Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Replacment Kickers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KofQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Replacment Kickers Reply with quote

With Sushi out for the year, what kicker do you see ultimately being the replacement. I say Shayne Graham or Jay Feeley. Anybody know of any under the radar guys that could be good kickers?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham is garbage. Feeley wouldnt be bad.

Reports are they are bringing in Feeley, Garrett Hartley and Alex Henery.

pnies20 wrote:
I know I'm one of the biggest trolls on here, but dont call me on it. I can dish it but cant take it.
KofQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Graham is garbage. Feeley wouldnt be bad.

Reports are they are bringing in Feeley, Garrett Hartley and Alex Henery.

I wouldn't mind Henery at all. I remember wanting the front office to nab him in the draft when he was coming out. I would pass on Hartley, just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An injury to a kicker at this point sucks. I think paying Suisham was a mistake and he is easily replaceable. Less so, though, right before the start of the season. Most NFL kickers sit in a happy medium range where they aren't that different. But then the guys at the bottom can cost you a few games a year.

Then again, Suisham himself was a guy they picked up off the scrapheap. He was probably a bit more reliable on paper because the Steelers protected him. They knew his range, and didn't ask him to kick beyond that. The rest of the difference? Who the hell knows.

How a kicker performs from one season to the next can have pretty large swings. A few kicks at a long distance can throw off percentages, and they can get into weird funks. When Suisham was off, he was usually off for an entire game.

Graham is a choker I don't trust in big spots. Feeley is old and was always kind of mediocre. Alex Henery is interesting. Was horrible last year when the Lions brought him in, but had two decent seasons to start before going off a cliff. Still young. A bit like Suisham.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
An injury to a kicker at this point sucks. I think paying Suisham was a mistake and he is easily replaceable. Less so, though, right before the start of the season. Most NFL kickers sit in a happy medium range where they aren't that different. But then the guys at the bottom can cost you a few games a year.

Then again, Suisham himself was a guy they picked up off the scrapheap. He was probably a bit more reliable on paper because the Steelers protected him. They knew his range, and didn't ask him to kick beyond that. The rest of the difference? Who the hell knows.

How a kicker performs from one season to the next can have pretty large swings. A few kicks at a long distance can throw off percentages, and they can get into weird funks. When Suisham was off, he was usually off for an entire game.

Graham is a choker I don't trust in big spots. Feeley is old and was always kind of mediocre. Alex Henery is interesting. Was horrible last year when the Lions brought him in, but had two decent seasons to start before going off a cliff. Still young. A bit like Suisham.

Agreed, I say go for Henery, with Feely being 2nd choice. Of course, that's a fan perspective--if Graham comes in and blows them away, well, then...

I know nothing of Hartley--will have to look him up.

Doesn't matter though, this is a huge blow, and will require them to use 'kid gloves' early on--no kicks 45 yds or longer, until the PK build some confidence.

Props to Jamison on the image!!!

Hines Ward--1000 rec (9), 12083 yds (21), 85 TDs (15)
PLAYOFFS--88 rec (3) 1181 yds (6), 10 TDs (T-3)
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henery has the best leg, is the youngest, and has the most potential.

I would prefer a more reliable option however.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy...why not take a look at Ficken...

Aren't many out there that faced more adversity than he and then went onto to have a stellar career and finish. Knows how much it means to make or miss that kick.

...you have a forum resume?
gatek99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Danny Hrappman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickalicious!
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Henery has the best leg, is the youngest, and has the most potential.

I would prefer a more reliable option however.

Agree with your assessment 100%. Henery has a very powerful leg, but his accuracy was very inconsistent. It is tough kicking at Heinz Field and this in my humble opinion puts more pressure on the red zone offense to improve.

It is going to take some time to build confidence in a kicker. They can till bring someone else in after final cuts as well. Suisham was very inconsistent in Washington, but became a new man in Pittsburgh. He seems to have a stronger leg for FG's than KO's. I hated the fact that he doesn't have that booming leg on the KO's, but he can hit the FG between 45 - 55 yards. Suisham was pretty consistent and reliable for the Steelers.

I don't know how easily he can be replaced, but the Steelers have had success in the past finding kickers from free agency. This is how they got one of the franchises best in Gary Anderson years ago.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
packerrfan74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new ball placement on PATs it would be really tough to watch yall lose a game off of a botched extra point. Guess that was the purpose of the rule. Really adds a lot more importance to the PK position.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:

Aren't many out there that faced more adversity than he and then went onto to have a stellar career and finish. Knows how much it means to make or miss that kick.

This. Ficken is my boy. Texted him late last night telling him this too.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Fine by me, if you all say he is good. I don't watch much college football, so I can't comment, really...

Props to Jamison on the image!!!

Hines Ward--1000 rec (9), 12083 yds (21), 85 TDs (15)
PLAYOFFS--88 rec (3) 1181 yds (6), 10 TDs (T-3)
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
warfelg wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

Fine by me, if you all say he is good. I don't watch much college football, so I can't comment, really...

He's mentally tough, and kicked in the NCAA version of Heinz Field.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reaction to the Hartley signing?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: