Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben says offense correctable, gives solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Ben says offense correctable, gives solution Reply with quote

Quote:
"It's nothing to be scared about," the 11th-year veteran said of the offense's struggles dating to the second half of the Steelers' 30-27 Week 1 win over the Browns. "It's just a little thing here, a little thing there.

"We're going to get some people involved that haven't been on the field -- the Will Johnsons, the Matt Spaeths -- guys we feel are too good of players not to have on the field. We'll change the tempo a little more, we'll do a little bit more no-huddle."

Source - ESPN

So, don't worry about the offense. Matt Spaeth and Will Johnson, inexplicably left out of the offense through two games, are going to right this ship. If this is what the braintrust came up with as the solution, well...

Then again, it probably has to do with them wanting extra blockers on the field. They are going to max protect every play so they can run three yard crossing patterns all games with the occasional fade thrown in.

And I'll believe the no-huddle talk when I see it. I said this in the off-season, as well. It is painfully clear that this team will not run it as a base offense. On the road, we are lucky if they run it at all. If we do see it, it's usually because they are down three scores...a painfully frequent occurrence the last few seasons.

Most of the article focused on the hit from Upshaw which he has described as the second hardest of his career. Flacco, meanwhile, was hit once in the entire football game.

Quote:
"I'm hurting today as much as I was at any point I can think of in the last year," Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh.

Upshaw got a clean run at Roethlisberger on the third play of the game after he faked dropping into coverage. The hit Upshaw delivered was so hard that it knocked the wind out of Roethlisberger and drew a 15-yard penalty for roughing the passer.

The play was reminiscent of one that happened in 2006 in Baltimore, where former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott slammed into Roethlisberger on a blitz.

Roethlisberger has said that is the hardest he ever has been hit.

"This is easily right there with a close second," said Roethlisberger, who struggled with his accuracy after Upshaw's hit and completed 22 of 37 passes for 217 yards and an interception in the Steelers' first loss of the season. "I lost my breath instantly and remember hitting the ground thinking, 'Boy, that hurt a lot.' I kind of pride myself on not taking those big hits, but I sure as heck didn't see it coming."
izmb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited for this upcoming game and it is good to see Big Ben confident but I must say we have a tough opponent ahead of this Sunday. They just demolished Detroit only allowing them 7 points last week..but hey we are Pittsburgh lets do this baby!

If we can run the ball somewhat well with Bell we have a good chance in this one!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ben says and what Todd Haley is willing to allow him to do are probably two completely different things.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post..

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Last edited by wwhickok on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
stillersenat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not like Ben is going to tell the media which plays they are going to use and practice on. It's just more sports-speech to keep the reporters happy.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Well it's not like Ben is going to tell the media which plays they are going to use and practice on. It's just more sports-speech to keep the reporters happy.

The reality of what's going to happen sounds much more like this;

"We'll start out with the no-huddle, it'll work for 3 plays and then we'll abandon it and punt. You won't see it again unless we're down by 3 TDs. Oh and when we are trailing be assured we're going to run the ball straight up the middle for 1-2 yards each, because that's how Todd Haley likes to roll".

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People understand the correlation between a trash defense and the ability to run the no huddle correct?

Our defense was gassed and we DIDN'T run a no huddle. Go three and out one time within a 3 minute time frame and put the defense back on the field and see how many other guys can throw up.

I most definitely want to see more no huddle and think it could benefit the offense greatly, but there is a major risk reward that comes with no huddle. Until our defense shows that they can even semi get off the field in a quicker pace I dont think we are going to see the offense pick up the pace.
BenderRodriguez

Location: #SteelerNation-We have six Lombardie's and you don't. Haters Hate
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to use no huddle in the road.

Ring the Bell Roll the Blount
BELL & BLOUNT-DB's> Anxious Anxious
Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
461 Total Yards
316 yds Rushing 1 td
146 yards receiveing (0.0.% drop percentage)

Shocked
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be said that you can change a teams 'plan' by scoring touchdowns and we'd score more of them imo if we ran the no-huddle more often. Just because you're running the no-huddle doesn't mean you have to snap the football within seconds of getting back to the line. The no-huddle can be used a variety of ways. One of those ways is to get back to the line via the no-huddle and then use every second of the play clock every single time before snapping the football, you still keep the defense on the field without subbing out and it allows you to play the clock management game.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your using the No Huddle in a way that isn't the Hurry Up you are using it to keep the Defense from subbing (I know..."Duh"). This allows for mismatches. What player on the Steeler roster creates a matchup problem for the Defense? What player does the Defense say to themselves...."Uh Oh, they went No Huddle and now we can't matchup with that guy? The ONLY one I see is Archer who didn't play last week (perhaps that's the reason we didn't see it). W/O Archer, the only benefit from running the No Huddle is it's ability to get some rhythm going. And it certainly can. I'm just trying to caution those that think running the No Huddle is going to be solve all the problems that exist and be some sort of a cure all. It's not that simple. With that said, I do not see how Spaeth and Johnson solve anything either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
If your using the No Huddle in a way that isn't the Hurry Up you are using it to keep the Defense from subbing (I know..."Duh"). This allows for mismatches. What player on the Steeler roster creates a matchup problem for the Defense? What player does the Defense say to themselves...."Uh Oh, they went No Huddle and now we can't matchup with that guy? The ONLY one I see is Archer who didn't play last week (perhaps that's the reason we didn't see it). W/O Archer, the only benefit from running the No Huddle is it's ability to get some rhythm going. And it certainly can. I'm just trying to caution those that think running the No Huddle is going to be solve all the problems that exist and be some sort of a cure all. It's not that simple. With that said, I do not see how Spaeth and Johnson solve anything either.

I think AB is capable of creating match up issues and at times, I think Le'Veon Bell is as well because of his ability to break through the second level. I get that we don't have that "true deep threat" or that superior Tight End. But When you get a play that gets a big gain because of the defense that was on the field, imo, that's an opportune time to run a no-huddle to attempt to run a similar play and gain another first down or big yardage.

There's ways to use it and you don't even have to use it non-stop. The problem is that the only time we use it currently is when we're already losing by 2-3 TDs and it's too late.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AB is a WR. The "mismatch" is no different than if they huddled up. Same player (CB) covers him. To me mismatches occur when you split a TE out (we can't) or a RB out (LB/SS covers). Or if the Defense matches up initially in a Dime/Nickel because they go 3 or 4 Wide then change to a Split Back formation or something. This could be advantageous if they had the OL to make the mismatch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is this, the no-huddle offense can be used in a versatile manner, but not only do we not do that, we barely use it at all.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
My point is this, the no-huddle offense can be used in a versatile manner, but not only do we not do that, we barely use it at all.

No argument there. Afterall, what they're doing isn't working so any variation would be welcomed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: