Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

40 Times..help me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beartn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: 40 Times..help me Reply with quote

Someone answer me this

A guy who runs a 4.35/40 has blazing speed
A guy who runs 4.40/40 is fast
a guy who run a 4.55/40 is slow??????????

There is 2 tenths of a second between the blazeing speed and slow guy, how that would be the difference between blazing and slow is beyond me anyway, I always thought game speed was the only one that mattered, so can someone please explain why 4.35 is blazing and 4.55 is slow??
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Someone explain to me that also.

"You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they donít play together, the club wonít be worth a dime."--Babe Ruth
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beartn -

I am usually pretty good with math.. so I figured that I would try and figure out exactly what the difference is between a 4.55 and a 4.35 40yd times.

I've got a cold so my head isn't exactly right... LOL!! but here's what I came up with.

Someone running a 4.55 forty takes 3.791 hundredths of a second to travel one foot.
Someone running a 4.35 forty takes 3.625 hundredths of a second to travel one foot.

I took the amount of time the faster guy would have finished in (435 hundredths of a second) and divided it by the speed at which the slower guy is traveling (3.791 hundredths per foot) and it comes up to the slower guy traveling 114.7 feet by the time the faster guy reaches 120 feet (40 yards). So the faster guy beats him by 5.3 feet in a forty yard dash.

So basically over a forty yard distance the faster guy will be almost two yards ahead of the slower guy... that's a pretty big difference.

If I screwed up these calculations please feel free to correct me... like I said - got a cold today and the old brain isn't all there today.
beartn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang GGRR see I wanted a basic explanation, you handed out scientific and all. Not quite what I expected but thanks, after this you can go do the scott trade commercials telling how you give people more than they expect. Seriously great explanation and I appreciate the calculations, I understand it!!!!!
tonysoprano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take into consideration too that the DB's are almost always 2-3 yards off the line of scrimmage, so the receiver has that ground to make up in those first 40 yards or so. Speaking of speed and fast receivers, who would you gentlemen say are the top 5 burners currently in the NFL? Randy Moss would probably have to be in the top 5, but who else?
beartn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Speed I would say Dante (guy from the chiefs WR), michael vick, Brian Urlacher, ed reed, and terrell suggs. There are other but these guys just stand out to me.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... off the top of my head I would say Moss, Coles, Stallworth, A. Johnson and maybe Horn.
tonysoprano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallworth has so much talent but can never seem to put it together. He can fly though. It seems since the West Coast offense came into effect there are less "fly" pattern tds and more of those crossing routes where a tackle is missed and the guy goes like 65 yards for the TD. Even a lot of Randy Moss' long TDs come from jump balls where the DB is right with him but Moss just out jumps him.
Bear_Down_CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 time still has got to be the most over rated stat in looking at football talent.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
40 time still has got to be the most over rated stat in looking at football talent.

I agree with ya Bear_Down_CA, it's only real use is to give us something to talk about. How many times does a guy really use his flat out speed on a straightaway for 40yds anyways? Now... if they did the 40s at the combine making them wear pads, carry a football and have to make some cuts then it might be a valid stat. Everyone wants stats on these guys... hell, at the combine they measure the widths of their hands, the length of their head, shoe size...etc. - it's all to give them something to "think about and evaluate" with. Find a guy that says "yes sir" and "no sir", loves his family and will work his [inappropriate/removed] off for you and draft him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: