Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mel Kiper's Top 5 Seniors and Juniors by Position
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
azazaz7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Mel Kiper's Top 5 Seniors and Juniors by Position Reply with quote

Since insider is free this week, I presume it's okay to post a link:

Link:Mel Kiper's Top 5 Seniors and Juniors by Position

One thing struck me about his list and that's the Junior QBs:
Quote:
Quarterbacks
1. Colt Brennan, Hawaii
2. John David Booty, USC
3. Brian Brohm, Louisville
4. Chad Henne, Michigan
5. JaMarcus Russell, LSU

Why haven't I seen Brennan's name mentioned before? Is this just a case of Kiper throwing out some names so he can say he mentioned it first or is Brennan really that good a talent? Could Brennan forego his final year of eligibility and declare for the 2007 draft?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's that kid from hawaii whos throwing for a million yards...ive watched a few highlights...his mechanics are terrible and his release is just plain ugly. but hey, whatever works i guess.
SanFran49ers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know much about Brennan but I have heard that he is a very good prospect. He's putting up huge numbers with Hawaii (but who doesnt?) averaging 375 yards passing per game with 43 TDs. I think he needs to put on some weight as he only weighs 190. Its very interesting that Kiper put him above guys like Brohm. Anyone got some more info on him?
Hiero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanFran49ers wrote:
I dont know much about Brennan but I have heard that he is a very good prospect. He's putting up huge numbers with Hawaii (but who doesnt?) averaging 375 yards passing per game with 43 TDs. I think he needs to put on some weight as he only weighs 190. Its very interesting that Kiper put him above guys like Brohm. Anyone got some more info on him?

this guy brennan guy seems like timmy chang part 2

Props to IDOG_det on the sig.
BoYz2tHeBoWl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe he has Brennan that high. I wonder how good of a prospect he thought Chang, Kingsbury, and all of the others were. Rolling Eyes

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Perhaps it's your assessment is the one that is a knock on your ability to assess a football game.
quietjets

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mel Kiper's Top 5 Seniors and Juniors by Position Reply with quote

azazaz7 wrote:
Since insider is free this week, I presume it's okay to post a link:

Link:Mel Kiper's Top 5 Seniors and Juniors by Position

One thing struck me about his list and that's the Junior QBs:
Quote:
Quarterbacks
1. Colt Brennan, Hawaii
2. John David Booty, USC
3. Brian Brohm, Louisville
4. Chad Henne, Michigan
5. JaMarcus Russell, LSU

Why haven't I seen Brennan's name mentioned before? Is this just a case of Kiper throwing out some names so he can say he mentioned it first or is Brennan really that good a talent? Could Brennan forego his final year of eligibility and declare for the 2007 draft?

I never am sold on Hawaii qb.. Hawaii just need a qb that can throw enough. OL has done well for Hawaii as usual... It would be stupid if he decides to forgo his senior for NFL because he is no better than Chang who took him forever to understand NFL.
steelcity43

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i though jamarcus would be ranked higher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoYz2tHeBoWl wrote:
I can't believe he has Brennan that high. I wonder how good of a prospect he thought Chang, Kingsbury, and all of the others were. Rolling Eyes

Fourth or fifth at best. I got to think this is just throwing his name out there, or maybe he was disappointed in Brohm lately and wanted to bump him down randomly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiper is an idiot...he just looks at stats.

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 307 rush yds(7.9), 595 rec yds(12.9), 5 TDs
Tyner: 387 rush yds(4.4), 65 rec yds(7.2), 4 TDs
Freeman: 945 rush yds(5.6), 103 rec yds(10.3), 14 TDs
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brennan was a CU Buff for a while, but was dismissed for disciplinary reasons - plead guilty to burglary and trespassing. He was banished to Saddleback college before June Jones rediscovered him. So does that give him a bit more credibility than the typical Hawaii QB? Also, if I had a nickel for every post I read last year that said "I can't believe Kiper has Alex Smith that high - what a joke!", I would be filthy rich.

Here's a nice article on Brennan: Brennan gets back up

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about ranking him higher than Brohm, but he is definately close. I jumped on the Colt Brennan bandwagon a few days ago after researching him more closely. I never really looked at him or took him seriously. I watched some game film and the kid is for real. Yes, his release isn't the "perfect" release, but when you look at the accuracy, velocity, and quickness he gets rid of the ball with, I would leave it as is. When he drops back in the pocket, his feet never stop moving, he has great footwork for a QB. His feet are quick and he can escape the pressure if need be. As soon as he is dropping back you can see him to begin progressing through his WRs. He is very good at finding the open WR and getting the ball to him quickly. He is fast enough to take off running and do some damage if the coverage is good. He isn't as quick as Troy Smith or anything... but, still has some good ability.

This isn't Kiper thowing his name out there. He has the skills. i don't go by stats at all, and i'd say that he is one of the better QBs in the NCAA right now. Probably Top 5. I have him as the 2nd best junior.

Now, you can say what you want, but I really think that he will be good. I caught the same kind of flack last year when I claimed that Cutler should be a top 15 pick in october.
FF Member #1000
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backwoodsboy65 wrote:
I watched some game film and the kid is for real. Yes, his release isn't the "perfect" release, but when you look at the accuracy, velocity, and quickness he gets rid of the ball with, I would leave it as is. When he drops back in the pocket, his feet never stop moving, he has great footwork for a QB. His feet are quick and he can escape the pressure if need be. As soon as he is dropping back you can see him to begin progressing through his WRs. He is very good at finding the open WR and getting the ball to him quickly. He is fast enough to take off running and do some damage if the coverage is good. He isn't as quick as Troy Smith or anything... but, still has some good ability.

Here's a four minute clip of highlights on YouTube.

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
BoYz2tHeBoWl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already knew about Brennan and Colorado titanrick and he has never impressed me. He makes a lot of sloppily thrown balls and he benefits greatly from the system he is in. He looks like the type of guy who would crumble against a defense like Michigan, LSU, OSU, etc.

Not saying he won't be a good prospect, but he hasn't done anything so far to warrant being rated that high.

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Perhaps it's your assessment is the one that is a knock on your ability to assess a football game.
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoYz2tHeBoWl wrote:
I already knew about Brennan and Colorado titanrick and he has never impressed me. He makes a lot of sloppily thrown balls and he benefits greatly from the system he is in. He looks like the type of guy who would crumble against a defense like Michigan, LSU, OSU, etc.

Not saying he won't be a good prospect, but he hasn't done anything so far to warrant being rated that high.

I can respect that opinion. It's when someone says "Who's he? What a joke!" that I just roll my eyes. Just because you haven't heard of a guy doesn't automatically make him a bozo. Do the research and bring an informed opinion!

ReadySetDraft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, he is an incredible find. Allow me to say good find Mel Kiper!

Colt has an unorthodox throwing style but he works the progression, never stops moving his feet and has a gun slingers arm.

After watching the game film on him i would say he is the 2nd QB taken in the 2008 seasons draft. Which would be after Brohm because i don't think he will declare this year. With Chad Henne next years draft would be loaded with QB's. Now i think Jamarcus Russell would serve himself best by coming out for this years draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: