year. You're offering less.

Tramon Williams would command well over $3.5 million on the open market.

So I think you lose all three of those guys to free agency at those prices.

Regarding Flynn and Tolzien, everything you hear out of the organization is that they love Tolzien, he's picked up the offense much faster than previous projects, etc. You don't keep a guy on the 3rd string forever...either he's good enough to move up, or you replace him. I think he'll be our #2 this year and I also think we'll take a QB in the draft so Flynn is almost certainly done in Green Bay.

I've got real issues with Perryman, too. He's pretty freakin' short for a guy that you expect to guard 6'6" TEs. It wasn't an issue in college but it's going to be in the pros.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byzr wrote:
i'd like to see us sing an ILB in FA and draft one but i can't argue it's hard to imagine.

don't we already have TEs like Boyle on the roster? why draft another and not go after more of receiver type?

I have us keeping Hawk and Lattimore for depth and insurance in case the draft doesnt get us a high round pick. FA definitely is an option, but if we keep those 2 I don't see us signing another one.

I would want a more receiving threat at TE too, but I didnt see that guy available at that slot. I thought about Saxton, but I have used him before and wanted to change it up.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if we get 2 5th's you know we're going to use our regular 5th to package and trade up somewhere.

With ILB as by far the biggest need AND with you having Williams come back, it doesn't make much sense to go CB that early, not when Perryman or Kendricks might still be on the board. Many people are mocking Kendricks into the 1st round now.

Going RB in the 3rd is a head scratcher too although I like Ajayi as a prospect. I don't see him as a compliment to Lacy, however. We've also got a guy with Ajayi's physical traits on the roster in Raijon Neal. Grissom is too much like Nick Perry IMHO. I think we need to be looking at a slightly smaller edge rusher with some speed. Grissom's techniques as a tackler and his issues in coverage make him a big risk, even in the 4th.

I do, however, LOVE where you have Fowler. Kuhn is an extra pass protector at this point and doesn't give us what he used to in the short game.

Kelly's an interesting pick as is Donnal, but I'm not too fond of the Lott pick. I don't think Lott fits our scheme from what we look for in our DE's and he has durability concerns. We could do better.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Kelly works.

Yeah Peters is a definitely a guy that I can see/understand being off our board. It was hard to put him there, but before the combine and more info comes out on it and his interviews I kept in on the board, but barely kept him there.

I would not blink twice if Perryman did go in the first, just don't know how well he tests and guys that test bad at ILB, especially shorter ones, have had a history of falling. Definitely agree with you though, probably is more of a wishful thinking pick.

Ajayi's ball security is a concern for me too, but with Starks still here for at least one more year Ajayi doesn't have to be used heavily and can be used as a change up guy every now and then while he works on improving his ball security. Guys like Barber, Green and Grant (IIRC) overcame this issue for the most part.

Definitely agree with you on Boyle and that's why I have more hope he can play some ST. I don't think he can play all ST right now, but he should be able to play some.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Kelly works.

This is pretty spot on analysis of this draft from my point of view as well. I do not see Peters on the Packer's draft board and I do not have him on mine. There are some players you simply take off your list and pretend they do not exist and hope another team takes him so your players are more likely to slide to you.

Not so sure we should resign Flynn honestly. That position needs an upgrade now IMO. If Tolzien is ready and is resigned, Flynn will not be. If Flynn is resigned, I do not know why the Packers would resign Tolzien. I think it is one or the other this year, not both.

To me Flynn is a guy you know what you have, bringing him back won't really cost you anything. Tolzien is still progressing, so to me it makes sense to bring a guy like Flynn back as a fall back option in case you get into TC and Tolzien isn't where you expect him to be.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Kelly works.

To me Flynn is a guy you know what you have, bringing him back won't really cost you anything. Tolzien is still progressing, so to me it makes sense to bring a guy like Flynn back as a fall back option in case you get into TC and Tolzien isn't where you expect him to be.

If Tolzien, after a year and half in the system, is not where the Pack expects him to be, he will not be resigned. LIS, it is probably going to be one or the other, not both.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Cobb is asking for $9 million/year, you'r offering $8.

Cobb is asking for $9 and I am predicting it settles around $8. If it is true that Cobb is seeking $9 million a year there is a good chance negotiations bring that number down. Odds are TT isn't going to go into negotiations and agree to the numbers Cobb presents. If this was closer to FA time then maybe, but with that number coming out now there is plenty of time to work out a deal.

Polaris wrote:
Bulaga is looking for top RT money...around $7 million/year. You're offering less.

Currently the highest paid RT from last year is $7 million. You can make a good argument that Bulaga is a better player, or at least right there with, all of the top RTs. But averaging the top ten RT is just under $6 million a year and the top 5 is just over $6 million a year. Bulaga has two major injuries during his rookie contract, which can be used to bring his value down.

Polaris wrote:
Tramon Williams would command well over $3.5 million on the open market.

This was a harder number for me to predict. Williams isn't going to get top CB money and guys like Verner, Browner, Lewis and Smith that all signed recently are in the $5-7 million range, which I don't see Williams, because of his age, in that caliber of guys. So I bumped it down a little.

Polaris wrote:
So I think you lose all three of those guys to free agency at those prices.

It will be interesting to see, but I do still have cap money that can be used to compensate for any shortages there might be.

Polaris wrote:
Regarding Flynn and Tolzien, everything you hear out of the organization is that they love Tolzien, he's picked up the offense much faster than previous projects, etc. You don't keep a guy on the 3rd string forever...either he's good enough to move up, or you replace him. I think he'll be our #2 this year and I also think we'll take a QB in the draft so Flynn is almost certainly done in Green Bay.

I agree that it does seem like Tolzien is a guy MM likes, but in my mind this is the year he has to take it from Flynn. He didn't beat out Flynn last year and MM didn't love him that much that they felt comfortable dressing him over Flynn during the season. Bringing both Tolzien and Flynn back doesn't really cost you anything, especially if you cut one during TC next year.

Polaris wrote:
I've got real issues with Perryman, too. He's pretty freakin' short for a guy that you expect to guard 6'6" TEs. It wasn't an issue in college but it's going to be in the pros.

I don't expect Perryman to be covering guys that are 6'6. Running backs and most tight ends yes. However, the bigger and more athletic tight ends
like Graham and Gronk are going to be schemed against like we did this year with Gronk. Hyde and HaHa probably get more of that responsibilities.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:

Kelly works.

If Tolzien, after a year and half in the system, is not where the Pack expects him to be, he will not be resigned. LIS, it is probably going to be one or the other, not both.

He might be where they want him now, but that doesn't mean he gets to where they want him to be during TC. Tolzien will still be in his second offseason with us, so there is still some expected growth by him. If that growth doesn't happen then he might be gone. To me, the minimal amount it costs to keep both around until or during TC is worth it. I don't think both make the roster, but I think/hope both make it to TC.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
First of all, if we get 2 5th's you know we're going to use our regular 5th to package and trade up somewhere.

I think 2 5th's are optimistic and the later two 5th's are guys that I think could be taken with a 6th compensatory too. I would guess TT would trade our 5th away too, but I am not going to predict trades right now.

NCPackFan wrote:
With ILB as by far the biggest need AND with you having Williams come back, it doesn't make much sense to go CB that early, not when Perryman or Kendricks might still be on the board. Many people are mocking Kendricks into the 1st round now.

I went with CB because even with Williams back we still need to keep an eye on the future. Hayward will be in the final year of his contract and Hyde is more of a slot type guy. Williams is at the end of his career, so to get a top end outside corner in the first is not something I would be against. I have no problem if Perryman is our 1st round pick.

NCPackFan wrote:
Going RB in the 3rd is a head scratcher too although I like Ajayi as a prospect. I don't see him as a compliment to Lacy, however. We've also got a guy with Ajayi's physical traits on the roster in Raijon Neal. Grissom is too much like Nick Perry IMHO. I think we need to be looking at a slightly smaller edge rusher with some speed. Grissom's techniques as a tackler and his issues in coverage make him a big risk, even in the 4th.

I can see how RB seems like a head scratcher, but Lacy's body takes punishment and Starks is a good 2, but on the last year of his deal and nearing the dreaded 30 for RBs. Ajayi I see as a different type of runner than Lacy. Lacy is more of the pounder. Neal might be similar, but I feel Ajayi's talent his higher than Neal.

I can see the Perry Grissom comparison. I mainly look at Grissom for his pass rushing year one. He will have to develop in other areas, but immediately I look for the pass rushing impact from him. Someone that can rep in now and then to keep our guys fresh. I like the idea of smaller, speedier guys to complement these bigger guys, but there is a chance you lose Neal, Perry and Pepper after this season and have none of those big OLBs left. We have seen the smaller, quicker rushers do well in TC, but get swallowed up in games and have little to no impact.

NCPackFan wrote:
I do, however, LOVE where you have Fowler. Kuhn is an extra pass protector at this point and doesn't give us what he used to in the short game.

I really like Fowler as a fit for us, almost to the point where it seems like it is too good to actually happen.

NCPackFan wrote:
Kelly's an interesting pick as is Donnal, but I'm not too fond of the Lott pick. I don't think Lott fits our scheme from what we look for in our DE's and he has durability concerns. We could do better.

Lott is purely picked for sub packages to be an inside rusher. I wouldn't anticipate him playing a ton as a base 3-4 end; we have some guys that can do that already and we don't play base enough for that to be a high priority. He has shown good anticipation and the ability to split inside double teams; something that should translate well as an inside rusher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: