Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Now that the smoke has cleared

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Now that the smoke has cleared Reply with quote

Now that the smoke has cleared and the draft is over, Lets look at our draft as a whole. The first night I was upset about passing on Billings as I have said many times on here. I have yet to talk about the actual players we have picked. So here s my view of our draft.

1. Artie Burns CB- Long, fast, confident and hard nosed CB. He is extremely raw but he is only 20 and came out early. I wanted WJIII for the reason of him being more pro ready and I wanted to be in win now mode. Artie is 3 years younger than WJIII and has more upside IMO. He will now be able to focus on one sport instead of two, athletically he has everything to be successful as a corner, he has great balls skills, and from what I've seen and heard I love he has a Steelers demeanor. If Lake is as good as a coach as I believe he is the sky is the limit for this kid.

2. Sean Davis S- Finally!!!! we get a Safety with above average cover skills. Not only does Davis have above average cover skills, he is an enforcer and a great athlete. Having those combined qualities are rare. I looked at his combine numbers vs the rest of the field of safeties and he is top 5 in every category. I feel had Sean played safety this year he would have been much rated much higher.
3. Javon Hargreaves NT- I am still upset we did not get Billings but this pick makes me feel better about it. Another great Athlete. His explosion numbers were great for DT. His pass rushing skills are super impressive. My only concern with him is can he take on Double Teams and hold the POA against NFL competition. We have to keep blockers off of Shazier who has the potential to be an AllPro LB if kept clean to run and hit.
4. Jerald Hawkins OT- I don't know a ton about Hawkins, but what I do know is he is a player who was supposed to be rated much higher but had a down Junior year and came out early anyway. I like this because that tells me he has the ability to be much better if coached up and motivated. Plus he has room to grow as he also skipped his senior year.
6. Travis Feeney OLB-What do you know, we have another impressive athlete. A former safety who was converted to play OLB. He has shown flashes of ability and plays with a reckless abandon. The main thing that has kept him from developing is his ability to stay healthy. He has already had 4 shoulder surgeries. That is worrisome, but if he can stay healthy he can become the perfect sub-package player. Fenney a former safety obviously has good coverage skills and he has potential to become a very good pass rusher.
7a.Demarcus Ayers WR- All I have heard from the Steelers camp is best punt returner in the draft. If he can become a good punt returner this pick is a success. Getting AB off of pun return duties is long over due. I do not believe in putting the best WR in the league on PR duties.
7b.Tyler Matekevich ILB- I am personally not a fan of this pick. I think he is a college player not an NFL player. I would have much rather grabbed Cash or the best RB or CB on the board.

Overall I love the theme of this draft. Defense first, great athletes, enforcers, a focus on improving our Sub-package football. We are showing faith in our coaches with this draft. A lot of raw athletes who could become stars. If you look at how fast and athletic our Defense could be this year and even more next year with players like Dupree, Shazier, Mitchell, Burnes, Davis, Tuitt, Cam, and Golsen.

while this is not the A draft we had in 2014, I give this draft a solid B+. I think our Defense is on its way back to dominance in 2017 if not as soon as 2016.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

121 players taken before Billings and you're still upset we didn't take him 1.25??? Confused
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
121 players taken before Billings and you're still upset we didn't take him 1.25??? Confused

Yeah, as much as cksteeler and I went round-n-round on Billings in our draft thread, the fact of the matter is, teams were concerned about his knee, regardless of what 'cRap'paport said, his difficult in moving horizontally likely pushed him down boards. That said, he's so strong that he's going to be able to overpower half the NFL Centers one-on-one by sheer strength alone. But cksteeler IS right in that you need to have more of a repertoire if you are going to be considered a early round DT.

I have several concerns about this draft class, but Hargrave is NOT one of them. I see him as one of the 'sure' things in this draft. Dude has quite the 'bubble butt' and thick legs; I don't see him having any problem anchoring as a 3-4 NT if they choose to use him there.

Davis is the other pick I am comfortable with. He probably was drafted a half round early (but what do I know--pure speculation on my part), but I'm ok with that. He's not a CB, he's a S pure and simple...BUT, if push comes to shove, it's nice to know we have a guy who at least as man-to-man experience.

Feeney, I feel, as a lot of work to do. I did not see much film of him lining up on, and beating his Tackle for a pressure or sack. I think he's a pure sub-package, off-ball guy to start.

I like Matakevich; Football IQ and Instincts can take a player a long way...

Hawkins was decent value, but hard to get excited about an OT...

I'm ok with spending a 7th on Ayers--a pure STs guy. It's like drafting a Punter or PK in the 7th--that's how I view it.

Burns? Like the player, and he fills a position of need. I won't drone on about value, but don't see him getting a lot of snaps this year on D; I hope I am wrong and would love, love, love to eat crow on this guy.

Props to Jamison!!!

Reckless123 wrote:

OBJ visually, statistically was arguably the best WR in the league in 2014. And that is not far fetched.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they believe they have in McCullers what you would get in Billings....a 2 down, space eating NT.

Listening to Mitchell, they clearly wanted an interior penetrator on the DLine...and Hargrave was one of, if not THE, best at that in the draft.

IMO, this could be an amazing pick if they use him properly.

onejayhawk foolishly wrote:
If BenRoth were a top 5 QB I might agree. He has never been that. I would put him a tier down, with say, Matt Ryan
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. For the Matakevich fans, I'm trying to find what his strengths are. I don't care what most scouting reports say because they are biased in some ways or not. Kind of like how they skipped over all the Steelers pick except the 1st and I think the 6th. A 4.81 isn't too slow to play inside but I watched two games and wasn't very impressed. I will continue to look for more but what should I expect to see?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Ok. For the Matakevich fans, I'm trying to find what his strengths are. I don't care what most scouting reports say because they are biased in some ways or not. Kind of like how they skipped over all the Steelers pick except the 1st and I think the 6th. A 4.81 isn't too slow to play inside but I watched two games and wasn't very impressed. I will continue to look for more but what should I expect to see?

The Penn State/Temple game is a good indicator of what his strengths are. He isn't an athletic LB. Speed isn't a strength. However in close quarters he is a very hard hitter, good tackler, good instincts. Reads offenses well. His lack of athleticism is why he was a 7th round draft pick instead of a 2-4.

He can be an asset imo against the run inside and on special teams. This to me was about getting a guy who can play in depth rotation and play smart. Tackle well and execute well. He isn't explosive, isn't a pass rusher and he isn't gonna play man to man in coverage however, one other thing he does well on close quarters is create turnovers. Fumbles and interceptions.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

The Penn State/Temple game is a good indicator of what his strengths are. He isn't an athletic LB. Speed isn't a strength. However in close quarters he is a very hard hitter, good tackler, good instincts. Reads offenses well. His lack of athleticism is why he was a 7th round draft pick instead of a 2-4.

He can be an asset imo against the run inside and on special teams. This to me was about getting a guy who can play in depth rotation and play smart. Tackle well and execute well. He isn't explosive, isn't a pass rusher and he isn't gonna play man to man in coverage however, one other thing he does well on close quarters is create turnovers. Fumbles and interceptions.

Thanks. I just watched it and I see the toughness. Mad a bad read and allowed the RB to run by him for a TD. Overall, I am excited to see how he does in the preseason. Regarding STs, you MUST listen to Coach Smith talk about ST players. It will make ya smile.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: