Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

All Time Chargers Roster-Now With Back ups!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was a better Charger Kicker?
Rolf Bernischke
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
John Carney
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

superchargers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: All Time Chargers Roster-Now With Back ups! Reply with quote

As we approach the 2005 NFL Draft we should be looking for the best players possible for our franchize. We've had some great ones so....just for fun I put together an "all time" Chargers roster. If you don't know who some of the players are it will be a good history lesson for you. I strongly encourage all debate and discussion over roster spots. Enjoy!

Offense

QB: Dan Fouts, Stan Humphries
RB: Ladainian Tomlinson-Natrone Means/Chuck Muncie
FB: Lorenzo Neal, Hammering Hank Bauer
WR: Lance Alworth, Tony Martin
WR: Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson
WR: Wes Chandler, Curtis Conway
TE: Kellen Winslow, Antonio Gates
OT: Russ Washington, Terry Owens
OT: Ron Mix, Vaughn Parker
OG: Walt Sweeney, Dennis McKnight
OG:Doug Wilkerson, Sam Claphan
C: Don Macek, Courtney Hall

Defense

DT: Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, Rueben Davis
DT: Jamal Williams, Ernie Ladd
DE: Fred Dean, Marco Coleman
DE: Leslie O'Neal, Earl Faison
LB: Junior Seau, Frank Buncom
LB: Billy Ray Smith, Emil Karas
LB: Donnie Edwards, Chuck Allen
CB: Speedy Duncan, Quinton Jammer
CB: Darrien Gordon, Dwayne Harper
CB: Gill Byrd, Willie Buchanon
FS: Vencie Glenn, Chris Fletcher
SS: Rodney Harrison, Martin Bayless

Special Teams

K: Rolf Bernischke, John Carney
P: Darren Bennett, Mike Scifries
KR/PR: Eric Metcalf, Lionel James

Last edited by superchargers on Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:08 pm; edited 8 times in total
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know that much about all time chargers players being im only 15 but i would replace dan fouts with jonny unitas and Rolf Bernike with John Carney.
superchargers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny U. was definitely the man in his day, but he was pretty washed up by the time he got to the bolts. he only played one season for us (1973) and didn't impress many people. it was like joe montana with the chiefs but worse. fouts is the no brainer here.

i was definitely considering john carney though. he was mr. clutch for us. i thought it was a toss up. good point here.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny isn't a true charger Dan fouts is.
boltfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gill Byrd played CB, didnt he? I was pretty young when he was playing but I thought he played CB. If so, how about move him to CB, bump Duncan, and put Vencie Glenn at FS. I dont know too much about Duncan, so I could be wrong. Carney and Benirshke are a toss-up in my opinion. I also think Leslie O'neal should be on the team, instead of Deacon Jones, IMO Jones is thought of as a Ram. The Offense is a no-brainer, the defense is much harder.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I look forward to reading the different opinions.
superchargers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that’s a great suggestion bolt fan. I really don’t know much about Speedy Duncan either except that he was inducted into the Charger hall of fame back in ’95 and that he was an all-pro a couple of years. He was before my time too so I never really saw him play, but I figured if he’s in the Charger hall of fame and his nick name was “speedy” he must have been pretty good. Maybe we’ll keep him in our nickel package Very Happy .

Byrd was better know as a corner but played FS in his later years..I’d like to move him to DB and Put Vencie at FS. I’m ashamed to say that I forgot about Leslie O’Neal and he definitely deserves to be on the team. Deacon Jones only played for us in '72-'73. I'll go back and edit.

I’m stoked on the debate and that we have some fans that appreciate Charger history. Keep up the winning spirit Bolt fans. Next year’s going to be a good one.
jesseelder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One change that I would do is to replace Wes Chandler with John Jefferson. The reason being is that when he was with the Chargers, this guy was being talked about as a possible Hall of Famer in his years as a Chargers. His big mistake was holding out and being traded away.
boltfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesseelder wrote:
One change that I would do is to replace Wes Chandler with John Jefferson. The reason being is that when he was with the Chargers, this guy was being talked about as a possible Hall of Famer in his years as a Chargers. His big mistake was holding out and being traded away.

I loved JJ Jefferson as a youngster, I cried when i found out he wasnt going to play for my beloved Chargers, I planned on following him wherever he went, little did I know he would dissapear(as far as I knew, without a CPU) Along came Wes Chandler, at first I wanted nothing to do with him. He definitely won me over, as a young kid I thought he was J.J with another name. Their similarities are uncanny, this may have nothing to do with talent , but I will always remember these guys ending the play with their shirt untucked and their shoulder pads showing. That is what I can say about these 2 players, I loved both of them, and that is a hard choice to make. Joiner cant be bumped so maybe we eliminate Lorenzo Neal(as much as I like him) and go with a single back-3 WR offense, or what the hell add back-ups(ala pro bowl) and include Humphries, Muncie, and many more. Ill leave those decisions up to you superchargers!
superchargers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I got second strigers. There were some that probably should have been on it that weren't. Feel free to call me out. I did this when I was really tired and it took a while. I hope you guys enjoy!
130L.T.S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boltfan wrote:
I loved JJ Jefferson as a youngster, I cried when i found out he wasnt going to play for my beloved Chargers, I planned on following him wherever he went, little did I know he would dissapear(as far as I knew, without a CPU) Along came Wes Chandler, at first I wanted nothing to do with him. He definitely won me over, as a young kid I thought he was J.J with another name. Their similarities are uncanny, this may have nothing to do with talent , but I will always remember these guys ending the play with their shirt untucked and their shoulder pads showing. That is what I can say about these 2 players, I loved both of them

My sentiments exactly! I have been a Charger fan since '79 because of JJ an Fouts. I own only two Charger Jerseys, an 83 Jefferson and a 14 Fouts. I too couldn't stand Chandler when JJ left, but I was won over. Your comments were great and I'm just glad I'm not the only JJ lover out here.

Thanks for posting the team, it's great!
Playaj21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrien GOrdon and Q make the list but Willie Buchanon does not? WTF? I would take Willie over Speedy. What about Loiue Kelcher or Fred Dean? Marco Coleman? LOL!
jesseelder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After L.T. it should be Paul Lowe instead of Muncie or Means.
sd screenwriter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Fullback Reply with quote

Yeah, Lorenzo is a great fullback, but when talking Chargers, I have to throw in "Hammerin' Hank Bauer". What a crowd favorite and the best special teams tackler in Chargers history. He had Glacial speed, but somehow, on the return, he was always there to separate a speedy little return guy from his helmet (and sometimes his senses). With one hit, he could literally get the entire team and the crowd fired up!

I choose heart over skills any day...
superchargers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great input. I'll put Hank in there as a back up to Lorenzo. I think Lorenzo is better as a pure fullback and he plays with plenty of heart too, but you do have to respect Mr. Bauer's tenacity and his ability to just lay people out.
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one guy who i would definately add is woodrow lowe (hence the name lowe_51). he was a fixture at OLB on the chargers d for a long time, and one of the best coverage backers of his era.
as far as rb's go, i like paul lowe too, and i would also throw keith lincoln in above means or muncie.
and if darrien gordon makes this team it should only be as a punt returner, definately not as a corner...he was horrible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: