Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers interested in Aldon Smith
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chili

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Packers interested in Aldon Smith Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Ortiz Jr. ‏@xOrtiz4x 16h16 hours ago
Sources: Packers, Giants and Bears interested in FA Aldon Smith. Bears Vic Fangio was Smith's defensive coordinator in San Francisco.

So.....what do you think?

Quote:
At least four NFL teams have interest in signing ex-49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, but everything is in a holding pattern at the moment, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link). The NFL has yet to make a decision on a possible punishment for Smith and, as a result, teams are wary of signing him. If Smith were to sign with a club and then receive a year-long suspension, that would be a PR embarrassment for both the team and the league.

Smith, 25, was arrested by Santa Clara police on hit and run, DUI, and vandalism charges, though when he was released from jail in August, the outside linebacker disputed the fact that he had been driving under the influence. The incident was the latest in a series of off-field run-ins for Smith, who has had DUI arrests in the past, and missed nearly half the 49ersí games over the last two seasons after entering a rehabilitation facility in 2013 and serving a nine-game suspension in 2014.
http://www.profootballrumors.com/latest-on-aldon-smith/
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want the Bears to sign him, that's for sure.

As far as the Packers... First of all, I don't believe it. I refuse to believe that the Packers would be interested in a guy that's had not one, not two, but 97 instances of sheer stupidity.

Second, I don't want him. You listen to him talk and look at him while he talks and you can tell there's just not much there. Rob Gronkowski is dumber than a box of rocks, but at least he's a good guy that doesn't get into any trouble and seems to treat others with respect. Aldon Smith is a dumb guy that isn't also a good guy.

I sit here in the offseason and scoff at teams like Dallas who put physical talent over chemistry and character. I can't additionally be okay with the Packers signing somebody like Aldon Smith. I would be very upset if the Packers so much as brought him in for a visit.

And that's not to say I have a problem with substance abuse, and especially not alcohol. I have a problem with somebody who has every resource available to NOT get a DUI who still gets a DUI. He's a millionaire with free services from the NFL and he has to get behind a wheel drunk? And endanger the lives of himself and others? On top of all the other crap he's gotten involved in?

No thanks. Hope he stays far away from Green Bay.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Seriously?

Could be posturing by the agent. Could be true. With our Front Office you really won't know until he starts going on visits. Confused

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming he can get it together, I'm very into it.

I don't think he can get it together.

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Kal-El

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not buying it, myself. The Packers are always interested in a free-agent player, and yet, they never are. We are clearly just being used as a bargaining-chip since no one can ever confirm the truth of it.

Now, if this front-office signed him, I would be pretty happy and excited. They do not take character lightly, so signing him would mean they had compelling reason to believe in him.

In all likelihood, though, there is no compelling reason and they will not bother with LOLdon.

[quote="Macc_Aviv"](Mike Daniels) rushes the passer to get from point A to point B. Walking doesn't suit his personality.[/quote]
Willink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted did pick up a drunken Koren Robinson

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't get excited until he comes in for a visit. Until then it's just twitter speculation and people throwing out rumors.

That said, he's worth the risk. We aren't talking about a depth guy here, but one of the hardest things in the NFL to find.. which is a truly ELITE pass rusher. Smith is an all-pro and in the Von Miller/Justin Houston category when it comes to getting after the QB. I'd love for him to get his head straight and get after it in green & gold. He's a drunk, but that seems to be his only issue. If he can get that under control, I don't see why we wouldn't want him here. You're talking about boosting your Superbowl chances significantly.

This is me, reading your terrible posts.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:

Very good point. He did scout and draft Koren in SEA though so there was kind of a prior connection.

This will literally never happen but Clay/Aldon on the outside... My God

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:

Drunken. That was Koren's problem.

Aldon?

Here we go:
2012 - DUI
2012 - Stabbed, charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon
2013 - DUI, possession of marijuana
2014 - Had the brain that thought it was a good idea to declare that he had a BOMB in an AIRPORT.
2015 - Third DUI, felony hit and run and vandalism.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-Splitter wrote:
Willink wrote:

Drunken. That was Koren's problem.

Aldon?

Here we go:
2012 - DUI
2012 - Stabbed, charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon
2013 - DUI, possession of marijuana
2014 - Had the brain that thought it was a good idea to declare that he had a BOMB in an AIRPORT.
2015 - Third DUI, felony hit and run and vandalism.

Needs to be repeated
tttmikeb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they're interested in his skillset, but I can't imagine they'd ever commit to the player/character. I don't buy it.

.flash on the sig
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Ted call everyone that they've even a passing interest in (i.e. guys they would sign for the minimum)?
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't really buy that we are serious about Aldon.

2. If we are, and if we do sign Aldon, I would trust Ted 100% and I would be pumped to have a talent like Aldon.

3. Football or no football, hopefully he gets his life on track.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Packers do need to find an edge rusher. Peppers is old and Clay's getting up there in age

The culture in GB could certainly help. Packers brought Jolly back and re-signed Guion after his incident

Not expecting it but I wouldn't mind it

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: