Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Spence Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Sean Spence Update Reply with quote

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/05/sean-spence-says-will-know-otas-can-play/

It seems like Sean Spence is starting off OTAs right. As of right now beat writers aren't seeing that much difference between 2012 Spence and 2014 Spence. He's hustling to plays and is often one of the first players to arrive to where the ball is.

Quote:
One of the things that really stood out to me [about him] as a rookie, before he injured his knee in that fourth preseason game against Carolina, was how he was able to find the football, and how sudden he was in showing up there. I really can’t remember back that far how quickly he was there and whether he’s as quick now as he was then, or is he half a step slower; I don’t know how to gauge that just yet.

But I did notice a couple of different times, as you’re watching 11-on-11, and the ball would go to one side of the field or the other…you see a bunch of gold jerseys there, and you look at the numbers to see who was there first, and 51 was there pretty quickly on more than one occasion. So it looks like what Sean Spence had that made him special as a rookie, he hasn’t lost all of that.

The really intriguing part to me regarding Sean Spence is…he’s been asked “are you really going to have to wait until training camp to know whether you’re back or not” and he said, in his words, “ no, I think I’ll find out right now if I can run and cut and do all the things that I’ll have to do on my knee. I know how to play in pads”.

Sean Spence said,

“I think it slowed the game down for me a lot. I’m picking up things a lot easier now, being able to watch for two years, correcting other people’s mistakes and not making the same mistakes on the field”.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell.

Its nice to know he is healthy, but OTAs mean nothing at all in terms of determining how good they will be on Sundays. If that was the case, Limas Sweed and Ricardo Coke would be would be all pros right now.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear. Full contact or not, the fact that he's in mix and sometimes the first one there is comforting. That shows that he's got speed and agility (unless the others are half-assing it and he's full go). However, I don't think you can play Shazier and Spence on the field at the same time. If Spence makes the final 53, I see him coming in and giving Shazier breathers. Or vice-versa if they feel Shazier isn't ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
It's nice to hear. Full contact or not, the fact that he's in mix and sometimes the first one there is comforting. That shows that he's got speed and agility (unless the others are half-assing it and he's full go). However, I don't think you can play Shazier and Spence on the field at the same time. If Spence makes the final 53, I see him coming in and giving Shazier breathers. Or vice-versa if they feel Shazier isn't ready.
On passing downs you can - 2nd and long, 3 rd and long or if they're protecting a lead and the opposing team is just passing the ball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
On passing downs you can - 2nd and long, 3 rd and long or if they're protecting a lead and the opposing team is just passing the ball.

I know it's Steeler Forum rules not to be optimistic..... But I am excited about the possibilities. With LT, Shazier and Spence that is a lot of speed and with the bright spot we saw of Williams makes for a potentially strong ILB core. If Worlds and Jones can improve our defense could be much improved.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Chieferific

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

I know it's Steeler Forum rules not to be optimistic..... But I am excited about the possibilities. With LT, Shazier and Spence that is a lot of speed and with the bright spot we saw of Williams makes for a potentially strong ILB core. If Worlds and Jones can improve our defense could be much improved.

Laughing Granted there can be circumstances when both can be on the field together. The point I was trying to make is that in the base package, they shouldn't be. W/O a Hampton-like NT clogging the holes, these guys are not Bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Laughing Granted there can be circumstances when both can be on the field together. The point I was trying to make is that in the base package, they shouldn't be. W/O a Hampton-like NT clogging the holes, these guys are not Bucks.
So, next year in the Super Bowl when the Steelers play the Redskins, 49ers or Seahawks, Vince Williams will probably play more than Spence. Big deal! Wink
Chieferific

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

So, next year in the Super Bowl when the Steelers play the Redskins, 49ers or Seahawks, Vince Williams will probably play more than Spence. Big deal! Wink

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I was simply stating that it's great to hear about Spence's progression but with the drafting of Shazier he's been delegated to backup duty. If that's the case, it's great for a guy who looked as if his career was over before it started. Just putting things into perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Right npow it appears that ILB has the most quality depth and that is always a good thing. OLB however, has no depth and the starters also have had injury history (worilds) or were not effective (jones). I would hope they sign Harrison to solidify OLB and once that is done, LB is set for the year unless way too many injuries take place.

If spence finds the ball really well, this is always a good sign. If timmons gets hurt, will spence take his place and call the D? Shazier is a rookie, and foote is gone, so just a thought .
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Right npow it appears that ILB has the most quality depth and that is always a good thing. OLB however, has no depth and the starters also have had injury history (worilds) or were not effective (jones). I would hope they sign Harrison to solidify OLB and once that is done, LB is set for the year unless way too many injuries take place.

If spence finds the ball really well, this is always a good sign. If timmons gets hurt, will spence take his place and call the D? Shazier is a rookie, and foote is gone, so just a thought .

True if LT goes down it'll be a big blow....

As far as Harrison.... Idk... You'd think if he had anything left other teams would have brought him in or something. The whole him wanting to come back seems rather desperate. Might he be a good back up and mentor, maybe. But seems like he's done and the Steelers aren't even interested in him as depth.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Tomlin-"Football in shorts."

vikingsvikings wrote:
I've never been a big fan of Lacy. He needs to improve a lot, otherwise he'll remain a fairly average back.
Liar
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I was simply stating that it's great to hear about Spence's progression but with the drafting of Shazier he's been delegated to backup duty. If that's the case, it's great for a guy who looked as if his career was over before it started. Just putting things into perspective.
It was a joke. I totally understood what you meant.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Don't sleep on Zumwalt. He had high football IQ and he brings a level of nasty that this defense sorely lacks. ask Logan Thomas (among others).
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many hope that Spence will recover as he has the elite instincts and football IQ. Just a smaller frame.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind if Spence ended up starting next to Timmons. I hope there is a real competition where he gets a chance. After everything he's been through to get back, he deserves an opportunity to compete and I hope the team gives it to him.

If Shazier isn't ready mentally, I don't want him thrown in for the sake of it. Spence is sort of a vet, but not really, so I don't think the Lebeau house rules apply here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: