Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PFF: NFL's top 100 players in 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skypilot

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: PFF: NFL's top 100 players in 2014 Reply with quote

Pro Football Focus is the media and fan standard most used for statistical player analysis. The Packers have seven players on the list, and one of them isn't Clay Mathews. TJ Lang and Mike Daniels have joined the list of elite NFL players, despite not getting the recognition outside of Green Bay. The top paler should come as no surprise. Here's the entire list (link below, cut/paste) and our lads:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/19/pffs-top-101-of-2014-10-to-1/

2014 Top 101 Rank Player Position Overall Grade 2013 Rank
2 Aaron Rodgers QB +40.4 Unranked
30 Jordy Nelson WR +20.5 39
35 Josh Sitton G +22.7 25
51 Eddie Lacy RB +19.8 70
58 Randall Cobb WR +12.3 Unranked
78 T.J. Lang G +23.1 Unranked
99 Mike Daniels DT +18.8 Unranked
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this one of the dangers of using Clay inside? If he is dropping off the radar of the football media, Clay may do some soul-searching about his role with the team. I noticed that, in a recent presser, MM took extreme care to praise Clay and identify him as one of the league's best pass rushing outside linebackers. Even Mike knows its an issue, and he's not one to be distracted by such things normally.

I think Green Bay fans still see our talent pyramid topped off with Aaron, Clay, and then a lot of others. It is odd that this exercise in Top-100ness did not see it that way at all.

[Edit: Oh I see...it's a statistical analysis. Still, I think the point stands.]

Having Clay play at ILB is good for the defense.
Having to play Clay at ILB is not.
SDN40

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay is taking down what I think is the top salary for OLB, yet I don't think that we have seen matching production in quite a while now. One could argue he wasn't even the best OLB on his own team last year.

While I like Clay, he does seem to be a bit arrogant. If the coaches want him to play some ILB next year to justify his 14 million, he and his brother just need to be quiet about it and do whats best for the team. If that means less shampoo endorsements or league wide notoriety then make more plays, that's not the coaches problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
Clay is taking down what I think is the top salary for OLB, yet I don't think that we have seen matching production in quite a while now. One could argue he wasn't even the best OLB on his own team last year.

While I like Clay, he does seem to be a bit arrogant. If the coaches want him to play some ILB next year to justify his 14 million, he and his brother just need to be quiet about it and do whats best for the team. If that means less shampoo endorsements or league wide notoriety then make more plays, that's not the coaches problem.
Arrogant? What has he ever done that would make you say he's arrogant? I don't recall him ever coming out and complaining about his move to ILB. He can't help what his brother says. I complain a ton about work and the people I work with to my gf, doesn't mean I ever want them to hear it or ever think they will.

Kempes on the custom sig!
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:

I think this is a fair counterpoint. I sure like it for its bluntness.

Having Clay play at ILB is good for the defense.
Having to play Clay at ILB is not.
fan-59

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
Isn't this one of the dangers of using Clay inside? If he is dropping off the radar of the football media, Clay may do some soul-searching about his role with the team. I noticed that, in a recent presser, MM took extreme care to praise Clay and identify him as one of the league's best pass rushing outside linebackers. Even Mike knows its an issue, and he's not one to be distracted by such things normally.

I think Green Bay fans still see our talent pyramid topped off with Aaron, Clay, and then a lot of others. It is odd that this exercise in Top-100ness did not see it that way at all.

[Edit: Oh I see...it's a statistical analysis. Still, I think the point stands.]

I don't think we we have much to go on with the play of the front 7 the first half of last season, except to say, Hawk hit the age wall, the quad scheme was a complete disaster, which forced them to a alternate scheme at the break, we had decent pass rush, but lacked any ability to stop the run.

after the break, we lined up single gaping our DT in a hybrid 40 front with Peppers and Perry at OLB and Clay at ILB with 5 DB's , with Hyde in the slot, that grouping shut down the run, it was a night and day type change with most credit seemingly going to moving Clay to the mack position.

I think it was more than just that though, to start the season the defense looked in a funk, confused, the quad scheme looked to be hurridly prepped, players looked frustrated, I'd like to be a fly on the wall to some of those defensive meetings during that bye week, it was easy to tell the players new they where a better defense then there showing the first half of the season, and after the scheme changes proved they where.

Clay is a OLB, the fact that he only had 2 sacks prior to the bye can be somewhat contributed to the group or schemes as a whole, obviously it's great to be able to move him around, he graded out just above average as a ILB which seems tainted since he had 6 sacks rushing from the position, McCarthy is right, he's one of the best OLB's in the game.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call their stats "PFF-nonsense."

Good to see that this site recognizes me for what I am -- users, take note. Cool
deathstar

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:

Their stats are pretty decent. It's the grading that most people have issues with.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Daniels should be higher, and Jordy maybe a little lower.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
IMO, Daniels should be higher, and Jordy maybe a little lower.

I love Mike Daniels, but the DT position is stupidly stacked right now.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
Kal-El wrote:

Their stats are pretty decent. It's the grading that most people have issues with.

I only keep it for what's in the signature stats.

Honestly, if you know your team, you can make sense of the grades pretty easily, knowing what is asked, what attention they're given, etc.

But when people try to group one position, or even worse AGAINST others. Then it's a joke.

For every guy that's correctly graded, IMO, there's one that's also hilariously bad.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
deathstar wrote:
Kal-El wrote:

Honestly, if you know your team, you can make sense of the grades pretty easily, knowing what is asked, what attention they're given, etc.

But when people try to group one position, or even worse AGAINST others. Then it's a joke.

For every guy that's correctly graded, IMO, there's one that's also hilariously bad.

And, yet they are all based on the same measurable criteria, which seems less subjective than other rankings based solely on opinion. Who doesn't think JJ Watt is the best defensive, if not the best player period in the NFL last year. Even Packers fans have to admit Watt could have won the MVP and AR wouldn't have been robbed.

Clay Mathews has been declining at OLB the past few years, yet the move inside saved the Packers D last season, and 3/4 of Clays sacks were from ILB.
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:

If Clay fell off the radar it wasn't because of his play the 2nd half of the season after he switched to ILB, it was his disappearing act at OLB early on.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Clay being arrogant.

Jesus christ some of you guys just make me shake my head.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
deathstar wrote:
Kal-El wrote:

And, yet they are all based on the same measurable criteria, which seems less subjective than other rankings based solely on opinion. Who doesn't think JJ Watt is the best defensive, if not the best player period in the NFL last year. Even Packers fans have to admit Watt could have won the MVP and AR wouldn't have been robbed.

Clay Mathews has been declining at OLB the past few years, yet the move inside saved the Packers D last season, and 3/4 of Clays sacks were from ILB.

Stats/sacks are not the be all and end all. Clay is so darn versatile he can play all of the LB positions while still having a huge impact and this is why I think he's one of the best and shows his true value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: