Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alan Branch can he play NT in the 3-4?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboys73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Alan Branch can he play NT in the 3-4? Reply with quote

This guy has great size he is kinda tall for a nt, Just curious where everyone thinks he gets drafted if he declares.

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=2982&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=983

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly has the size for it but I think he's better suited at a DT in a 4-3 scheme because that utilizes his abilities better. He's more than just a run stuffer and a plug in the middle because he has phenomenal agility and acceleration for a man his size which allows him to get alot of pressure on the QB from his position. He could also be a very good DE in a 3-4 scheme ala Richard Seymour.
sbrown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
He certainly has the size for it but I think he's better suited at a DT in a 4-3 scheme because that utilizes his abilities better. He's more than just a run stuffer and a plug in the middle because he has phenomenal agility and acceleration for a man his size which allows him to get alot of pressure on the QB from his position. He could also be a very good DE in a 3-4 scheme ala Richard Seymour.

This is exactly what I think about him. You'll see in many post that I have written in the 9er forum, that I think we need this guy because of his penetrating ability getting to the QB. I think he would be an outstanding End in a 3-4.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's tpp big to be a 3-4 DE. They tend to be in the 295-305 range, not 330+. He would be a very good 3-4 NT because of his abilities to take on double teams and due to his runs stuffing ability.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Cowboys73

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is starting to sound like last years Ngata threads about him being an end or a NT in the 3-4. I definetly dont seem as a DE in the 3-4 he may be a good athelete for his size but Seymore is more like 6'6 310 and similiar to chris canty in that they are tall and have enormous wing spans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is too tall and doesn't play with enough leverage to play NT in a 3-4. NTs are around 6-1/6-2. I think he can be a very good 3-4 DE and that is where I think he is best suited.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with slotting draft prospects into NFL positions is the height - weight distinction. Just because a player is 6'6 and 330lbs doesnt mean he is a great fit as a 3-4 NT. I like the question implied in the initial post as to where he fits into the NFL, but people shouldnt just assume he is a great fit in a 3-4 because of height and weight. There is a lot more to it than that.
Cowboys73

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympia Martin wrote:
The biggest problem with slotting draft prospects into NFL positions is the height - weight distinction. Just because a player is 6'6 and 330lbs doesnt mean he is a great fit as a 3-4 NT. I like the question implied in the initial post as to where he fits into the NFL, but people shouldnt just assume he is a great fit in a 3-4 because of height and weight. There is a lot more to it than that.

I was asking if he plays like a NT, Does he have a strong lower body does demand double teams, non stop motor, Things that make a great NT.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draftguru151 wrote:
He is too tall and doesn't play with enough leverage to play NT in a 3-4. NTs are around 6-1/6-2. I think he can be a very good 3-4 DE and that is where I think he is best suited.

BS. Ted Washington is 6-5, he may be the greatest NT ever.

Jamal Williams-6'3"
Gabe Watson(who could play nose)-6'4"
Cowboys73

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan52490 wrote:
draftguru151 wrote:

BS. Ted Washington is 6-5, he may be the greatest NT ever.

Jamal Williams-6'3"
Gabe Watson(who could play nose)-6'4"

What do you want hes a fins fan. J/k
I think he would be a great NT in the dallas Defense.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Branch is 6-6 330.

He has the ability to play NT in the NFL.

He is a first-round pick when he comes out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of a NT, I think of a big, run stuffer who's expected to plug the middle of the line and not much more. I think if Branch was used as a NT, he could be very effective. But I think he could be an even better 4-3 DT because of his ability to get into the backfield. I would compare him favorably to Shaun Rogers. Huge guy with unbelievable quickness and agility on the inside which allows him to get to the QB more than most DT's. I think former Wolverine Gabe Watson is a NT but not Branch. Watson couldn't get to the QB like Branch can.
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
When I think of a NT, I think of a big, run stuffer who's expected to plug the middle of the line and not much more. I think if Branch was used as a NT, he could be very effective. But I think he could be an even better 4-3 DT because of his ability to get into the backfield. I would compare him favorably to Shaun Rogers. Huge guy with unbelievable quickness and agility on the inside which allows him to get to the QB more than most DT's. I think former Wolverine Gabe Watson is a NT but not Branch. Watson couldn't get to the QB like Branch can.

Well look at Jamal "big cat" Williams who plays DT in the 3-4 and also peetrates the line to get after the QB. How many plays does he make behind the line. Plenty of them. branch would be the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be all for him going to the Browns, hopefully Big Teddy will still be around to teach him a thing or two if we got him...

and yeah if he can stuff the run and be an effective pass rusher, so what...I doubt any coaches that run a 3-4 will say no because he can pass rush well and get in the backfield
draftguru151

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I don't post here often. I like to post places where people realize some guys are the exception not the example. Yes Ted Washington did it, but he is also one of the biggest human beings in the world. Williams is 6-3 350, not 6-6 330 (I've heard Branch is closer to 315).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: