Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben almost retired after punishing 2008 game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Ben almost retired after punishing 2008 game Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2665320-ben-roethlisberger-comments-on-bengals-game-antonio-brown-eagles?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

Quote:
I’m not a big ‘remembering games’ type guy, especially losses, but that’s one that I do remember vividly. I remember getting sacked 8 or 9 times. I remember driving home from the airport after that game and thinking to myself, ‘do I want to keep doing this? Do I really want to keep playing football.

I remember this game, he took abuse like few have in this era. That was when we invested in talent for the D more than the OL. Our franchise QB almost got stretchered out for good on a few occasions. The FO finally in recent years, decided to get the OL respectable and prevent our QB from being in injured all year every year. I can't recall him EVER ONCE complaining to the media about his OL, not once . IIRC he won the SB with a shoulder injury. In 2010 he had IIRC the "cornflake" smashed nose and the cast on his foot.

Thankfully they eventually addressed the OL seriously. It makes all the difference IMO. If the OL maintains it's level of play, it could add a few more years to Bens Career. How many more years do you think he will play?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got sacked 8 or 9 times.....he got hit at least 20 times that game....alot of them hard hits.

I mean hell, Im just a fan and I remember how brutal that game was. Maybe its because it was part of our Super Bowl winning season, but that and Titans stomping our flag are the 2 negative parts of that season I recall. But I'd honestly probably remember it no matter what, because I dont think Ive ever seen an offensive line get manhandled the way ours was that day.

People criticized Ben for not being good that season, but after that game up until the playoffs, he was clearly playing hurt and honestly looked scared behind that OLine because he had no faith in them.

chrissyororke moronic trade idea #53167 wrote:
NYG - Le'Veon Bell, 2017 1st, Ryan Shazier, Markus Wheaton, 2018 2nd
PIT - OBJ, Landon Collins
Ghengis Graz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at that game and it was painful to watch.

It sucked being in the stands too as their fans were all over any Steelers fans there. I could have gotten in any number of fights had I returned even a fraction of the aggression shown towards my group. The fact that I was massively hung over helped keep me calm too.

Horrible game to watch
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely was a brutal game. The Eagles DL toyed with the Steelers OL. It wasn't even a contest between the two units.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Big Ben sig
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game was pretty frustrating, but it was the week that I really thought the Steelers defense was special.

Also have to say that criticism of Roethlisberger's play was greatly exaggerated. If people look at boxscores, it's not going to be impressive. If you watched the way that offense scratched and clawed every week and the big moments they had, it's a different story. Roethlisberger had a few weeks where he struggled from his injury. The Washington game in particular.

But probably the most underrated and least talked about Roethlisberger moment was that drive he led against Baltimore late in the season that clinched the division. 92 yards or whatever against a great Baltimore defense.

That was the worst OL to every win a Super Bowl and it's not even close. Even in the Super Bowl, they nearly cost the team the game with that holding penalty that resulted in a safety. That game was iced with a great third down conversion to Holmes. It was the dagger, and instead it ended with 2 points for Arizona and giving them the ball back for their go-ahead drive.

Then the media robbed Roethlisberger of a SBMVP that any other QB would have gotten.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philly is seriously the worst city Ive ever been to as far as people/fans go. There are good people there, but the bad ones stick out so much, especially if you arent from there. You cant wear another teams apparel without getting harassed/threatened. Ive never seen that in any other city....maybe an idiot here or there, but Philly is loaded with them. You can walk around freely in New York decked out in Red Sox gear and have less trouble than walking through Philly with the smallest piece of non-Philly sportswear on.

I hope we destroy Philly tomorrow....if only to infuriate their scumbag fans.

chrissyororke moronic trade idea #53167 wrote:
NYG - Le'Veon Bell, 2017 1st, Ryan Shazier, Markus Wheaton, 2018 2nd
PIT - OBJ, Landon Collins
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think that08 eagles game was the worst game for Ben getting hit? I remembered the texans game was bad too, that was when I one t postal about the OL here.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our line was DREADFUL that year. That game in particular always stands out as one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Not a QB in the world could have done anything that day.

He didn't have a good season, yet who would have behind that line? Most guys would have been missing games and given up on the season. But he knew he had an elite defense and had to pick it up where they left him off. Still played a brilliant SB and probably should have won MVP.

Oh man do I miss prime James Harrison.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a brutal game and proves that games are won and lost in the trenches. The Eagles DL just destroyed our OL and like 43Mafia said, Ben was hit probably twice as much as he was sacked.

We owe them some payback from that game and many others in the City of Brotherly Love. The last win in Philly was in like 1965. Time to get that monkey off our backs.

Ben has been a bit of an enigma at times and doesn't always get the love that he deserves, but I feel that Holmes should have been MVP. A strong argument could have been made for Harrison after his epic pick 6.

Holmes came up huge against the Cardinals. I will even go out on a limb and say that despite the Green Bay Packers dominating us in the SB loss, I think that game has a different outcome with Ben and Holmes in the same position. Brown was not Brown yet, and young slot WR Sanders got hurt early. Wallace was best known as being "One Trick" back then. Ben needed a Holmes. OL was still bad and couldn't consistently run. Missed block by DJ lead to costly fumble by Mendy. I think in that final drive, Ben missed his go to guy. Holmes unfortunately went up in smoke in the Burg.

Physical and tough game which is typical Burgh vs Philly, but I think we change history and win in Philly today. Steelers 33 - 24. This isn't the 08 OL and they don't have Landry Jones at QB this time (Lord, at least I pray not).

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: