You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HiFi's Hype: Grunge!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: HiFi's Hype: Grunge! Reply with quote

Welcome to HiFi's Hype! The place for a different look at the NFL.

____________________________________________________________________________________

SEAHAWKS TRIVIA: The Seahawks traded their first round pick in 1977 to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a first and 3 second round draft picks. Who did Dallas select with the pick obtained from Seattle?
____________________________________________________________________________________

The Hype gets VD! Special thanks to guest host vike daddy for doing a majority of the work on this one.

Seattle joined the NFL as an AFC team first in 1976, with ownership of the team coming from a consortium of Seattle business leaders. Their name was chosen from a public contest as were the team colors, based on native tribal art of the region. Joining the league as an expansion team with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, their first years as expected, were forgettable.

It wasn't long before wide receiver Steve Largent and quarterback Jim Zorn were making headlines though, and in their third year they had a winning season of 9-7. They set a dubious record the next year for least offensive yards in a game (minus 7!) in a 24-0 loss to the Los Angeles Rams at the Kingdome.

Players came and went, coaches such as Tom Flores and Chuck Knox had their moments, but it was the arrival of Mike Holmgren in 1999 that brought the Hawks sellout games and an earned reputation as a serious team.

Nightlife and culture:

Aaaah, Seattle....the crown city of the American Pacific Northwest. Known for its architecture, cuisine, ethnicity, and high tech modern businesses. Their citizenry boast a strong professional work ethic, fueled no doubt by two Starbuck's Coffee shops at every corner, yet a relaxed recreational and casual lifestyle.

With a stunning downtown built on a steep hill dropping down to the expansive piers of Pugent Sound, Seattle is also a major Pacific shipping and transportation port, constantly harboring vessels from every world continent.

Do you like music? Seattle was the birthplace of grunge music inspired by hardcore punk, heavy metal, and indie rock and it was one of the earliest styles that distinguished the popular music of the 1990s from that of the 1980s.

Paul Allen, co-founder of MicroSoft with Bill Gates, has funded almost the entire $240 million Experience Music Project (EMP), with the exception of a few donated items. The high tech museum contains mostly rock memorabilia and technology-intensive multimedia displays, probably a reflection of Allen's tastes, particularly his love of Seattle native, Jimi Hendrix's music.

So, speaking of music, how about a look at HiFi's personal top ten grunge albums!

HiFi's Top Ten Grunge Albums:

10. Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
9. Alice in Chains - Facelift
8. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
7. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
6. Pearl Jam - Vs.
5. Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
4. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
3. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. Soundgarden - Superunknown
1. Pearl Jam - Ten

Happy listening!

Places and Faces

Places of Seattle:

*Space Needle, Seattle*
Climb 520 feet to the observation deck of Seattle's signature building, which is actually 605 feet tall, for spectacular views of the city and its surrounding area. For food and fantastic sights check out SkyCity, the tower's rotating restaurant that makes one complete orbit per hour.

*Pike Place Market, Seattle*
This open-air shopping haven is a must-see for first time and return visitors alike. Be prepared for large crowds on the weekends and during the holidays, and don't neglect to rub the bronze pig for good luck at the entrance.

Faces of Seattle:

From the screen - Bing Crosby

From the field - Fred Couples

From the iPod - Jimi Hendrix

Are you experienced?
__________________________________________________________________________________

HYPE HYSTERIA

Established as a logging community in 1851, early Seattle residents endured frequent conflicts with the local Native American population who were frustrated by the treaties pushed upon them by Washington Territory Governor Isaac Stevens. These frustrations culminated with an attack on the settlement by indigenous people on January 26, 1856.

Reportedly, the settlers were warned of the pending attack by Chief Seattle, the leader of the local Duwamish and Suquamish tribes and, over the course of a day-long pitched battle, were able to defend their settlement and ward off the attack. Following the conclusion of the tensions, the greatful settlers paid tribute to him by naming region's central community in his honor.

Song for the Season: Pick one from above.

This is the grunge edition, so why not rock out to several tasty selections?

TRIVIA ANSWER: Tony Dorsett

Did You Know?
Seattle was the first city in the US to play a Beatles song on the radio.
immuhguy10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah the tony dorsett chance.

yes it was a great opportunity for the seahawks to build up on young talent (since this was our only 2nd year in the league), BUT they had the chance to get a franchise HOF back in dorsett lol. ah well...

anyways, this is good stuff hifi and VD. thanks...

Props to Kempes on the sig.
azazaz7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: HiFi's Hype: Grunge! Reply with quote

Excellent work once again HiFi. Only one problem from the below list -- Ritual De Lo Habitual and Siamese Dream aren't number 1 and 2! I'll fix it for you:
HiFi wrote:
So, speaking of music, how about a look at HiFi's personal top ten grunge albums!

HiFi's Top Ten Grunge Albums:

10. Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
9. Alice in Chains - Facelift
8. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
7. Pearl Jam - Vs.
6. Stone Temple Pilots - Core
5. Nirvana - Nevermind
4. Soundgarden - Superunknown
3. Pearl Jam - Ten
2. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
1. Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual

Wink

I never knew that the Seahaws had a shot at Tony Dorsett and passed. Any idea who they took with the four Cowboys picks?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i was wondering that too...ill do some research...i have no clue

seahawks magic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot all about Dallas getting the pick for Dorsett from Seattle.
immuhguy10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st round
Steve August, G, Tulsa
2nd round
tom lynch, T, BC (with our pick)
Terry Beeson, LB, Kansas
Peter Cronan, LB, BC

i didnt see a 3rd 2nd round pick from dallas but whatever...still not the best trade lol

azazaz7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immuhguy10 wrote:
1st round
Steve August, G, Tulsa
2nd round
tom lynch, T, BC (with our pick)
Terry Beeson, LB, Kansas
Peter Cronan, LB, BC

i didnt see a 3rd 2nd round pick from dallas but whatever...still not the best trade lol

Did the Seahawks have a talented young RB at the time because it seems crazy to have passed on Dorsett. Hindsight is 20:20 but surely somebody should have called a halt to such a deal! I suppose it did make sense on one level to stockpile picks while they were building a franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Hawks spent their first year as an NFC team with Tampa Bay an AFC team and the next year switched for the duration, but I'm being petty. Shocked

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ the Basketcase guy appears to know his league alignment status:

The franchise began play in 1976 in the NFC West division but switched conferences with the Buccaneers after one season and joined the AFC West. This realignment was dictated by the league as part of the 1976 expansion plan, so that both expansion teams could play each other twice and every other NFL franchise once during their first two seasons.

In 2002, the Seahawks were returned to the NFC West as part of an NFL realignment plan that gave each conference four balanced divisions of four teams each. This realignment restored the AFC West to its initial post-merger roster of original AFL teams Denver, San Diego, Kansas City and Oakland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Seahawks

Everson Griffen: ďWe can be special. But itís up to us.Ē
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love how arguably the two best RBís Dallas has ever had have come because of trades. As soon as I read the question I knew the answer. Ah, the good old days.

Hifi, job well done. I swear I am starting to wonder if your kids (by this I mean students) ever get any of your attention with the amount of work you put into this site. Job well done. Yet again, I am left wanting to read more of your postís.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HiFi's Hype: Grunge! Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Glad you're enjoying it. I always enjoy seeing feedback, especially positive feedback.

vike daddy really did most of the work this time around. He was a life-saver.

I created the list, formatted, and got things organized, but the actual writing and ideas came from the staff.

azazaz7 wrote:
Excellent work once again HiFi. Only one problem from the below list -- Ritual De Lo Habitual and Siamese Dream aren't number 1 and 2! I'll fix it for you:

I honestly thought of you as I made the list. I expected that type of response, and trust me, a lot of those albums can be higher or lower. They're all great.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: