You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

End is near for Millen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: End is near for Millen Reply with quote

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PFT wrote:
There's increasing talk in league circles that the Lions will be firing CEO Matt Millen sooner rather than later.

Although Millen apparently has a Waylon Smithers-type hold on 80-something owner William Clay Ford, word is that owner-in-waiting Bill Ford Jr. has turned in his official Matt Millen fan club secret draft bust decoder ring, and that the younger Ford's departure as CEO from the quaint little motor carriage company that bears the family name will give him greater influence over the football team that the Fords gradually have driven into the ground over the years.

The most intriguing aspect of Millen's seemingly inevitable fate is that the guy signed a contract extension that became effective at the end of the 2005 season. As Millen came under heavy fire last year, there were conflicting reports as to whether the extension is guaranteed. At the end of the day, the real story seemed to be that the money is guaranteed, but that Millen wouldn't accept it if he's fired.

Here's hoping that he's reminded of those words when the Turk makes his long overdue visit to Millen's office. The guy already has gotten far more money than he deserves, and it's time for him to go back to the television booth, where he can spend the garbage time of games explaining the bases for the worst string of personnel moves we can ever remember.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah maybe with a loss he'll be gone
LionsRoar17

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it actually happens....Then we can celebrate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, his firing will represent the greatest day in the past 50 years of Lions football.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who wanna see the NFC North become a division of dominance, I hope this happens. Wouldn't it be great if 4 years in a row we saw the Bears, Vikings, Packers and Lions all win a SB? Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
LionsChamps20??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I thought this site was a good enogh source. I not going to do an incredible amount of research on Jared Gaither, i have a life. Well...sort of.
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsChamps20?? wrote:
Sorry. I thought this site was a good enogh source. I not going to do an incredible amount of research on Jared Gaither, i have a life. Well...sort of.

Wrong thread. Try the one where you said he was a top 5 pick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem to me in firing Millen is who would replace him? I'm not a huge fan of Millen but I dont hate him. The only draft pick I 100 % disagree with was the BMW pick, we should have taking Shaun Marriman, or even Demarcus Ware.

I also hated the re-signing of Kalimba. He should have let Kalimba get some offers, I'm sure no one would have offerd the contract we offerd. And he was a RFA which means we could have matched any other offer, by any other team, or even have gotten compensation if we had let him sign with a team.

Other than that he is ok... I can't blame him for hiring Marriucci, and Can't blame him or drafting Charles Rogers. Mariucci was the best coach out there at the time, and Rogers was the best player in that draft, and WR was a huge need for us.
qball8001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millen has not hit gold with any pick other then his second rounders and Roy... he needs to go.
osiris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
Sadly, his firing will represent the greatest day in the past 50 years of Lions football.

LOL. Very true though.

Millen has been here for far too long. He is responsible for the success of the whole organization in general. Yes, we can forgive someone for making a few bad moves. Everyone makes a few bad moves now and then. Joe Dumars drafted Darko, and I think Joe is the best GM in the NBA.

Millen has had a few good moves. Sean Rogers. Kevin Jones wasn't bad. Roy Williams. Signing Dre Bly wasn't bad. But overall, the results have been horrible.

The offensive line still stinks. The receivers (other than Roy) aren't that good. The quarterback situation still isn't very good. RB is okay. Big Baby is a stud, and James Hall isn't bad, but the pass rush is still weak. The linebackers still aren't very good. In spite of all the draft picks and free agent signings, the Lions still lack depth at cornerback. The safeties aren't very good either. They continuously give up big plays. The head coaching position has been a revolving door. And, the most important thing of all, the record is atrocious.

There is absolutely no logical reason why Millen should stay. Hopefully Billy Ford will exhibit less patience than his dad with the Lions poor performances. We need someone in there more like Jerry Jones, George Steinbrenner, or Mark Cuban who refuses to accept mediocrity, and will make expedient moves when it becomes clear that things aren't working out. However, I don't think that will happen with Billy either given his lack of ability to turn around mediocre to poor performing Ford Motor Company.
One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's John McGraws fault.
qball8001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you Imagine Bill Ford like Mark Cuban... wow what a change that would be.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: