Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alan Branch can he play NT in the 3-4?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cowboys73


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2854
Location: The new home of Ryan Tannehil
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Alan Branch can he play NT in the 3-4? Reply with quote

This guy has great size he is kinda tall for a nt, Just curious where everyone thinks he gets drafted if he declares.

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=2982&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=983
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFan01


Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Posts: 3524
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He certainly has the size for it but I think he's better suited at a DT in a 4-3 scheme because that utilizes his abilities better. He's more than just a run stuffer and a plug in the middle because he has phenomenal agility and acceleration for a man his size which allows him to get alot of pressure on the QB from his position. He could also be a very good DE in a 3-4 scheme ala Richard Seymour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbrown


Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 9312
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
He certainly has the size for it but I think he's better suited at a DT in a 4-3 scheme because that utilizes his abilities better. He's more than just a run stuffer and a plug in the middle because he has phenomenal agility and acceleration for a man his size which allows him to get alot of pressure on the QB from his position. He could also be a very good DE in a 3-4 scheme ala Richard Seymour.


This is exactly what I think about him. You'll see in many post that I have written in the 9er forum, that I think we need this guy because of his penetrating ability getting to the QB. I think he would be an outstanding End in a 3-4.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20641
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's tpp big to be a 3-4 DE. They tend to be in the 295-305 range, not 330+. He would be a very good 3-4 NT because of his abilities to take on double teams and due to his runs stuffing ability.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cowboys73


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2854
Location: The new home of Ryan Tannehil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is starting to sound like last years Ngata threads about him being an end or a NT in the 3-4. I definetly dont seem as a DE in the 3-4 he may be a good athelete for his size but Seymore is more like 6'6 310 and similiar to chris canty in that they are tall and have enormous wing spans.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
draftguru151


Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is too tall and doesn't play with enough leverage to play NT in a 3-4. NTs are around 6-1/6-2. I think he can be a very good 3-4 DE and that is where I think he is best suited.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Olympia Martin


Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Posts: 6176
Location: N.Y.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with slotting draft prospects into NFL positions is the height - weight distinction. Just because a player is 6'6 and 330lbs doesnt mean he is a great fit as a 3-4 NT. I like the question implied in the initial post as to where he fits into the NFL, but people shouldnt just assume he is a great fit in a 3-4 because of height and weight. There is a lot more to it than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cowboys73


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2854
Location: The new home of Ryan Tannehil
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympia Martin wrote:
The biggest problem with slotting draft prospects into NFL positions is the height - weight distinction. Just because a player is 6'6 and 330lbs doesnt mean he is a great fit as a 3-4 NT. I like the question implied in the initial post as to where he fits into the NFL, but people shouldnt just assume he is a great fit in a 3-4 because of height and weight. There is a lot more to it than that.


I was asking if he plays like a NT, Does he have a strong lower body does demand double teams, non stop motor, Things that make a great NT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titan52490


Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 13496
Location: STL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draftguru151 wrote:
He is too tall and doesn't play with enough leverage to play NT in a 3-4. NTs are around 6-1/6-2. I think he can be a very good 3-4 DE and that is where I think he is best suited.


BS. Ted Washington is 6-5, he may be the greatest NT ever.

Jamal Williams-6'3"
Gabe Watson(who could play nose)-6'4"
_________________
Austin Davis on the victory over Seattle wrote:
“We wanted to finish the game in an offensive victory formation. We did that.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cowboys73


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 2854
Location: The new home of Ryan Tannehil
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan52490 wrote:
draftguru151 wrote:
He is too tall and doesn't play with enough leverage to play NT in a 3-4. NTs are around 6-1/6-2. I think he can be a very good 3-4 DE and that is where I think he is best suited.


BS. Ted Washington is 6-5, he may be the greatest NT ever.

Jamal Williams-6'3"
Gabe Watson(who could play nose)-6'4"


What do you want hes a fins fan. J/k
I think he would be a great NT in the dallas Defense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diezjabronie


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 8629
Location: The University of Michigan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Branch is 6-6 330.

He has the ability to play NT in the NFL.

He is a first-round pick when he comes out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
LionsFan01


Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Posts: 3524
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of a NT, I think of a big, run stuffer who's expected to plug the middle of the line and not much more. I think if Branch was used as a NT, he could be very effective. But I think he could be an even better 4-3 DT because of his ability to get into the backfield. I would compare him favorably to Shaun Rogers. Huge guy with unbelievable quickness and agility on the inside which allows him to get to the QB more than most DT's. I think former Wolverine Gabe Watson is a NT but not Branch. Watson couldn't get to the QB like Branch can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbrown


Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Posts: 9312
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
When I think of a NT, I think of a big, run stuffer who's expected to plug the middle of the line and not much more. I think if Branch was used as a NT, he could be very effective. But I think he could be an even better 4-3 DT because of his ability to get into the backfield. I would compare him favorably to Shaun Rogers. Huge guy with unbelievable quickness and agility on the inside which allows him to get to the QB more than most DT's. I think former Wolverine Gabe Watson is a NT but not Branch. Watson couldn't get to the QB like Branch can.


Well look at Jamal "big cat" Williams who plays DT in the 3-4 and also peetrates the line to get after the QB. How many plays does he make behind the line. Plenty of them. branch would be the same way.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
djvenditti274


Joined: 15 Mar 2006
Posts: 3940
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be all for him going to the Browns, hopefully Big Teddy will still be around to teach him a thing or two if we got him...

and yeah if he can stuff the run and be an effective pass rusher, so what...I doubt any coaches that run a 3-4 will say no because he can pass rush well and get in the backfield
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
draftguru151


Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I don't post here often. I like to post places where people realize some guys are the exception not the example. Yes Ted Washington did it, but he is also one of the biggest human beings in the world. Williams is 6-3 350, not 6-6 330 (I've heard Branch is closer to 315).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group