You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sure am glad we passed on Leinert...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osiris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Sure am glad we passed on Leinert... Reply with quote

for Ernie Sims. Wow, we're a much better team now that we have Ernie Sims. Besides, we really didn't need a quarterback anyway. We have John Kitna!!! Could have made an attempt to sign Drew Brees, but why? We have John Kitna!!! And Josh McCown!!!
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sure am glad we passed on Leinert... Reply with quote

osiris wrote:
for Ernie Sims. Wow, we're a much better team now that we have Ernie Sims. Besides, we really didn't need a quarterback anyway. We have John Kitna!!! Could have made an attempt to sign Drew Brees, but why? We have John Kitna!!! And Josh McCown!!!

Dude, do you honestly believe that Leinart would make ANY difference? Leinart would struggle in Detroit.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
thenick_1999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sure am glad we passed on Leinert... Reply with quote

osiris wrote:

Well I can tell you dont watch the Lions at all.
osiris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sure am glad we passed on Leinert... Reply with quote

thenick_1999 wrote:
osiris wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Which 1-5 team have you been watching?

This year the Lions have the 4th worst scoring defense and 6th worst total defense. Last year they had the 12th worst scoring defense and 13th worst total defense. Clearly they've gotten worse. Ernie Sims clearly hasn't made that big of an impact.

In terms of my criticism of Kitna, he is #22 in terms of passer rating. He has 6 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. Obviously not fantastic and obviously an area the Lions need improvement in.

These are the things I see when I watch and follow the Lions. If you're going to make a statement like you did, back it up. Seriously, what is it that you're seeing that I'm not?
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sure am glad we passed on Leinert... Reply with quote

osiris wrote:
thenick_1999 wrote:
osiris wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Which 1-5 team have you been watching?

This year the Lions have the 4th worst scoring defense and 6th worst total defense. Last year they had the 12th worst scoring defense and 13th worst total defense. Clearly they've gotten worse. Ernie Sims clearly hasn't made that big of an impact.

In terms of my criticism of Kitna, he is #22 in terms of passer rating. He has 6 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. Obviously not fantastic and obviously an area the Lions need improvement in.

These are the things I see when I watch and follow the Lions. If you're going to make a statement like you did, back it up. Seriously, what is it that you're seeing that I'm not?

And you honestly think Leinart would have made a difference in any of these games?

thenick_1999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions should never draft a qb in the first round ever againg. The fans will just rip them down for playing average when they have no recievers and a horrible team, just look at Joey. Ernie Sims looks like he is going to be a great LB for years to come. Plus Kitna has been playing good since the first game of the season. He is in the top 5 (I think) he yards and he has got picked off a few times because of tipped balls. Leinart would have failed in Detroit just like Joey and just like any other lions qb. You mine as well just pick up Qbs off fa if your the lions so the fans hopes are not too high for him and he can actually play. No quarteback would have been able to make it throuh what Joey went through and still be here. The lions had their qb and they let him walk.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenick_1999 wrote:
The Lions should never draft a qb in the first round ever againg. The fans will just rip them down for playing average when they have no recievers and a horrible team, just look at Joey. Ernie Sims looks like he is going to be a great LB for years to come. Plus Kitna has been playing good since the first game of the season. He is in the top 5 (I think) he yards and he has got picked off a few times because of tipped balls. Leinart would have failed in Detroit just like Joey and just like any other lions qb. You mine as well just pick up Qbs off fa if your the lions so the fans hopes are not too high for him and he can actually play. No quarteback would have been able to make it throuh what Joey went through and still be here. The lions had their qb and they let him walk.

Now hold on, that's just as silly as the previous statement. You can't NOT draft a position, because you had a bust at that position. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find a LB bust, does that mean you shouldn't have drafted Ernie Sims?

Each player should be judged on his merits, not passed on because he happens to play the same position as Joey Harrington, or he happened to go to the same school as someone who struggled.

X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie Sims leads the team in tackes with 49, and Bullocks is second with 35. Bailey is 3rd with 29. Sims is making a big impact on defense. You can't say that he was a bad pick.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
Ernie Sims leads the team in tackes with 49, and Bullocks is second with 35. Bailey is 3rd with 29. Sims is making a big impact on defense. You can't say that he was a bad pick.

No, no, no. I'm not saying Sims was a bad pick. Believe me, I understand how well Sims is playing. As hard as it is for me to admit this, he probably is outplaying Hawk at this point in their careers.

I was responding to the previous post where someone said Detroit should never draft a QB again because of how Harrington tunred out. I was refuting that by saying if you looked hard enough, I'm sure you could find a Lions' LB who busted, but that has had no baring on Sims.

qball8001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE should have taken Matt Lienart if we followed Millens draft strategy... but then again... hindsight is 20/20.

Detroit is not ready for another first round qb.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

No, no, no. I'm not saying Sims was a bad pick. Believe me, I understand how well Sims is playing. As hard as it is for me to admit this, he probably is outplaying Hawk at this point in their careers.

I was responding to the previous post where someone said Detroit should never draft a QB again because of how Harrington tunred out. I was refuting that by saying if you looked hard enough, I'm sure you could find a Lions' LB who busted, but that has had no baring on Sims.

It wasn't directed at you or anything, I was just saying that we can't call Sims a bad pick when he's been the best player on our defense in comparison to the way Leinart is playing in Arizona.
One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sims has the most tackles out of all the rookies in the league. IMO he will win the DROY if he keeps playing at the intensity he is playing now. Sims is only 11 tackles behind the league leader in tackles, he is definitly making an impact. The rest of the defense is just lacking. He is in on every play.
One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

He wasn't saying the that we shouldn't draft a QB because of how Harrington turned out. He is saying that the fans of the Lions ridicule QB's and make them break. That is why Joey left. He thinks if we draft another First Round Quarterback that the fans will just get on him too if he doesn't play well and it will ruin his career in Detroit.
osiris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
thenick_1999 wrote:

Now hold on, that's just as silly as the previous statement. You can't NOT draft a position, because you had a bust at that position. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find a LB bust, does that mean you shouldn't have drafted Ernie Sims?

Each player should be judged on his merits, not passed on because he happens to play the same position as Joey Harrington, or he happened to go to the same school as someone who struggled.

I agree. Not drafting another quarterback just because Harrington was a bust is ridiculous. That's just the nature of the draft. Sometimes guys work out, sometimes they don't. What happened in the past is unimportant. What is important is what you need for the future, and they still need a quarterback. Its not like Orlovsky has proven anything.

In response to whether Leinert would have made a difference this year, probably not. Most quarterbacks don't in their first year. Which makes this the ideal time to draft a quarterback for the future. Its not like the Lions appear to be headed to the playoffs any time soon. You draft a guy and let him develop a couple years while your mediocre starter plugs the spot in the mean time.

Sims leading the team in tackles, thats nice. But the defense isn't any better. The Lions also had more pressing needs at a number of positions that would have certainly helped more this year than OLB.

In a few years Leinert will probably be a borderline Pro Bowl QB. If Sims ends up being a borderline Pro Bowl linebacker, you'd still have to say Leinert would have been the better pick because a QB has a bigger impact on the game and the Lions had a far bigger need at the position.

Picking up Kitna and McCown instead of Drew Brees, I think, was a dumb decision also. Brees has actually been to the Pro Bowl. I can't remember the last Lions QB (other than the one good year Scott Mitchell had) that ever came close to having a whiff of the Pro Bowl. Kitna is a known commodity. Known as a very mediocre QB. McCown at least had some upside, but obviously has not worked out. Take the guy that's a known commodity for actually being good.
qball8001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Osris. But, to take Lienart would have been a luxery the Lions could ill afford. But, if he turns out to be the next great thing, oh well. We had our shot at him and passed for someone we thought could help right away. Lienart falling to 10 is a crime imo.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: