Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Uno's Lil Spielman Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Uno's Lil Spielman Mock Reply with quote

I've been reading up and studying Spielman/Zimmer and how they like to develop a roster. Came up with a few guidelines based on patterns I've found and tried to create a mock following said parameters. Those include:

* Vikings have picked from their actual first round spot once over the last 3 years. (Sharrif Floyd)
* The Vikings have selected an offensive player within the first two rounds of each draft since 09, haven't been afraid to get them.
* Spielman hasn't picked a non-combine participant in three years.
* Day 3 low risk/high reward player each of the last three years. (Childs, Mauti, Exum)
* Haven't had a Second Round Pick in 3 years.
* Vikings have taken 4 DBs in the Top 100 picks the last 5 years.
* Spielman hasn't taken an offensive skill player beyond Round 4 since he took over.
* Vikings haven't taken an interior offensive lineman before round 5 since Spielman has been in Minnesota.
* Spielman's taken a Round 7 LB each of the last 3 years
* 10/14 picks after round 4 have been defensive players over the last three years.
* Vikings have had at least 9 picks each draft since 2012.
* Spielman has replaced a former first round pick with another one in the last two drafts.

There are more positional traits that presented themselves that'll I'll address later.

TRADES:
MIN trades Adrian Peterson, #110 to DAL for #27, #91, Morris Claiborne -
Jerry Jones can't help himself thinking about Dez and Adrian on the same team. He caves and parts with the one. In order to relieve some cap room, Cowboys offer to swap 4th round picks for Morris Claiborne (2.6M).

MIN trades #11 to SF for #15, #79 - SF jumps ahead of Tennessee, New Orleans, and Miami who are all looking for corner help.

ROUND 1:

1. Tampa Bay - Jameis Winston//QB//Florida State
2. Cleveland - Marcus Mariota//QB//Oregon (Via TEN)
3. Jacksonville - Leonard Williams//DE//USC
4. Oakland - Kevin White//WR//Weset Virginia
5. Washington - Vic Beasley//LB//Clemson
6. New York Jets - Dante Fowler//LB//Florida
7. Chicago - Amari Cooper//WR//Alabama
8. Atlanta - La'el Collins//OL//LSU
9. New York Giants - Bud Dupree//DE//Kentucky
10. St. Louis - Brandon Scherff//OL//Iowa
11. San Francisco - Trae Waynes//CB//Michigan State (Via MIN)
12. Tennessee - Danny Shelton//DT//Washington (Via CLE)
13. New Orleans - Shane Ray//DE//Mizzou
14. Miami - DeVante Parker//WR//Louisville
15. Minnesota - Todd Gurley//HB//Georgia (Via SF)
16. Houston - Randy Gregory//DE//Nebraska
17. San Diego - Melvin Gordon//HB//Wisconsin
18. Kansas City - Ereck Flowers//OT//Miami
19. Tennessee - Landon Collins//S//Alabama (Via CLE/F BUF)
20. Philadelphia - Arik Armstead//DE//Oregon
21. Cincinnati - D.J. Humphries//OT//Florida
22. Pittsburgh - Malcom Brown//DT//Texas
23. Detroit- Andrus Peat//OT//Stanford
24. Arizona - Marcus Peters//CB//Washington
25. Carolina - T.J. Clemmings//OT//Pittsburgh
26. Baltimore - Jaelen Strong//WR//Arizona State
27. Minnesota - Byron Jones//CB//UConn (Via DAL)

DRAFT PICKS:

SYNOPSIS:

Todd Gurley: Some will hate the Gurley pick but he's a real possibility. Todd Gurley is a Top 3 prospect in this class if he doesn't tear his ACL and Spielman loves to add star power. In 2013 the Vikings took Patterson after sending potential star Percy Harvin to the Seahawks. In 2014 we took Bridgewater to replace a terrible first round selection. This year we take Gurley to replace Adrian. Have to take into account the 5th round option on a potential star HB. If for some reason Gurley hasn't earned a second contract by his 5th year, the option for a HB taken 11-32 will be minuscule compared to a corner or receiver. His skills don't need commenting. He's a do it all back lacking an elite second gear that would make him a generational talent.

Byron Jones: There is a chance he could go higher than this but I think this is the sweet spot for him after his offseason. Zimmer doesn't care about size at the corner spot, but Jones enough to spare. The Vikings have added just one corner via free agency or the draft that ran over a 4.46 forty time. That was Josh Cooper and he didn't stick long on the roster. Jones is a press man corner with worldly athleticism that Zimmer will have fun molding. He's an aggressive corner at the LOS whether redirecting receivers or playing run support. He can also move inside and cover a quicker receiver if needed, which would come in handy if Minnesota could get anything out of Claiborne on the outside. Should pair nicely with Xavier Rhodes.

Stephone Anthony: Zimmer is on record saying he likes big players and that he was looking for a 3 down LB. Anthony fits both criteria easily. Not as instinctive as I'd like but he has the athleticism we haven't had in the middle in some time. The Vikings have added 9 LBs since Zimmer has come on and 7 of them recorded verticals higher than the league average of 33.4 . Anthony's 37 inch vert puts him firmly on the Vikings radar. He has the range and tenacity to fill his gap in a hurry and can shoot the gap without a blitzing assignment. Zimmer's run scheme is designed to funnel the ball carrier to the gap plugging Linebackers and Anthony is capable of handling that responsibility. Anthony's also good, not great in coverage and that will be a welcomed change to the MIKE that will allow him to stay on the field in passing situations.

Trey Flowers: The Vikings added 3 #MathRushers last year, but Flowers is too good a player to pass up despite the lack of desired measurables. Flowers is a well versed run defender who does an outstanding job of using his hands as a college prospect. He could be our strongest edge setter from day 1. Because he is not a #MathRusher many have discounted his pass rushing ability. According to PFF, Flowers was the most productive pass rusher at the FBS level last year, recording a whopping 61 pressures and 46 hurry ups. This doesn't necessarily mean anything going forward, but when you watch Flowers he's always in the backfield and a hair short of getting to the QB. I believe in a scheme like ours where it's more about gap integrity and rushing lanes, Flowers could be a Charles Johnson-esque player who also wasn't a #MathRusher coming out.

Donovan Smith: Spielman hasn't selected an interior lineman before Rd 5 ever, so I'm bending the rule here. Many have regulated Smith to guard because of his size but I believe he has a shot to stick outside as a poor man's Cordy Glenn. The Vikings have added 6 tackles not including Mountain. All of them had better or even broad jumps to he league average, suggesting they are looking for explosion more than anything. Smith fits the mold as his jump numbers were very impressive for an O-lineman, let alone one his size. His overall testing numbers were better or similar to Cordy Glenn. Could stick at LT on a power run team, but a fallback to Guard is more likely.

Stefon Diggs: This is the last chance to add a offensive skill player if recent history is any indication. It also satisfies Spielman low risk/high reward injured player criteria. I think Diggs is going to regulated to the slot in the NFL, albeit a strong one IMO. I believe he could be used the same way as Victor Cruz and have similar success. Diggs was a highly touted recruit coming out of High School and surprised many by staying in his homestate to play. He's a special player with the ball in his hands but is lacking the production and gamebreaking measurables we thought he owned. That said, most of Diggs big vertical and YAC plays when he was working out of the slot. He has a good feel for the vacated zones in the defense, he's going to make his living at the sticks. Unlike smaller slot guys, he can split out and be the occasional vertical option, an area he is fairly polished in. I'm not sold on Wright as a full-time slot guy and Diggs could provide a higher ceiling in the same role.

Lynden Trail: Questionable fit for Zimmer but the Vikings are doing their due diligence with Trail. There's no doubt that between Margus Hunt, Carlos Dunlap, and Michael Johnson, loves his long ends. I believe it's in part due to their ability to naturally cover 2 gaps with their size. Trail was another highly touted HS kid who had his choice of college despite a 6'6 200 pound frame. His play shows that he was a scrawny underdeveloped recruit a just a short few years ago. He's added 70 pounds since entering college, but is still lacking the functional strength to come off the board earlier. What he does show is potential as a pass rusher. He bends the corner pretty well for his size and has intriguing pursuit when the QB is in sight. With coaching and time I think there is a good chance he can contribute at the next level.

Craig Mager: Mager is one of my favorite prospects in this class. Again, Vikings have targeted DBs with sub 4.46 forties. Zimmer also shows importance into jumping numbers with his DBs. Of the nine cornerbacks the Vikings have brought in the last year, six have jumped over the average of 157.5 combined inches for cornerbacks. Mager's 168 is well above that average, putting him on the Vikings radar. Mager has some off man ability but I haven't seen enough to judge his press skills. He's an aggressive player at the LOS who does well in run support. A move to Safety isn't out of the question with an impressive 3 cone time. He's the exact same size, build, and shares similar traits to Chris Crocker who Zimmer thought highly enough to bring him with from Cincinnati. Strong leader, physical demeanor, and impressive measurables are solid for a 7th round pick.

Damien Wilson: Williams is a favorite of my hometown team and he has shot to stick in the NFL. Damien was a fine player at MIKE, not instinctive but a magnet around the LOS. He has long arms that help him disengage blockers, but sometimes get washed out after taking false steps. He wasn't ever asked to play man but he is a pretty good zone defender. Wilson was actually more effective when Minnesota lined him over the end and asked him defend the edge or blitz, racking up 4 sacks in the process. For that reason, I think he has some upside as a "WILL" in our scheme. A surprisingly explosive workout could see Wilson come off the board somewhere late in the draft.

DEPTH CHART:

QB: Teddy Bridgewater//Shaun Hill
HB: Todd Gurley//Jerrick McKinnon//Matt Asiata
FB: Zach Line//Rhett Ellison
WR: Charles Johnson//Cordarrelle Patterson
WR: Mike Wallace//Free Agent
SL: Jarius Wright//Stefon Diggs
TE: Kyle Rudolph//Chase Ford
LT: Matt Kalil//Donovan Smith
LG: David Yankey//Joe Berger
C: John Sullivan
RG: Brandon Fusco
RT: Phil Loadholt//Mike Harris

LE: Brian Robinson//Trey Flowers//Scott Crichton
UT: Sharrif Floyd//Tom Johnson
NT: Linval Joseph//Shamar Stephen
RE: Everson Griffen//Lynden Trail
WB: Chad Greenway//Gerald Hodges//Damien Wilson
IB: Stephone Anthony//Mike Mauti
SB: Anthony Barr//Audie Cole
CB: Xavier Rhodes//Morris Claiborne//Jabari Price
NB: Captain Munnerlyn//Marcus Sherels
FS: Harrison Smith//Antone Exum//Craig Mager
SS: Robert Blanton//Andrew Sendejo
CB: Byron Jones//Josh Robinson

Rip Away!

Last edited by Lil Uno on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very happy if the draft turned out this way. 3 freaky athletes at the top. I'm a big fan of Donnovan Smith as well.

I guess the presentation is decent too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to hate your draft because of the Gurley pick..... but I love all of your other picks. I never thought i would approve of a draft that involved picking a RB first. Bravo
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your presentation is unmatched Uno, and you're draft knowledge ain't bad either.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy Touchdown wrote:
I really want to hate your draft because of the Gurley pick..... but I love all of your other picks. I never thought i would approve of a draft that involved picking a RB first. Bravo

Appreciate it. Gurley wouldn't be my first choice but the point of the mock was to emulate Spielman and I think there is a good chance he's targeting him. Obviously, that provided we move Peterson for decent value.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurley fits the offensive skill position in the first (Patterson and Bridgewater) as well as filling the medical flyer (Childs, Mauti, and Exum)
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Gurley fits the offensive skill position in the first (Patterson and Bridgewater) as well as filling the medical flyer (Childs, Mauti, and Exum)

I forgot to take that into account. Diggs was that player in this mock but you make a good point.

rpmwr19 wrote:
Your presentation is unmatched Uno, and you're draft knowledge ain't bad either.

Means a lot. Wish I had more time to talk draft with you guys here, the entire Viking forum is pretty knowledgeable with the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be quite happy is that is how our draft turned out. Not a huge fan of Gurley, but it makes sense with the AD trade.

Others have saidit too, but I look forward to the "Uno" mocks each year because of the presentation.
98TillInfinity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georiga fan and Gurley fan so I apporve. Smile

I do disagree about the second gear though. He was a track star as well and I've never seen someone catch him on the football field once he breaks away. Todd is the closest thing to AP since AP.
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Uno!!! I would absolutely LOVE it if our draft went like this!

I would love getting Gurley to help open things up for the passing game and to try and fill the enormous shoes of Adrian Peterson. With AD we have had the luxury of being the team with the best RB in the division, and that would continue if we had Gurley.

The rest of the players you chose were very solid picks too. I also chose Stephone Anthony in my GM Mock Draft. He would be a nice fit.

Thx 2 gopherwrestler for the sig ^ ^ ^

Pack4life7 wrote:
They [the Vikings] have no chance [to win the division in the next 5 years] unless Rodgers goes down. None.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
jam8891

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the draft overall. Only thing I'd really disagree with and change is the Byron Jones pick.

As I only believe there is 1 corner in this entire draft worth a 1st rd selection. That is Marcus Peters. If we don't land Peters in the first round, I would prefer to go either WR or O Line (Scherff)
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam8891 wrote:
Really like the draft overall. Only thing I'd really disagree with and change is the Byron Jones pick.

As I only believe there is 1 corner in this entire draft worth a 1st rd selection. That is Marcus Peters. If we don't land Peters in the first round, I would prefer to go either WR or O Line (Scherff)

That's an okay spot for Jones, who is now probably expected to go somewhere around the top of the 2nd, late 1st. I'd actually consider him before Peters because as I've stated several times, his clear lack of respect for authority doesn't make him worth the risk.

I think this is one of the better jobs done in a mock that I've seen for the Vikings here. Well done, sir!

Thx to Lil Uno!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback. Glad you all like the graphics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like getting Claiborne from Dallas that makes a lot of sense to me. After bringing in Claiborne and Newman I don't think that CB is an early round need so I don't like the Byron Jones pick. I'm not a huge fan of Jones anyways. It just seems like combine hype, but incredibly raw. I think Zimmer will be able to get Claiborne back on track.

I don't know if the Dolphins will take a WR in the first. Their current top two receivers are so young and I think that they want to add a veteran to that group like Crabtree or Jennings. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dolphins take Gurley since Knowson Moreno didn't pan out in Miami.

I would prefer the Vikings to take Devante Parker with that first pick and then hopefully one of the HB's drop or we could land Tevin Coleman in the 2nd. I really like Coleman and think he could be a stud.

This was a really well done mock!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the misconception about Jones. People see how athletic he is and assume that he's raw. He's not. He's got a lot of technical refinement for a guy who only played corner for two years. He does still need work.

If he played at LSU, Michigan, USC, or some other big school with a higher level of competition, a higher level of exposure, and wasn't coming off of a shoulder injury he would easily be in the first round conversation, IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: