You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

'Skins & 49ers swap #1's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: 'Skins & 49ers swap #1's? Reply with quote

Would the Redskins be interested in trading up to get the #1 spot? The only reason I could see this is if the Skins have Braylon Edwards at the top of their board.

I saw that Washington already traded their 2nd to N.O., so a trade down might have to include picks from next year???

Braylon, or Mike W. would help stretch the field, opening up running lanes so Portis could improve on last season.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us trading up at all, much less to #1. I think we're going to stick with the #9 or trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder.

You're right about us needing a WR though.

I read a rumor this morning that the 49ers might trade the #1 for Phillip Rivers. I don't think it's true though.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams isn't for stretching the field, we have moss and patten for that, williams is a possesion reciever for the red zone and for yards after the catch.
redskins4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, we need the big guys in the redzone and possibly block for Portis on a sweep or reverse. I want to see some creative Gibbs football this season.
samuariskins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Trade for the overall #1? Reply with quote

Are you insane?! This is not, should not and will not be an option! Lets prove that we can earn the title of being the dumbest team in the NFL! How much will the propose trade cost us? Two #1s and either a 2nd & 3rd or players or something in between or a combination of both? We've done some dumb things in the past (Brunell, Sanders, Carrier, Smith, Wilkerson, etc) Should we continue?
redskins4life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, calm down, my fellow Skins fan. I believe we all agree not to give up too much for MW or BE. Riggensghost is correct about us lacking redzone receivers. Definitely, a pick at #9 if one or the other is available. Otherwise, we better forget about a WR and start leaning toward other talented defensive players. Right now DJ seems to be the most talented defensive player, but I doubt he would be there at 9th. I see us trading down, baby!
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make sense, the Skins don't need the #1 pick to get the guys they want and need in the draft.... they don't need a RB or QB badly enough to even move up into the top 5.. At #9 they should have their pick of either Mike Williams, Shawne Merriman, Heath Miller or one of the 3 corners who haven't been picked yet. Any of those selections would be great so why more up the only thing I'd do in this draft is possibly move down..
avbanig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point 4 life i saw where someone pointed out one time the widerecievers who have been picked in the top 10 of all time....and guess what most of them have been just mediocre players or busts....and guess what we hold 2 of them Michael Westbrook and Desmond Howard...so maybe we shouldn't take a WR and should take Antrell Rolle or Shawne Merriman...
TrueRedskin05

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really dont think these 2 receivers will be busts lol i hope we get williams but if we dont and if we dont get edwards or rolle i think we trade with the cowboys or chargers or some1 pick up a 2nd or 3rd draft merriman what you think since we didnt get brown cuz he singed with denver
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeha but how many people thought Westbrook and Howard were going to be busts, when we got them everyone in teh league was envying us and we thought they'd both still be playing for us and putting up 1000 yds receiveing every year....

I just don't want to take that chance again on a WR, we already have a descent courp of WR's McCants can be used in the Red Zone he was 2 years ago and flourished in that role and the big man in the Redzone...

There is always so much pressure on a WR picked in the top ten to be great, just ask Plaxico Buress, David Terell, Carlos Rogers, JJ Stokes. It just isnt' worth it.
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we take Merriman at #9 because the chargers or cowboys would trade with us in order to get him at #9. Well at least that's what I'm afraid of because they both want him.. So I say we stay put and get Merriman at #9 if he's still there he'll be the best value pick and have the most upside all in one.

I really think he can be almost as dominant as Julius Peppers from that DE spot. Maybe not quite as good but he can be close.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avbanig wrote:
I think we take Merriman at #9 because the chargers or cowboys would trade with us in order to get him at #9. Well at least that's what I'm afraid of because they both want him..

I'm curious how you know that they want him? The reason I ask is simply because, before the draft, about 50% of what every team says is a lie to throw off other teams.

BTW, I made up that 50% number, it's probably higher.
avbanig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they want him or not....I know I want him!

Snyder Gibbsy and Cerrato and the boys...who ever knows what's going to come out of the "braintrust"

they will probably take like an offensive tackle or something...you know someone who won't contribute at all...

I'm jsut saying Merriman is what they need, and what I think would be the best pick, and can make a big impact for them as a rookie!
riggensghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere isn't a true number one pick in this draft anyway, the only scenario that makes a lot of sense that I have seen is where SanFran trades the top pick to SanDiego for Phillip Rivers with the Chargers keeping and signing Brees to a long term deal.

For us, there is no sense in trading up. Wihout signing Brown we have three Major holes to fill with a 1st and a third. We need a CB, DE, WR, smaller needs is MLB, TE and depth needs are DT, OT, QB.

If we could sign Dyson it would offer us a litle more flexibility in the draft. I like the idea of grabbing Merriman and I love the idea of getting McPhereson QB in the third/fourth to compete for a job in the line up, kids got a medium range cannon for an arm and is low b/c of gambling problems earlier in college.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riggensghost wrote:
THere isn't a true number one pick in this draft anyway, the only scenario that makes a lot of sense that I have seen is where SanFran trades the top pick to SanDiego for Phillip Rivers with the Chargers keeping and signing Brees to a long term deal.

I've read that rumor too, but don't believe it. Wouldn't the Chargers take an enormous cap hit?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: