Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Denver Broncos Off-Season.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOUNGtoOWENS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, before I start my rant...do you think Ngata will go in the draft. I mean he was injured most of this year. If he stays for his junior year he could be a top 5 pick next year.

Now onto the meat.

Kennedy and Brandon are good at Saftey, and Lynch just being here has helped a lot. Brandon should be a suitable replacement for Lynch, but if I guy like Shazor or Pool drops to the mid-late second, they should go for him unless there's a sleeper DT on the board.

The Broncos really need a TE. The TEs this year have really hurt the passing game and were a big, if not the biggest reason for the Chargers loss. We need another Shannon, and even though I love the DJ pick, Ben Troupe would not have been bad if we resigned Ian Gold. However, I don't think a top flight TE will drop to the Broncos 1st pick, so looking at the Free Agents may be a better idea there.

I'm not too familiar on the defensive lineman in the draft, so I'll get back to you guys on that. However, a DT is one of the biggest needs for the defense right now. Also, I really like Reuben, but I don't see him as a career back. Trading up for a back may not be a bad idea. Call me crazy, but I think if Denver has a shot at one of the Auburn guys, trading up again like they did last year, that would be huge for the offense and would put it back to where it was before this year. Droughns is just too inconsistent to give him a TD or Portis load for the whole year.

As for Chris talking about Kennedy, I agree that he's the most important Free Agent for Denver to resign. He's a big smash mouth guy who terrifies guys coming across the middle. He may not be perfect in coverage, but he's a top 5 zone saftey and probably the best hitter outside of John Lynch at saftey in the whole league.
blunoranj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we try free agent TEs last off-season? Is this year's crop of FA TEs going to be any better than O. J. Santiago, Byron Chamberlain, and Jed Weaver? b/c those guys got cut. What FA TEs are going to be out there next year?
YOUNGtoOWENS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddie Jones, Bubba Franks, Itula Mili, and Ken Dilger are all UFAs. Mili is the most likely shot (he's not great, but he's better than anyone we have right now) because Stevens is stepping up in Seattle. Dilger also probably won't be resigned by Tampa. As for Freddie or Bubba, they're obviously better and would cost more. I think Freddie Jones in Denver would be huge for the offense.

And Hape, Leach, and Putzier are all UFAs too, so either way Denver will have to work a contract with some TEs, whether they be already on the team or not.
blunoranj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of those names leaps out at me as "Man, we gotta get this guy!" You're high on Freddie Jones of the Cardinals, but I'm curious as to his #s compared to Putzier's. Is he THAT MUCH better?

I know Leach, Hape, and Putzier are UFAs. We'll definitely keep Leach (long snapper) and Putzier (let him develop. no appreciable upgrade in FA market). Hape might be the only casualty, but Denver loves his versatility. Besides, I think they're all fairly inexpensive, but I could be wrong....
YOUNGtoOWENS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that any of the guys I listed are going to be in the hall of fame, but Putzier has dropped some important balls (some lead to INTs), and Jones doesn't drop passes often. Stats are pretty similar. They've used Jones a lot less since getting Boldin and Fitzgerald.

Comp Yards Avg Lg Avg TD 20+ 40+
Putzier
33 505 33.7 39 15.3 2 7 0
Jones
43 408 27.2 40 9.5 2 4 1

I also didn't mention Jermaine Wiggins, who is also a UFA. And his stats:
64 647 49.8 39 10.1 4 9 0

Overall, you're probably right on keeping Putzier. However, I don't think he's the big fix at TE. Getting another guy wouldn't hurt, but long term the solution probably won't be around for a few years unless Putzier improves a lot in the coming years, which wouldn't surprise me.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Hopefully we trade Droughns, Anderson or Griffin, I'm sure we could get a decent pick out of one of the three.

IMO, Griffin wouldn't interest many teams. His yards per carry average stands at only 3.7 and that's in an offense which can turn anybody into a premier running back. Coupled with the fact that he's only 5'7" tall, I doubt any team would give up more than a 4th rounder for him (if even that high).

I like Mike Anderson a lot. However he is now over 30 and hasn't put up big numbers since 2000. I don't expect a team to make a move for him in the off-season. If they do, it'll be for a 4th rounder or later.

Reuben Droughns is an intriguing prospect though. He's a good runner and a solid receiver out of the backfield. Starting next season, he'll be only 27 years old. He figures to have about 5 years ahead of him. I think that a team may give up a late 1st round pick for him. Indianapolis might be a possible trade opportunity because if they lose Edgerrin James, Droughns would be a good cheaper alternative.

Out of the 3 RBs you mentioned I think that Droughns is the most likely to be traded and the Broncos won't miss him because Tatum Bell will step up next year and run for 1500yds.

What do you think the Broncos could get for one of them?
SuppaMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droughns would not command a 1st round pick, hell I don't think he could command a 2nd round pick.

I don't like the Broncos, but I think if they could find a good coach to bring in, they should fire Shanahan after there season ends. Sharpe was right about Plummer and what Mike is trying to do. Not only that but you guys picked up a 6+ million dollar option on Plummer next year because of Shanahan. Like I said I don't like the broncos but they're underacheiving and likely will be underachieving even more next year after another draft fills there few needs, other than QB.

Here's an interesting stat for you guys, Plummer leads the league in passes with no intended receiver.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuppaMan wrote:
Droughns would not command a 1st round pick, hell I don't think he could command a 2nd round pick.

I don't like the Broncos, but I think if they could find a good coach to bring in, they should fire Shanahan after there season ends. Sharpe was right about Plummer and what Mike is trying to do. Not only that but you guys picked up a 6+ million dollar option on Plummer next year because of Shanahan. Like I said I don't like the broncos but they're underacheiving and likely will be underachieving even more next year after another draft fills there few needs, other than QB.

Here's an interesting stat for you guys, Plummer leads the league in passes with no intended receiver.

If you don't like them, don't post in the Broncos forum; it's the least you can do.

Yeah, awesome cool! Denver Broncos rock the world!
ChiefSurgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see us pick up...

Round 1 Shaun Cody
Round 2 Jason Campbell - perfect back-up for Plummer
ElwaysDaGreatest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broncos need a defensive lineman more than any other position by far. I think it'd be nice to add Vincent Jackson, hes a 6' 6 receiver up here at UNCO, and he's entering the NFL draft as a tight end. He is a beast I' ve watched him play, and he's pretty fast. He's gonna be the 4th University of NOrthern Colorado player in the NFL.
Pandaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree about Vincent Jackson. After the Combine I think he is not much of a secret and will likely be a second round pick. Other Day 1 possibilities for a new Denver TE would be Heath Miller, Alex Smith, Matt Jones, Kevin Everett and Joel Dressen.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would take matt jones as a WR. if a team has about 2 years to teach him how to run routes and other WR stuff like that, they're gonna get a really good receiver. he's 6'6", 239 lbs, and he runs a 4.39 40 on a slow surface. that is god-given speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: