You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You own the Lions, what would you do...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: You own the Lions, what would you do... Reply with quote

Okay, let's play the hypothetical game here. You wake up tomorrow and find out that you are a long lost relative to the recently deceased Bill Gates.

As a long lost relative, you are entitled to .5% of his fortune, which of course equates to $3 billion. So you of course buy your favorite football team, with the intent of seeing them win a championship ASAP!

How would you do it?

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the team to a business firm in Los Angeles.

Retire on my own private island.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I would not buy the Lions. I would buy a baseball team. Since baseball is my true love. First, I would buy the braves and spend top dollar this year on getting all the good free agents in the game. And rebuild the bullpen. Then go out and sign Prior/ Holliday/ Santana/ Smoltz to long term deals.

But if I did buy the Lions I rehaul the entire team with Rods Guys... and hope for the best and if that fails... Do it all over again.
thenick_1999

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diezjabronie wrote:
Sell the team to a business firm in Los Angeles.

Retire on my own private island.

If you owned the Lions you could takke the profits (which is a ton for the lions even though they have consistenly lost and still have tons of cash left over for 3 or 4 islands.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you are ruining the fun of this discussion, the point is how would YOU get this team a championship. Would you get a new QB? Stud defensive player? What moves would you make?

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a whole new team is what we are getting at it seems.
S-Cobar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Millen, then get a GM who a proven GM (I don't know of any). And trade BMW if he's not going to play and get the ball. If he does play and catch the ball, then keep him. But there's no use wasting his talent and size by sitting him. Also draft Brady Quinn. I think he IS the lions answer. He brought his team back from a 30+ point deficet against MSU. That's Leadership for the future. Kitna and McCown are good temporary solutions but I think Quinn is where the lions will win in the long run.

EDIT: Troy Smith will also be very good too.
LionsRoar17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
a whole new team is what we are getting at it seems.

Its not exactly wrong...I say keep about 4 starters all together is all we need to keep, and build from there. and hmmm...lets see, maybe we should get a new GM Think

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 starters really now.

Shaun Rogers, and Roy Williams are the only two I would keep, maybe Sims if he is something special this year.
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
Guys, you are ruining the fun of this discussion, the point is how would YOU get this team a championship. Would you get a new QB? Stud defensive player? What moves would you make?

That is more along the lines of a GENERAL MANAGER not an OWNER. An owner sits on his butt and makes sure this team is making him money. A general manager is responsible for the product on the field along with the coach. The question should be "You are Matt Millen, what do you do to correct the ship?" Allow me to answer my own question...

1. Check your own ego. You may be the most intelligent person within the organization, however do not go with your own gut instinct in the boardroom. Listen to your peers and come up with a collective agreement among everyone there on what exactly you want to do.

2. Give everyone a second chance. Yes, this was a losing culture BEFORE you took over. Give everyone a chance under your belt to prove his worth. Do not overhaul immediately. See what you have within your organization first so you have a foundation to build upon.

3. Don't accept mediocrity. If your QB consistently ranks below 16th in passing, fix it. Screw the "building with young players" crap. You need to win now. Go sign the veteran who ranks in the top ten passing (Drew Brees) even if you over pay.

4. Avoid skill positions in the top of the draft. There will always be RB's, QB's, WR's atop the draft. There may never be that certain DE, OT, LB player that good again. Meat and potatoes type players win you games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
4 starters really now.

Shaun Rogers, and Roy Williams are the only two I would keep, maybe Sims if he is something special this year.

Sims leads the team in tackles with 42, and bullocks is 2nd (29). The closest veteran is boss, and he has 23. I'd keep Sims too.
Oades88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAKE Millen cut Hakim.... Draft Quintin Moses in next years draft (If we picked in the 4-9 range). Any Higher, I might take Joe Thomas, or even trade down, I don't think Brady Quinn is the answer! AP is a good pick but KJ has alot of potential, and AP just isnt Reggie Bush. He is a great player but no good enought to be taking by us, having a pretty good back (KJ).

And I guess if The Coaches keep refusing the play BMW.. Trade the damn guy, get somthing for him. I like him, but if he ain't playing..... We could get a mid-high 2nd rounder for him; maybe a 1st rounder from Cleveland LMAO
qball8001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you not call AP a cant miss prospect. The guy shreds college teams. The Okies have not had a passing agme since he was a freshman and he still carries the team. He is imo the only can't miss prospect in this draft.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1 of being GM would be to reassess the scouting department. They have a number of weaknesses, such as assessing cornerbacks (Goodman, Cash, McCann, Smith and Wilson), but they have made a few good picks in the late rounds (Holt, Davis, Lewis, Orlovsky). It is absolutely vital that the scouting department be top-of-the-line, and if you have to pay for it, so be it. Roy, Backus and Sims mean that only half of the Millen's 6 first-picks are making any sort of impact. This is a direct failure of either Millen as a drafter, the scouts at talent-assessment, or both, but Millen's making his decisions based on what the scouts are telling him, and it's been a long time since Detroit's talent has lived up to its draft status.

Secondly, I would redo the way PR is done. I would come out and publicly admit that this team is rebuilding, and ask us for a couple years to put this team together. I'd cut ticket prices and hold fan appreciation days where any fan showing up wearing a team jersey or face paint gets in at half-cost. I'd change it so season-ticket holders can only pick up their tickets on game day and cut anyone from the season-ticket list that misses more than 1 home game over the course of the season (appeals are available). All tickets not promised to season-ticket holders would be sold to a contracted firm (operating from a nearby location downtown) that would then be allowed to mark-up tickets (7.5%) as long as they only sell them on gameday, and max out at 4 per person. You want a ticket? Show up the night before. This way you only get the hardcore fans that are willing to dedicate a weekend to the team, and since they're already sold to the firm, you can claim a sellout and get the game shown on TV in Detroit.

I'd structure team events prior to home games - tailgating contests, that type of thing - making coming to a Lions game a full-day event (which it would pretty much have to be if people are going to wait in line for tickets). I would not hire cheerleaders, but I would hire stunt teams, which would be in charge of keeping the fans entertained during the 30-minute time outs. All team dinners the night before games would be public - all new and reworked player contracts would include incentives to show up to the dinners - and would be charity events to support the reconstruction of downtown Detroit.

As for the team itself, I would start with Martz. I'd throw a $35 million, 5 year contract at him to stay as offensive coordinator and let him worry about doing what he does best, with the stipulation that he would not talk to other teams about head-coaching positions. To keep Marinelli happy, I'd give him some control over GM responsibilities, asking him to be part of interviews with potential draftees and free agents (obviously, this would help sell free agents on the team), as well as having final say over all draft picks and free agent signings (he's the one that has to coach them). I'd make it a policy to focus on drafting and signing top-notch offensive linemen - because that's where the offense starts - and start figuring out how to draft cornerbacks.

The team needs to hire Chris Spielman as its linebackers coach. I can't tell Marinelli to do that, but I'd drop that as a hint.

Next, I would reassess the training department; they currently have 7 starters injured or questionable - Teddy Lehman, Alex Lewis, Kenoy Kennedy, Shaun Cody, Ross Verba, Rex Tucker and Damien Woody. You cannot win if your talent is on the sidelines. Look at what Arnie Kander has done for the Pistons, keeping them in top shape all year long. The Lions need someone that can come in and do computerized motion and impact assessments of any player necessary - they need dynamic motion breakdowns of potential players as well as how to improve the body mechanics of current players to keep them from nagging-type injuries like sprains and pulls. They need to work on keeping these guys healthy, and however they can do that better, it needs to be done, because nagging injuries can kill a player's effectiveness all year long.

This team needs a lot of work and a lot of creative solutions. Marinelli has started to change the atmosphere around the team, but it's not going to last long if things don't start to improve. The fans have already given up hope on the season; it's a miracle that people still come to these games. But there are ways to turn this thing around, and those ways need to be found.
LionsRoar17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go out and tell everyone, that since we are in a rebuilding mode, we will be cutting ticket prices. Offer better deals on tickets. But most importantly I would tell Lions fans, to stay patient, and faithful. Tell them that we are building our team up, we have some guys that have talent and could be stars in the future. Just look at the Tigers and what they did, why wouldnt we be able to do the same thing.

Now for the players. I would make numerous roster changes. I would go through the whole roster and cut (or look into trades) for guys that have no work ethic, dont hustle, dont care about winning, and cause distractions. I would be specific on who to sign, and who to get rid of. I would look into the way they act on and off the field. And the way they want to win. Those would be big reasons on why they would join, or leave this team.

And for the rest of the team, I would call a meeting. Tell them how they are playing in the NFL. They need to stop acting like they can do whatever they want. Tell them that if we want to improve, and win games, that we need to want to win. We need guys that will push their teammates, tell them to get in the weight room, on their off days. We need leaders, guys that will show the rest of the team how to act on and off the field. How to train for games, and how to train during the off-season for the upcoming season. They need to show them how to resepct the Officials, and respect the coaching staff. We need guys that will show them how to play on the field, yet keep their cool. Then I would tell them, that its not just up to 1 guy on the team, not just the head coach, and not just the GM, on how we can start to win again. We need the
entire team to play their hearts out, every single play, until the whistle is blown. We need guys that would run thru a wall to get a ball. We need guys that will do anything to win, and anything to turn this organization around. Its not just a 5 guy effort to turn the orgainzation around. Tell them that in the past, the reason that this team has been so terrible for so long, is because of the attitude, that he been going around. The previous people didnt make a point about the attitude. But it will change. The Attitude will change completely. The players will start to love playing football, they will love working with the team, and they will start to actually care about this game, this organization, this city, and the fans.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: