Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2015 Sign, Draft, or Promote - Committee RB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How will the Vikings address the need for a complementary back to McKinnon?
Draft the RB
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]
Sign a free agent
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
What's a matta with Asiata? He's not a persona non grata!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: 2015 Sign, Draft, or Promote - Committee RB Reply with quote

Disclaimer: If Adrian stays, this will certainly no longer be a position that needs to be filled. Therefore, please address this scenario with a departed Adrian in mind.

Without Adrian Peterson, the RB position will certainly need to be addressed. As was shown this past season, it's a clearly different offense without him. While McKinnon appears to be a nice addition to the team, he can not go it alone, as he is not an every-down back. Therefore, he would need a complementary back. While Asiata seems to be a hard worker and does his best, I think it's clear that his best is not good enough. Therefore, how will the Vikings address that need for a complementary back to McKinnon?

Potential FAs include: Mark Ingram (NO), Shane Vereen (NE), Jonathan Dwyer (AZ), DeMarco Murray (Dal), Roy Helu (Wash), Bilal Powell (Jets)

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Robbroy45

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take one Mark Ingram, please

Heimdallr wrote:
Watching the game with two pcers fans.

Beer s good
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Peterson goes, I think Ingram would be the best fit to replace him in terms of talent at asset usage.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Roy Helu if we went FA route.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One potential problem. Free agency starts about a month before Peterson's can even be reinstated. So if you sign someone like Ingram, you kill any trade value that Peterson could have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Peterson doesn't return, go with the draft.

Asiata and McKinnon aren't terrible, and who knows what McKinnon will do next year. Adding a young running back to that mix, like Tevin Coleman, David Cobb, T.J. Yeldon, David Johnson, or my sleeper John Crockett, would make for a good group to rotate through.
BWG VIKE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Petey then ill take a committee of McKinnon, McFadden (on a 1 year) and Tevin Coleman (if available in the 3rd).

If McFadden can stay healthy I see him exceling in Turners system and being a weapon in the passing game, maybe even flirting with his 2010 numbers.
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft a RB. McKinnon is just a 3rd down change of pace back that is coming off of back surgery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Keep Peterson
2. Mark Ingram
3. Draft. Gordan/Gurley second round, Cobb/Johnson in the other rounds where available.
4. Sign Me

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Draft a RB. McKinnon is just a 3rd down change of pace back that is coming off of back surgery.

He showed he can be much more than a change of pace back in his year transitioning from a lower level of college football and changing positions.
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Freakout wrote:

He showed he can be much more than a change of pace back in his year transitioning from a lower level of college football and changing positions.

best thing for him could be sitting behind peterson for a while.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope McKinnon doesn't suffer any further injury with his back(from what I read, he seems fine right now). I think he can be a very good role player for this team.

Without Peterson, I'd be okay with drafting a RB higher. Its a pretty decent class this year, and having a better RB helps out the QB tremendously.

Like I said in the draft thread, Gurley/Gordon in the late 1st, or Coleman in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Freakout wrote:

I disagree. I saw a running back that struggled running off tackle. I saw a running back that rarely had a run longer than 10 yards. There was nothing explosive about him. His game resembles Chester Taylor and sure Childress ran him into the ground and got a 1200 yard season out of him one season but Chester was not a feature back.

The crazy thing about McKinnon is his Combine numbers makes people believe he is going to be a freak on the field but it doesn't translate. He is at his best running north and south, weaving his way through traffic, exploiting his lack of height and staying low. That is the complete opposite of what you expect out of a raw running back. You expect them to look to always bounce everything outside but that goes back to my main point - he struggled running outside.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:

You expect them to look to always bounce everything outside but that goes back to my main point - he struggled running outside.

i disagree with this in a way. he struggled running outside, yes.
he didn't bounce outside behind the tackles much, yes.
but when he got into the second tier group (lb's) he was best when he did bounce it outside there where he could use his speed and get around them. he's not a powerback, he isn't going to run over lb's.

he's raw, he wants to run thru the designed holes, just like he did in college. i think that's something you learn more. he was in a very designed driven offense in college. Playing QB in his offense was a lot more of just hitting your whole, and pick up your yards. That's why I believe playing behind a player like Peterson would be great for him. Sit behind someone that does bounce it out, learn a little bit from him. Asiata isn't going to teach him much.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt change a thing to the current group of RBs.

Adrian Peterson - starter
Jerick McKinnon - change of pace, potential return man
Matt Asiata - third down, some short yardage and special teams

Without Adrian Peterson, I'd look to sign a veteran like Ryan Mathews. Usually veteran RBs are cheap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: