Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Slimy agent update...AB contract.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Slimy agent update...AB contract. Reply with quote

I told you guys in Feb about a conversation I heard in Phoenix between Drew Rosenhaus and AB about reworking his contract.

Adam Shefter just tweeted that now that TY Hilton deal is done Drew is headed to Pittsburgh to rework AB's deal.

Thoughts???

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Slimy agent update...AB contract. Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
I told you guys in Feb about a conversation I heard in Phoenix between Drew Rosenhaus and AB about reworking his contract.

Adam Shefter just tweeted that now that TY Hilton deal is done Drew is headed to Pittsburgh to rework AB's deal.

Thoughts???

It's a crappy part of the game but I get it. T.Y is set to make approx. $25 Million more with $30 Million more guaranteed. He's not the same WR as AB but timing is everything.

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Rooney will tell Rosenhaus to pound salt.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

IDK... read they're meeting in Jacksonville tomorrow. Why meet if that's the case???

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooney/Colbert will be nice to meet with Rosenhaus just to keep a good relationship. But Rooney has zero reasons to even to begin to talk about an extension. AB is signed though 2018. Come talk in two years.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

I don't think so, tbh. It would be a sign of good faith to AB by the team. If AB gets injured, then he loses value later.

I think Rooney/Colbert will work something out that makes AB happy, yet doesn't strangle us with the cap.

Props to Jamison on the image!!!

Hines Ward--1000 rec (9), 12083 yds (21), 85 TDs (15)
PLAYOFFS--88 rec (3) 1181 yds (6), 10 TDs (T-3)
warfelg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be shocked by a reworking that gives a small raise in exchange for more guaranteed money through the remaining years.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised if the Steelers do anything. He's got three years left still. What kind of precedent would that send to other players on the team who will see the Steelers rework contracts with that much time left on it?

Thanks to UniversalAuthor on the Cutch sig
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I would be surprised if the Steelers do anything. He's got three years left still. What kind of precedent would that send to other players on the team who will see the Steelers rework contracts with that much time left on it?

That if you're top 5 at your position in the league we will work to pay you your worth.... what a concept! And great incentive for the rest of the team.

Although I don't know if I'm convinced it'll happen.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but player contracts are constantly going up. When the Steelers paid Brown initially, it was over market value. Now it's under, but he's hardly making peanuts, either. You pay him now, unless you give him QB money like Johnson or Fitzgerald, he's still going to be underpaid in a few years.

So, in three years from now when WR contracts inflate some more, are the Steelers back in the same position with him while he has 2-3 years left on his contract?

And, is ANY WR worth the very top market rate that other teams have paid?

The one thing I will say here is - Brown showed up for OTA's. He responded right away. He's an incredibly hard worker. He's extremely talented. I would hardly begrudge him getting paid and reworked. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rooneys and/or others in the chain of command told him show up, and it will happen.

I know Roethlisberger told Brown to show up for OTA's the next time to avoid fan backlash. I'm willing to bet there was more to that conversation, and the Rooney's meeting with Rosenhaus tells me that there was some backdoor stuff probably going on there, as well.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown missed OTA's on a family matter ( or birth of a child). He was excused but the media made a big deal of it. He did not miss it due to his contract.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might get together and discuss something for the future, but I guarantee AB isnt getting a new contract this offseason and in reality, the Steelers hold all the cards right now. As stated, we initially overpaid Brown and he is still making good money, even if he is underpaid a bit. He still has 3 years on his current deal and the Steelers dont usually negotiate with players until they are down to their final year. Now, I could see them doing something next offseason, but Rosenhaus has no leverage at all at this point, and Brown isnt going to sit out with 3 years left on his deal.

This is a total non concern right now.

pnies20 wrote:
I know I'm one of the biggest trolls on here, but dont call me on it. I can dish it but cant take it.
skywlker32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Brown gets a new contract and then under-performs, do you think he would consider taking a pay cut? Some players are quick to hold out for more money, but when they are being over-paid, they would take it as offensive if they would be required to take a pay cut (I guess hold out equivalent for a team would be bench him if he doesn't take the pay cut).

I don't think Brown will go that route, but I hate that these players get their long-term contracts and then some of them go and try to force a renegotiation after a couple years. The long term contracts are a risk/reward situation for the teams because they may get a player that they would be under-paying if they progress or they may be way over-paying a player if they would drop off in ability, get injured or just plain quit on the team. When the players go and try to force a new contract, the team has more risk and it can end up hurting teams.

TLDR version: players (more-so agents) need to just understand that the contract is in place until a year or so is left in the contract. At that time you can get your huge paycheck assuming you have maintained that level of play.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Ok, but player contracts are constantly going up. When the Steelers paid Brown initially, it was over market value. Now it's under, but he's hardly making peanuts, either. You pay him now, unless you give him QB money like Johnson or Fitzgerald, he's still going to be underpaid in a few years.

So, in three years from now when WR contracts inflate some more, are the Steelers back in the same position with him while he has 2-3 years left on his contract?

And, is ANY WR worth the very top market rate that other teams have paid?

The one thing I will say here is - Brown showed up for OTA's. He responded right away. He's an incredibly hard worker. He's extremely talented. I would hardly begrudge him getting paid and reworked. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rooneys and/or others in the chain of command told him show up, and it will happen.

I know Roethlisberger told Brown to show up for OTA's the next time to avoid fan backlash. I'm willing to bet there was more to that conversation, and the Rooney's meeting with Rosenhaus tells me that there was some backdoor stuff probably going on there, as well.

Yeah, it was over market value for an 1100 Yd 2 TD, middle-of-the-pack WR, but we're now talking about a twice 1500ish Yd 10ish TD Top 3 WR. It's a completely different matter. I doubt, had we paid top 5 WR money back then, which was about $11-12M per, that this would be an issue. We paid him a little over $8M per, more in line with a Top 20 WR.

I'm just saying that after the contracts signed by Dez, DT, and Hilton, if I was Brown, I'd feel underpaid. Not slighted, mind you--they definitely overpaid and took care of AB at the time, but now, I'm sure he feels that playing 2 more years as a top 5 WR, being paid as a top 15 WR, is a bit lopsided. And tbh, if I were AB, I'd feel sick to my stomach knowing that Hilton was being paid almost $5M more per season for the next two years, knowing I out-played Hilton by wide margin, to the tune of 80 rec, 800yds, 9TDs, over the past two seasons.

And remember, that was with AB having to catch balls from an inferior QB, seeing as Luck is the best QB in the league--just ask those on the Comparison forum (ROFL--just go about midway down on page 2 and 9 of this thread, provided below)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=567349&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=567349&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Back to seriousness--honestly, I doubt the Steelers feel any animosity toward AB for wanting to renegotiate after what he's done over the past two seasons. They've gotten two seasons of top 3 WR performance for top 15 pay. Asking him to continue to play at that level for two more years with no injury is asking him to hold out a lot of faith, and that's just not right, IMO.

Props to Jamison on the image!!!

Hines Ward--1000 rec (9), 12083 yds (21), 85 TDs (15)
PLAYOFFS--88 rec (3) 1181 yds (6), 10 TDs (T-3)
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown has every right to ask. The Steelers do not renegotiate contracts until there is one year left. They did not do it with Ward or anyone else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: