You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Up and 5 Down for the 2016 season.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: 5 Up and 5 Down for the 2016 season. Reply with quote

What were your five ups and five downs for the Steeler season?

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP

1.RB's Bell , he is quite a player and DWill is a great reserve
2. OL - we finally have a solid OL. While this finally happened, there are other concerns elsewhere Embarassed
3. 2016 draft - that was more like a draft wasn't it
4. playing draft picks, they produced and played at a good level.
5. how the team rallied after the losing streak. Showed some guts

HM
1. keeping Dupree on the return list, this was a good move by the FO/coaches
2. Letting Harrison rest most of the season _ doubt we make the title game if Harrison was full time all year.
3. letting the rookies start, artie and davis were good starters, bright future. james is OUR new TE for the future.

Down.

1. The coaches D-plan vs the pats ws the absolute worst possible IMO. That is easily the top down , unanimous.
2. jarvis, but that was expected
3. injuries early on as well as suspensions but many teams deal with that - part of the game.
4. CB's are in need of retooling. Cockrell doesn't want to hit or tackle, Gilbert is on the sidelines, Golson was hurt. Artie is good but Willie is slowing down which I never thought would ever happen. Time to fix this and start playing press man to man coverage.
5. that nickel butler had most of the time - get rid of it. Or if you want 4 on the line, make sure they can set the edge vs the run to maintain gap control.

HM
my anger after and during the afccg due to the D gameplan and then the refs were minor as were dropped passes. The zone D vs brady is throwing in the towel.
KofQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up

Bell - Obviously cemented himself as the top back in the Leauge.
Oline - The first season in a long time where health was good and the group played like a top 5 unit.
Young Defense - The future is bright on this side of the ball. Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Shazier, Dupree, Burns, and Davis are a great core to move on with.
Rogers - Nice bright spot in the offense. Effective slot reciever with room to grow.
Making it to the AFC championship game - I'll take that for this year but next year should be Super Bowl or bust.

Down

Brown - Don't get me wrong he had a nice season, but this is more for celebrating when he knows it costs the team, the video was disrespectful, and he was a no show this past game.

Coaches - I feel like this group was so outmatched at times this year. The inability to adjust to anything is alarming.

Bryant - The guy needs to get his crap together. He cost the team and i only hope he is truly sorry because we're a different team when he is out there.

Green - Very dissapointing season. Looked great when he played in all 3 games. But the best ability is avalibality. The guy may have to be cut.

Having the 30 pick in the first - Hate to be this far back in the first unless we're super bowl champs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KofQ wrote:
Having the 30 pick in the first - Hate to be this far back in the first unless we're super bowl champs.

Is this right? I thought draft order was #32 SB Champ, #31 SB Runner-up. .... and then it went by record which would make Dallas 30 and a few other teams like KC higher than us.
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
KofQ wrote:

Is this right? I thought draft order was #32 SB Champ, #31 SB Runner-up. .... and then it went by record which would make Dallas 30 and a few other teams like KC higher than us.

Nope. It's by record of knocked out. GB has 29 due to having a worse record.
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
UP

1.RB's Bell , he is quite a player and DWill is a great reserve
2. OL - we finally have a solid OL. While this finally happened, there are other concerns elsewhere Embarassed
3. 2016 draft - that was more like a draft wasn't it
4. playing draft picks, they produced and played at a good level.
5. how the team rallied after the losing streak. Showed some guts

HM
1. keeping Dupree on the return list, this was a good move by the FO/coaches
2. Letting Harrison rest most of the season _ doubt we make the title game if Harrison was full time all year.
3. letting the rookies start, artie and davis were good starters, bright future. james is OUR new TE for the future.

Down.

1. The coaches D-plan vs the pats ws the absolute worst possible IMO. That is easily the top down , unanimous.
2. jarvis, but that was expected
3. injuries early on as well as suspensions but many teams deal with that - part of the game.
4. CB's are in need of retooling. Cockrell doesn't want to hit or tackle, Gilbert is on the sidelines, Golson was hurt. Artie is good but Willie is slowing down which I never thought would ever happen. Time to fix this and start playing press man to man coverage.
5. that nickel butler had most of the time - get rid of it. Or if you want 4 on the line, make sure they can set the edge vs the run to maintain gap control.

HM
my anger after and during the afccg due to the D gameplan and then the refs were minor as were dropped passes. The zone D vs brady is throwing in the towel.
James is not the te for the future. Good number 2 tho
Lambert44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups

O Line - maybe the most consistent unit of the team
Bell - Best RB in the league
Draft Picks - Burns, Davis and Hargrave

Down

Coaches - A lot of talent on this team, wasted by lack of schemes,
and game planning for each individual opponent. Lack of accountability
and discipline.

Brown - It's all about him, hope he has fun watching the Super Bowl.
ComebackKid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPS
1. Offensive Line was great throughout the season and really showed it's dominance during the nine-game winning streak when the offense turned to Bell primarily.

2. Bell answered the bell. Stepped up big time after serving the three-game winning streak and solidified himself as a top back in this league. Hope he's with us for a long time.

3. 2016 draft class has been one of the most successful in recent draft memory. All three of the first picks have played major roles on the team and shown that they can be pieces the team can build around in the future. (Burns, Davis, Hargrave)

4. AFC Championship Berth even though they didn't come out on top still proud of the team making it this far. We should be in the mix in the future to maybe break through and get back.

5. Big Three played together all season for the most part. Also, the huge bounce back after the four-game losing streak. Loved the resilience of the team.

DOWNS
1. Future a little up in the air concerning Ben, Brown, Bell, and Bryant. Ben hinting at retirement, Brown's arrogance is beginning to show itself, Bell while he produced still ended up on the sideline to end the season, and Bryant needs to prove to the team they can trust him to be available. Troubling off-season start.

2. Todd Haley's wrinkles in the offense continue to make it inconsistent to a extent. This year everyone expected the offense to carry the team but too many occasions the offense stalled, or were none existent and of course the redzone struggles. Bryant not being there doesn't help but it's concerning.

3. Coaching in some of the bad losses just looked completely inferior to some teams. (Eagles, Dolphins, Patriots)

4. No reliable quarterback. Landry in all likelyhood is gone we need to find someone given how often Ben gets injured.

5. Green and Coates are irritating and really could have used their quick strike ability in some of the losses I mentioned this year. Jarvis Jones on the defensive side of the ball is done so is Shamarko Thomas.

🐝🐝🐝 TRIPLE BEES 🐝🐝🐝
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big up is the heat that the coaching staff is taking for that loss to the Pats. This is the most focus on coaching the Steelers have had in the entire Tomlin era. The narrative is set that the Patriots and Belichick/Brady own the Steelers. Dominate them.

That's good because it may force them to really look in the mirror. The other losses were ugly/embarrassing, but regular season games that weren't particularly significant. This playoff loss? I mean, if this doesn't get deep down inside Tomlin's skin, nothing will.

They need to be thinking about the Pats and beating those guys at all times. That needs to be the approach this off-season, in my view. I'm not convinced that happens, but this is the best shot.

Barring a fluke, you aren't getting out of the AFC without beating them next year.

Frankly, I think more of this is going to fall on Colbert's shoulders. Not because the team is lacking talent, but because I don't trust Tomlin and this staff to beat teams with inferior talent. I have too much evidence indicating that.
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
J Soze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up

1. Young defensive talent - missing on high draft picks (Jones) is a big setback to a franchise. Between the emergence of Tuitt and Shazier, the potential of Dupree, Burns, and Davis, I think we've set up our defense to be pretty good if we get a few more pieces. We would be in BAD shape if it weren't for those guys. It should only improve.

2. Offensive Line - one of the best units in football, and by far the best we've had since Faneca and co.

3. Young wideouts & TE's - hear me out. We lost our #2, #3, our franchise tight end, Coates broke his hand blew his chance, even DHB missed a lot of time. I like Rogers and Ayers going forward, and Jesse James and Grimble made some big plays. You can't fault the organization for a practice squad guy (Hamilton) getting targets when he was probably the 8th guy on the depth chart from what the team originally envisioned.

4. Bell - Not a whole lot needs to be said - he's the best back in the game and proved it, and would be higher if it weren't for the conduct issues.

5. Kieth Butler - For as abysmal as the AFCCG was, he turned a complete liability last year, and a bad unit at the beginning of the year, into a SOLID defense. I hope he'll learn from the Pats game, because other than that, I think he's done a good job.

6 (bonus). Overcoming adversity - We started 4-5 and made the AFCCG.

Down

1. Discipline & coaching - Something stinks here - No, you can't argue that the production isn't there, but AB's antics are embarrassing to the team. Imagine you grew up in the league with guys like Faneca, Hines, Polamalu, Farrior and Heath Miller in the locker room. I would be pissed too if I were Ben.

2. Ben - I'm not entirely saying it's his fault, but something is off. I'm not sure whether it was his focus, his natural ability declining with age, or the fact that he doesnt have chemistry with some young receivers, but be he hasn't looked sharp in a long time. A few years ago, he looked to be entering his prime in terms of production, with a great O-line, running back, and receiving core at his disposal. Big disappointment.

3. AFCCG - it deserves its own spot on the down list. The gameplan, the execution, and drama surrounding it was so horrible that it made the world and even players go from Super Bowl hopefuls to demoralized and doubtful about the future.

4. Disappointments - Jarvis Jones is the most glaring. Green for his reasons. I guess you could lump Cockrell and Mitchell in there, but what did you expect.

5. Coaching Adjustments - I don't believe we have a bad set of coaches. I think Tomlin, Haley, and Butler are all solid at what they do. The problem is, they're stubborn and arrogant, and when they face GREAT coaches, they get exposed.
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
The big up is the heat that the coaching staff is taking for that loss to the Pats. This is the most focus on coaching the Steelers have had in the entire Tomlin era. The narrative is set that the Patriots and Belichick/Brady own the Steelers. Dominate them.

That's good because it may force them to really look in the mirror. The other losses were ugly/embarrassing, but regular season games that weren't particularly significant. This playoff loss? I mean, if this doesn't get deep down inside Tomlin's skin, nothing will.

They need to be thinking about the Pats and beating those guys at all times. That needs to be the approach this off-season, in my view. I'm not convinced that happens, but this is the best shot.

Barring a fluke, you aren't getting out of the AFC without beating them next year.

Frankly, I think more of this is going to fall on Colbert's shoulders. Not because the team is lacking talent, but because I don't trust Tomlin and this staff to beat teams with inferior talent. I have too much evidence indicating that.

I am not ecstatic about any of the main coaches, except for Munchak who is a jewel, not so much elsewhere on the staff. I have doubts Tomlin can ever powerfully compete with BB in both advance game planning and real time adjustments. Most NFL coaches can't compete with BB. One of the professional sports coaches that could compete with him in terms of strategic brilliance is coaching basketball, Popovich. Coaches like BB are rare, who else out there consistently counters his chess playing with countermoves?

Regardless, without a doubt there is much talent on this team, and there is much growth needed in the professionalism and effectiveness of the coaching, including a higher level of discipline and consistency. And hopefully, as you stated, it is now obvious to them. Enough of platitudes.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: