Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SPs Pre-30 April Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: SPs Pre-30 April Mock Reply with quote

Quote:
It's so hard to do mock drafts. Every year I've done one and looking back I've done a terrible job. So hopefully this year I'm closer than I have been in regards to past mock drafts.

1. Marcus Peters - CB
2. Markus Golden - OLB
3. Ben Koyack - TE
4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB
5. David Cobb - RB
6. Tyler Hunter - Safety
7. Tyler Moore - OG/T

Last edited by SteelProven on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
It's so hard to do mock drafts. Every year I've done one and looking back I've done a terrible job. So hopefully this year I'm closer than I have been in regards to past mock drafts.

1. Marcus Peters - CB - - Can play, but off the field issues a concern?
2. Markus Golden - OLB - - Athletic and has LaMarr Woodley type size.
3. Ben Koyack - TE - - I am curious about his speed. Poor man's Heath?
4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB - - Could be a steal here. Lot's of upside.
5. David Cobb - RB - - I would prefer a veteran RB through F/A, but not a bad player by any means.
6. Tyler Hunter - Safety - - Got some wiggle and may be a decent FS.
7. Tyler Moore - OG/T - -meh We need a LT prospect

Overall a well done mock, in my humble opinion, in terms of addressing the needs of the team. I would like to see us sign a veteran RB, LT and possibly WR(depending on L. Moore situation).

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the TE with a DE or NT and I would be thrilled with this draft.
TEs on roster now:
Heath Miller
Michael Egnew
Rob Blachflower
Will Johnson
Matt Spaeth-FA
Michael Palmer-FA?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Replace the TE with a DE or NT and I would be thrilled with this draft.
TEs on roster now:
Heath Miller
Michael Egnew
Rob Blachflower
Will Johnson
Matt Spaeth-FA
Michael Palmer-FA?

After Miller none of those TEs are worth much more than camp fodder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

5. David Cobb - RB - - I would prefer a veteran RB through F/A, but not a bad player by any means.

Overall a well done mock, in my humble opinion, in terms of addressing the needs of the team. I would like to see us sign a veteran RB, LT and possibly WR(depending on L. Moore situation).

Marcus Peters keeps getting mentioned with off the field issues and he's not been in any trouble off the field. Peters issues were with the coaching staff and he wasn't the only player who had problems but just the only player removed.

As far as RB I'd rather have a groomed younger back then a veteran. A rookie RB would be more cost effective and possible give the Steelers the same results as a veteran. Not many RBs are taking any snaps from Le'Veon next year barring injury.

I don't know why fans are quick to get rid of Beachum when he's improved every start. While Beachum isn't going to be a premier LT he's more than capable. Getting a quality LT is like getting a quality CB they are had to draft and in short supply.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some strange things going on there in Washington. The WR Kasen Williams went like 6 games without a pass thrown to him up until the Arizona game. That was a very strange deal, as he was their top receiver coming into 2014 and someone to be considered very highly in draft circles.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

1. Marcus Peters - CB
2. Markus Golden - OLB
3. Ben Koyack - TE
4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB
5. David Cobb - RB
6. Tyler Hunter - Safety
7. Tyler Moore - OG/T

Peters issues with the coaching staff IMO will prevent us from drafting him IMO unless he interviews well. This entire process will be very important for Peters draft stock, just to see what type of head he has on his shoulders.

Golden is vastly overrated. Dude looks like another Jarvis Jones.

Koyack isnt bad. Not alot of upside though, IMO.

Olomu wont fall that far.

Cobb...meh.

Dont know Hunter.

Moore is a nice depth guy.

Solid, realistic draft. Nothing special, but very possible.

pnies20 wrote:
I know I'm one of the biggest trolls on here, but dont call me on it. I can dish it but cant take it.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
There were some strange things going on there in Washington. The WR Kasen Williams went like 6 games without a pass thrown to him up until the Arizona game. That was a very strange deal, as he was their top receiver coming into 2014 and someone to be considered very highly in draft circles.

It is weird what's going on, which is the reason I believe Peters won't be vilified.

Kasen Williams is going to make some team very happy. Kid has some real skills at WR and if not for leg injuries in 2013 he would be talked about more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

1. Marcus Peters - CB
2. Markus Golden - OLB
3. Ben Koyack - TE
4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB
5. David Cobb - RB
6. Tyler Hunter - Safety
7. Tyler Moore - OG/T

Peters issues with the coaching staff IMO will prevent us from drafting him IMO unless he interviews well. This entire process will be very important for Peters draft stock, just to see what type of head he has on his shoulders.

Golden is vastly overrated. Dude looks like another Jarvis Jones.

Koyack isnt bad. Not alot of upside though, IMO.

Olomu wont fall that far.

Cobb...meh.

Dont know Hunter.

Moore is a nice depth guy.

Solid, realistic draft. Nothing special, but very possible.

It's tough doing mock drafts, so it's a shot in the dark when making selection.

As far as some of you concerns they are valid and believe me it took me about 2 wks to feel comfortable with all these picks.

Peters - His situation is similar to Jimmy Smith's when he was taken in a similar spot by the Ravens

Golden - Is the exact opposite of JJ with one major difference and that's pure power/strength. Something everybody in the sports world references when discussing JJ. Golden I look at as a Lamarr Woodley type of OLB.

Koyack - He was buried behind Eifert and Niklas, but didn't shine because of spotty QB play at ND. He's a good blocker and a viable #2 walking into camp.

Ifo - Great player, but his injury will scare teams away. Aaron Colvin was going through the same thing last year when he got injured in the Senior Bowl. I just don't think a team can risk a 3rd round pick on Ifo because he'll start off on the pup list.

David Cobb - Reminds me of Le'Veon Bell when I started looking at Maxx Williams. Similar running style

Tyler Hunter

Tyler Moore - just another position flexible OL the Steelers like. The past few years they've had some potentials there, but they haven't panned out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:

1. Marcus Peters - CB
2. Markus Golden - OLB
3. Ben Koyack - TE
4. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - CB
5. David Cobb - RB
6. Tyler Hunter - Safety
7. Tyler Moore - OG/T

most here would be thrilled if 1 and 4 actually happens. Lets hope Shocked
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Golden - Is the exact opposite of JJ with one major difference and that's pure power/strength. Something everybody in the sports world references when discussing JJ. Golden I look at as a Lamarr Woodley type of OLB.

Shouldve elaborated more on this.

Im not saying their skillsets are exactly the same....but ALOT of Golden's production has been very cheap. As in...he hasnt had to work for it because he goes unblocked alot. And when he is blocked, he is usually handled fairly easily.

That being said, his physical tools are nothing special either. Below average first step. Average technique and hand usage. Decent power but nothing special....honestly, sayings its better than JJ's isnt saying much since JJ may be the weakest front 7 player in the entire league....not even joking.

I loved Woodley coming out. There may be similarities but I dont think they compare well in terms of their overall game.

Quote:
Koyack - He was buried behind Eifert and Niklas, but didn't shine because of spotty QB play at ND. He's a good blocker and a viable #2 walking into camp.

No issue with him. Just dont think he has alot of potential to be more than what he is.

Quote:
Ifo - Great player, but his injury will scare teams away. Aaron Colvin was going through the same thing last year when he got injured in the Senior Bowl. I just don't think a team can risk a 3rd round pick on Ifo because he'll start off on the pup list.

Fair enough....but Colvin looked very good in Jax despite falling. Also, Ifo IMO is more highly touted and I think some team will take him in the late 2nd or late 3rd regardless of the injury.

pnies20 wrote:
I know I'm one of the biggest trolls on here, but dont call me on it. I can dish it but cant take it.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: SPs Pre-Combine Mock Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Marcus Peters keeps getting mentioned with off the field issues and he's not been in any trouble off the field. Peters issues were with the coaching staff and he wasn't the only player who had problems but just the only player removed.

I haven't researched it, but thanks for the info. That said, it will be a concern because of the perception. We need a quality cb, but don't need anymore discipline issues or off the field drama. That was my only concern.

As far as RB I'd rather have a groomed younger back then a veteran. A rookie RB would be more cost effective and possible give the Steelers the same results as a veteran. Not many RBs are taking any snaps from Le'Veon next year barring injury.

I think Josh Harris could be that young player for us. I'd rather have an established veteran as an insurance policy as well. You don't need a big $$$ vet, but someone with experience who can spell Bell and heaven forbid, not change the offense should Bell get hurt a la the Raven play-off game.

I don't know why fans are quick to get rid of Beachum when he's improved every start. While Beachum isn't going to be a premier LT he's more than capable. Getting a quality LT is like getting a quality CB they are had to draft and in short supply.

The last statement isn't about so much replacing Beachum as having him in his best role. He has overachieved at LT and can be effective there. However, there is NO ONE behind him should he get hurt. Beachum is not best suited to play LT against the better pass rushers. He does a good job out of default (no one else can), but that's not what he's best at. He would actually be better as a swing man on our OL. I think you try to get better whenever you can. Chance favors the prepared. If he went down our OL is n trouble at LT. Adams and Gilbert have not shown they can do it at LT. You are correct, you usually do not draft elite LT's outside of the top 10 of the first round of the draft, but my hope is they may be able to sign a lower tier veteran to provide some depth.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to "get rid" of Beachum, but I have 0 faith in Marcus Gilbert or Mike Adams in a long-term sense and I feel like we need another high end OT. Now, I think it might do the Oline more justice to upgrade even over Beachum at LT and let Beachum play RT, but I also have no problem with simply upgrading the RT position.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I don't want to "get rid" of Beachum, but I have 0 faith in Marcus Gilbert or Mike Adams in a long-term sense and I feel like we need another high end OT. Now, I think it might do the Oline more justice to upgrade even over Beachum at LT and let Beachum play RT, but I also have no problem with simply upgrading the RT position.

Like it or not...Gilbert is here for the next few years unless he becomes Jonathan Scott bad.

Beachum IMO is a glorified backup, but would be an amazing backup. IMO, he really shouldnt be starting, although sadly, he likely has been our best and most consistent LT since Marvel Smith (Max Starks was solid when he wasnt raiding the buffet lines)

Bottom line....while our OLine could obviously still use major improvements, I doubt they focus on improving it much this offseason. Too many other needs on defense and they have ignored OLine when it was much MUCH MUUUUUCH worse than what it currently is.

pnies20 wrote:
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Like it or not...Gilbert is here for the next few years unless he becomes Jonathan Scott bad.

Agreed! Money paid to him and he has been decent at times, but his errors have looked very bad, He gets absolutely abused by Dummerville! He is never going to be a top five OT, but he can be decent. He still needs to get a little stronger and improve his pass blocking.

Beachum IMO is a glorified backup, but would be an amazing backup.

That is my point. I agree 100%. The OL actually did a few good things when he was that 6th man a few years ago before being forced to start. He is amazing in that role and using him as an extra blocker in the running game

IMO, he really shouldn't be starting, although sadly, he likely has been our best and most consistent LT since Marvel Smith (Max Starks was solid when he wasn't raiding the buffet lines).

And the church said....Amen! Would love to get a decent free agent veteran to compete for starter or as a back-up. Sadly, if Beachum goes down, there is no one who can remotely be consistent at LT. That is the one glaring hole on the OL.

Bottom line....while our OLine could obviously still use major improvements, I doubt they focus on improving it much this offseason.

True. My hope is that they at least look at the free agents. I will do the same myself to see if there are any potential guys available who could be reasonably and realistically looked at to sign and improve the position.

Too many other needs on defense and they have ignored OLine when it was much MUCH MUUUUUCH worse than what it currently is.

Yep that is true. I have not given up on Mike Adams yet. He has really hurt himself and the team with his slow development. I still think he could develop into a top five RT, but with Gilbert and his inability to be even a decent option at LT, he may not fit in. He is strong at the pint of attack and a nasty mauling type in the run game, but his feet and quickness are awful in pass protection on either side. Can Coach Munchak revive the ghost of Max Starks in Adams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: