Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Angelo speaks on QB situation...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purdueman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Angelo speaks on QB situation... Reply with quote

If you read today's Chicago papers, in essence what Angelo said is that the Bears will make no more quarterback moves until after the NFL draft and if they bring in another veteran quarterback it will be with the intent of taking them through camp and then cutting them, in essence having them available in the event we need another "emergency quarterback".

Reading between the lines as well as the tea leaves, I think that this means: 1) The Bears may just grab another quarterback in round 2 or later (the former probably predicated on trading down to replace the 3rd round pick previously traded away to Miami); and 2) Angelo (thankfully), isn't at all sold on Jeff Blake or any of the many remaining late 30's to early 40's washed up available veteran qb's currently on the market.

Bottom line? If we draft another quarterback, Angelo's done. If not, look for Jeff George to be invited back (as I seriously doubt anyone else will take a flyer on him).
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at some mocks and one had Smith going #1 and us taking Rodgers. The rationale said something like, "Smith and Angelo are not yet sold on Grossman," or, "Grossman has to put up or shut up," or something of the like.
delakev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Angelo's comments more of "we screwed up last year by not signing a veteran, but we have Hutch now so that problem has been answered." I see his statements more of a refusal to admit a mistake last year, and an acknowledgement of that he doesn't think he is making the identical mistake this year, not us being interested in a first day QB. Besides he is addressing the fact of a need for a veteran QB, not drafting another.

Thanks so much Scar!!
Pdogg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wished we would have kept Jeff George around. I think he has matyred as a person and would make a great back up. I still don't understand why we released him without having a replacement in place?
purdueman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pdogg"]I really wished we would have kept Jeff George around. I think he has matyred as a person and would make a great back up. I still don't understand why we released him without having a replacement in place?[/quote]
There's no need to pay George for doing absolutely nothing. If the Bears need him, just as they pulled Hutch off a surfboard George will be there waiting by the phone to take Angelo's call because no other team has any interest.

I agree with Angelo having egg all over his face from last years total flop of signing Johathon Quinn (not coincidentally enough now out of football), but my gut tells me that the Bears are going to surprise a lot of people by taking another qb with their 2nd round draft pick. Watch and see, particularly if they are successful trading down out of the #4 overall spot and replacing the 3rd rounder they've lost to Miami.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: