You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions Draft next year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Lions Draft next year Reply with quote

I have been browsing the 2007 mock drafts, and I can't put a finger on who the Lions should pick. I have seen anything from Drew Stanton as high as pick #4, to Brian Bohem, to Adrian Peterson, to Tedd Ginn. Also, seen Gaines Adams which makes sense if don't have a shot at Quinn.

I know a QB is needed at some point in the draft next year, but do you spend your first round on a QB? Why would you draft AP when you have Kevin Jones? You wouldn't draft another WR with a high first, would you?

Do you trade up to go after Quinn or do you trade down and accumulate more picks?
darkomilicic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions Draft next year Reply with quote

Jesse07 wrote:
I have been browsing the 2007 mock drafts, and I can't put a finger on who the Lions should pick. I have seen anything from Drew Stanton as high as pick #4, to Brian Bohem, to Adrian Peterson, to Tedd Ginn. Also, seen Gaines Adams which makes sense if don't have a shot at Quinn.

I know a QB is needed at some point in the draft next year, but do you spend your first round on a QB? Why would you draft AP when you have Kevin Jones? You wouldn't draft another WR with a high first, would you?

Do you trade up to go after Quinn or do you trade down and accumulate more picks?

A QB is needed in the draft, but probably not in the first round. Defensive help either in the secondary or at DE is prefered for our first round pick. If we can trade down that would be best, but if not, then either Landry or Adams would be the best picks for the first round. Then we can target a QB for the future in the 2nd or 3rd that we can sit for a year or two behind Kitna.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions Draft next year Reply with quote

darkomilicic wrote:
Jesse07 wrote:

A QB is needed in the draft, but probably not in the first round. Defensive help either in the secondary or at DE is prefered for our first round pick. If we can trade down that would be best, but if not, then either Landry or Adams would be the best picks for the first round. Then we can target a QB for the future in the 2nd or 3rd that we can sit for a year or two behind Kitna.

Landry would make absolutely no sense at all. we have Kennedy and Bullocks locked in for at least 3 more years on their deals.

AAL- Abdullah

Tigers suck. Thanks DD for never getting bull pen
nb5005

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see us drafting Ted Ginn just because of his playmaking skills and pure speed. Our KR/PR hasn't been very good this year either.
One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, if we go offense it's for the best offensive player in the draft. Calvin Johnson.
darkomilicic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions Draft next year Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
darkomilicic wrote:
Jesse07 wrote:

Landry would make absolutely no sense at all. we have Kennedy and Bullocks locked in for at least 3 more years on their deals.

I apologize. I didn't mean to say Landry, I was just reading some stuff on him and I guess I still had him on the brain. I meant to say Cason the CB from Arizona, or really I guess any of the top corners would be fine since they all appear to be about equal right now.
Kiper Jr. Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't want stanton or quinn in the first. brohm i would except only if his injury is 100%. give me cason, gaines adams, or calvin johnson any day

Many Thanks to miafins23, for graciously letting me use this sweet sig
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiper Jr. Jr. wrote:
i don't want stanton or quinn in the first. brohm i would except only if his injury is 100%. give me cason, gaines adams, or calvin johnson any day

I agree. I'm not big on Stanton or Quinn. I like Brohm the most out of the three, but I think he'll stay in school. I'd like to go defense (CB, LB, DL) or calvin johnson (possibly OL if the right guy is on the board).
LionsFan01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow another draft thread...but just to answer the question I'd like to see Detroit go after CJ or try and trade and grab some defensive help. With the way they're playing, it looks like they'll be in the top 5 but I don't see any defensive player right now worthy of a top 5 pick. I think Millen would hesitate to draft another QB so high and AP isn't someone the Lions need or would even have a place for really. The secondary seems to need the most help so someone like Hall, Cason, or Landry would be a good choice but LB would also be an option, depending on how the guys coming back from injury play the rest of the season. We just resigned Edwards and Hall has looked good the past few weeks so I would hold off on drafting an end. Maybe another DT to play alongside Rogers because Cody doesn't seem to be big enough to hold up in the middle.
m2karateman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to look at the big picture before answering this question. The thing to ask yourself is, what kind of players do these coaches need to succeed with their schemes, and what players don't the Lions have to make it work? Offensively, the answer is line help. Backus is here to stay for at least three more years, as is Raiola. Neither of them have really been the problem. Jonathon Scott may be the future at right tackle, but he could definitely be improved upon. Ross Verba hasn't had the opportunity to show us the difference he can make due to injuries, but I have a feeling once healthy he will give this unit a huge lift. Quite frankly, I think Damien Woody has been a bust as a free agent signing. Saying he has been a good offensive lineman is based on reputation, not his performance. Unless he gets in better shape and starts knocking people off the ball, I say get rid of him. Since guards aren't taken in the top half of a draft, the only other option is a tackle. Since we have other needs, I say go in a different direction.

Some are saying that we should consider a QB. I'm sorry, but I vehemently disagree. Has Kitna been the problem this season? On certain plays, yes. In the fourth quarter, sometimes. But certainly it is not he that is bringing the team down on his own. He has played pretty well, the offense has scored and they respond well to Jon. His poor fourth quarter play is an enigma, but I don't see that as enough reason for finding a replacement just yet. While some may feel we should take a QB to groom, we can do that in a later round, not with a top ten pick. If the Lions truly wanted to do that, this was their year to do it, and they passed on Leinart and Cutler. With how well Kitna's performed, I don't see them burning a top pick for a QB, and they shouldn't. All other positions are pretty well covered. Taking a wide out, like Calvin Johnson, is pure nonsense.

Defensively most of the problem has been that the players aren't doing what they are supposed to. Their is talent here, but they aren't following directions as well as they need to. The defensive line is supposed to shoot gaps and force the O-lineman to make mistakes. For the running game those actions are supposed to free up the linebackers to make plays. The problem is the Lions aren't getting the penetration, which allows the offensive linemen to block them one on one (except Shaun Rogers), which allows more options for the offense in the way of traps and pulls. Offensive coordinators won't try to trap or pull if the opposing defense is sitting in the backfield eating up their running backs. At that point they need to use quick hitting running plays, which then don't allow the linemen to get to the second level and take out the linebackers. Shaun Rogers can shoot the gaps due to pure size and strength. Shaun Cody has good quick hands, but lacks the initial quick first step and continued leg drive to make it complete. If the Lions keep Cory Redding next season, he may get moved inside on a permanent basis, since he has the speed to disrupt offensive blocking assignments. James Hall is definitely a keeper, as he knows his assignments and plays to them very well. However, Kalimba Edwards isn't strong at the point of attack, and he lacks the leg drive to get the right angles to the quarterback. He needs better pass rush moves as well, and he hasn't developed any since he's been here. His signing last season was a big mistake. The Lions can consider getting a good defensive end in the first round, but he better be the second coming of Julius Peppers if they pick top five.

From a linebacking standpoint, I think the Lions need to consider making a change. Bailey should be moved back to the outside, because he just doesn't make enough plays on the inside and has trouble disengaging. The Lions should consider moving Alex Lewis inside, or else they need to find a good middle linebacker with range to fit this defense. Taking Patrick Willis is out of the question with how high their pick will be, so they may need to look into rounds two or three to get their guy.

The really big needs for this team are in the secondary. Teams are now using quick drops and short passes to kill the Lions. The Cover 2 is supposed to address that by having the cornerbacks playing short zones and jamming the wide outs off of those quick routes. Dre Bly and Fernando Bryant don't have the strength to make that happen. While Bryant has shown a more aggressive approach this season than he has in the past, but the Lions still need a corner that can jam a receiver at the line. Bly has practically disappeared in this defensive scheme, and the Lions really need to consider trading him. While Daniel Bullocks is a good fit as a Cover 2 safety because of his speed, the Lions still need another fast receiver to make this defense work completely. Kenoy Kennedy lacks the coverage skills, as well as the ideal speed. Terrence Holt lacks the speed and has questionable instincts for the position. While I wouldn't suggest the Lions take a safety with their top pick in 2007, it's definitely a position in need of improvement.

List of needs:
1. Cover 2 Cornerback-physical playing style and good in run support. Capable zone coverage player who has good speed as well.

2. Defensive End-strong pass rusher who can hold his ground when needed to defend the run.

3. Offensive Lineman-ideally a guard with mobility, but a solid road grading right tackle may be a need as well.
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid post M2.

The infatuation with the Lions taking quinn to me is a mystery. As with Brohm, who most likely will not declare this year. The Lions need more playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. I would love for the Lions to take the CB from Cal... The name escapes me but he is a beast. Or CJ just because the lions may be picking that high.
LionsFan01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
Solid post M2.

The infatuation with the Lions taking quinn to me is a mystery. As with Brohm, who most likely will not declare this year. The Lions need more playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. I would love for the Lions to take the CB from Cal... The name escapes me but he is a beast. Or CJ just because the lions may be picking that high.

I think Daymeion Hughes is the guy you're thinking off. He would be a solid pick, especially because he has alot experiance on zone coverage already but like I've said before, I don't see any defensive player having enough value to warrant a top 5 pick, which is looking more and more likely every week.
nb5005

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Antoine Cason would be a very solid pick in the first round especially if we are picking in the 6 to 10 range. As of right now Daymeion Hughes is either a late 1st or early 2nd but as everyone know Cornerbacks stock can really increase with a great Combine.
Kiper Jr. Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post m2. i agree with most of your points. one however i strongly disagree with. i think that taking Calvin Johnson would be a great pick. he is one of the most talented players in the nation and i think will be AMAZING in the NFL. Our recieving core is below average with our only dependable reciever being roy williams. mike furrey is great but i don't see him having the same production next season. I definately don't see mike williams being back with the lions next season and is very likely to be traded. so that leaves us with

#1- Roy Williams
#2 Mike Furrey
#3- Az hakim/Vines/Ellis

TE- Pollard/Fitzsimons

this is just unacceptable. roy will draw double coverage 9/10 times and it will be difficult for him to have as much success. our TE's are not very good and don't contribute that much. this is where Calvin Johnson comes in. he would boost our recieving core and would take much attention away from Roy. add a reciever like kevin curtis and a TE like Eric Johnson in free agency and our offense would be great. it could line up like this

#1-Roy
#2-Calvin Johnson
#3- Kevin Curtis
#4- Mike Furrey
TE-Eric Johnson/Fitssimmons

i agree that our oline needs to be improved aswell as our linebackers and secondary, but if Calvin Johnson is available when we pick, i would strongly consider him.

Many Thanks to miafins23, for graciously letting me use this sweet sig
Go Lions???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting Calvin Johnson would be bitter sweet IMO. Sweet because our offense would be amaizing, but more bitter because CJ cant play Oline or Deffense, and those are CLEARLY the lions two biggest needs.

I agree with just about everything M2 said. and i disagree with a lot of the previous posts that said the needs wouldnt be worth our pick so we should take CJ. since Calvin is such an amaizing prospect do you think the lions arent gonna get a cant miss trade down deal??? (like the browns a couple years ago)

If some team was willing to give up a second rounder imagine this situation.
First round- Gaines Adams- the lions NEED a pass rushing DE period. Hall is very good but Redding/Kalimba are pretty bad.
Second round- Daymeion Hughs- perfect for the cover 2, hopefully he's avialable here. I think he might, because the lions will be picking at the top of the second, and this CB class has a lot of talent at the top so Hughs will likely fall.
Second (from trade down)- Eric Weddle- very good safety-great character guy.
Third- Aaron Sears or Ben Grubbs- two very good Olinemen that can play Guard.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: