Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

mock drafts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: mock drafts Reply with quote

why do all the mocks always have the Bengals picking defense just to "shore up the defense"? Marvin has always said that he picks the best player available but the mocks are all about best D-lineman available.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Bengals gave up nearly 150 yards per game rushing last season, thats why. The more and more I hear and see about Johnson though, I don't like him. I think Channing Crowder would be a better pickup to play ILB or Heath Miller at TE, Thomas Davis at SS, or possibly even Mark Clayton at WR if we cut PDub.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Sportboy86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Troy Williamson or Roddy White would be a better pickup than Clayton. Cincinnati needs someone that can really stretch the field besides CJ.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as Cleveland fans hate the fact that alot of mocks have them taking a QB, I feel the same way about the Bengals and DT. Askew would have been a 1st or 2nd this year had he stayed at MSU. Johnson has character issues and a history of not playing balls out every play which is something I don't think Marvin would tolerate. I love Miller and Davis and if the opportunity came up I would move up 5 or 6 slots to get Davis or move down 4 or 5 to pick up Miller. Also, I think we wait a year to look at drafting a ILB in the first. This year is pretty weak for top tier LBs.

"I don't play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing." -ERIC CANTONA
Cantstop85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade peter warrick move down get SS Thomas Davis. Peter says he wont play behind T.J or else hes not playing.
Sportboy86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Thomas Davis even be available at 17?
I heard somewhere that he made up for his bad 40 at the combine in his individual wokouts.
Cincinnati Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to trade Warrick but it would be tough to find a team that would give us a good deal. He's got no value and especially if this shin thing is degenerative arthritis. T. Davis will not be there at 17. but Heath Miller will be there if we move down to the mid 20s.

"I don't play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing." -ERIC CANTONA
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even bother trying to trade Warrick, cut him.

As for the draft, take T. Davis if he is still there at 17, and if he is gone take Channing Crowder and cut Nate Webster, and start to groom Landon Johnson as the replacement for Kevin Hardy (or somehow get AJ Hawk next year to replace Hardy)

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Cantstop85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is with you and cutting players you dont just cut them.Warrick could easily be traded and you want to cut webster when this is the guy that was leading the team in almost everything on Defense b4 he got hurt.
Cincinnati Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, who or what pick could Warrick be traded for? Second, Webster was starting to play better before he got hurt and if the guy cannot get healthy, which is likely, then you have to look elsewhere. You shouldn't keep a guy for what he did before he got hurt, you should keep him for what he can do in the future.

skopi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in PDub's career, he has no trade value. He's in the last year of his contract and was unable to do anything last year. To me that says no trade value. Besides, he denied ever saying that he ever said he wouldn't play behind TJ.

As for Thomas Davis, there are several mock drafts putting him after 17. Ourlads has him at 18, Kiper at 28, Scouts Inc at 24, Fox Sports/Sporting News outside the first round (which is crazy). Hence, you never know.

This is going to be a crazy draft because it appears to be flat. That is to say, someone picked at 25-30 is not much of a dropoff from someone at 15.

I am hopeful it will not be Travis because Marvin wants good citizens in addition to good football players. If they stay at 17 (I hope they move back 10 slots) then I bet it will be more of a pass rushing End to pair with Justin Smith this year and take over for him when his contract runs out...

sko
Sportboy86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skopi wrote:
I am hopeful it will not be Travis because Marvin wants good citizens in addition to good football players.

You shouldn't need to be hopeful about not getting Travis because of the second half of your statement. I don't want to run the risk of sounding like the others on this site ("<My Team> will never draft <Player> because <Same reasons we've heard 100 times before>!!!"), but I'll say this anyway.

The Bengals won't draft Travis Johnson. They've got more pressing needs elsewhere (Safety, Tight End, Pass Rusher, and even Kick Returner), don't pick up players with his character and track record, and really have no need for a 5th DT--Thornton, Robinson, Moore, Askew. Heck, Powell can play DT also. So they REALLY don't need to have a 6th guy that can play DT.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skopi, completely agree about P-Dub. No one would eat that $2 mil, at least not for anything worthwhile.

Also, I have officially abandoned a defensive player in the first round. Move down 4-5 slots, pick up Heath Miller. I only say this because in our division, dealing with Pitt's and Balt.'s secondaries, a pass catching TE will be more important than ever before. Also, package a 4th or 5th from next year with this year's 2nd to move up in the 2nd round, and then pick a player for the D. Shazor, Roth, Ware, etc.

skopi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the Bengals will consider Heath Miller after he had his hernia? I just wonder if they would fear getting burned 2 years in a row with a herniated first rounder...

Sportboy - Powell is not currently signed so you have 4 currently in the middle of dline.

I will admit it would be nice to get a TE which can play all downs rather than the rotation we currently have. Actually, that could free up a position as you may only need to carry 2 TEs. (with a 3rd one on developmental squad).

I think a pass rusher is their highest priority. It seems that CBs are way overvalued these days considering they cannot be physical and so you want a natural pass rush to force the QB to make hurried decisions and a secondary that can capitalize on those rushed throws.

sko
Cincinnati Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read that late yesterday that Miller has one of those sports hernias. Asked my bro in law doc about them and he says that some people are predesposed to having them because of a weak abdominal wall. I hope that is not the case for Perry. As for Miller, that article made me rethink the pick but if he could recover for camp, I would still love a pass catching TE (he needs work on the 'ol blocking).

Also, its what I've been thinking that instead of going after the DT position, draft another DE in the second or later (Ware Roth and Gause come to mind). I only say not the first because there are too many questions with Pollack (size), E James (health) and Tuck (overrated). I guess that if we could move up for Spears or he fell to us at 17, take him but only because of the hernia news about H Miller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: