You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Lions Mock 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diezjabronie wrote:
Quote me on this one:

I am not ruling out this organization drafting a fourth, first round wide receiver over the past five years.

The current group (Roy, Furrey, Hakim, Bodiford, Drummond, Mike) is one of the worst in the league.

And it's highly unlikely that Mike Williams remains on the team next year. He'll either be traded or cut, even with the cap hit.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the purposes of this analysis, assume that the Lions finish with a top-10 pick.

I don't think we'll be taking an O-lineman in the first round of next year's draft, for two reasons: First, going by history, Millen hasn't taken an O-lineman higher than the sixth round since his first year, when he drafted Backus and Raiola 1 and 2. Secondly, going by need, Woody, Backus, and Raiola are locks next year (barring injury), which means that they need a RT and a guard. Scott and Tucker are enough to fill that tackle spot, and you don't draft a guard with a top ten pick.

They need a wide receiver, but receivers are such crap shoots in the first round that it's a bad idea to gamble with another high first round pick. And I think Martz enjoys developing unheralded quarterbacks so much that I don't think he wants a first pick QB.

I think their first pick almost has to be a cornerback or a linebacker. I haven't done a lot of research on this year's draft class yet, so there's no one I'm hoping for.
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
I haven't done a lot of research on this year's draft class yet

I applaud you for that. It's still way, way too early.

I'm trying my best not to throw out the occasional pointless mock draft. However it's so hard not to pay some attention to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diezjabronie wrote:

I'm trying my best not to throw out the occasional pointless mock draft. However it's so hard not to pay some attention to it.

I know. Mocking is so fun, but nobody has any profiles out yet, and I haven't had the time to watch a lot of college football this year.
Marvin Gardens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're set at RB! Free Artose Pinner!!

~fan of team in as bad a situation as you all...U of Kentucky
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Gardens wrote:
You're set at RB! Free Artose Pinner!!

~fan of team in as bad a situation as you all...U of Kentucky

Pinner isn't on our team anymore.
LionsFan01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching today's game, I want a corner in the first round. A guy that would fit Marinelli's Tampa 2 scheme perfectly would be Damien Hughes from Cal. He plays alot of zone in college so I think he could make a smooth transition to the system.
qball8001

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the BMW comment earlier in this thread...I mean really we cut him when martz is high on him...?

Secondary is garbage... wow we got torched soooo bad, it hurt to be a fan again.
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
qball8001 wrote:
I want first pick so we can get AP.

We still have KJ, and we took Calhoun last year in the 3rd so I think that rules out picking a running back.

So selecting a RB in the 3rd round that can't get on the field over Shawn Bryson and having Kevin Jones on the roster (who has not put up a 100 yard game in 21 tries) trumps the Adrian Peterson card? Especially since this organization has had past success drafting RB's from the state of Oklahoma in the top of the draft (Billy Sims, Barry Sanders)?

Someone's got some "X"plaining to do...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Adrian Peterson is a fantastic back, and would be a great addition to our offense, we have Mike Martz as our coordinator. He throws the ball, he doesn't use the running game. We have a decent offense, as evident in the last two games. We don't need to help our offensive side of the ball. The common man will look at our statistics and say "Detroit is 29th in rushing, they need Adrian Peterson", but our offense doesn't utilize the run, none of Martz's offenses have. When we want to, we can run decently. Jones has a 4.1 ypc/average this season, 4.2 for his career. But we don't need to.

Our pass defense is a big problem. That's what needs to be addressed. I'm still waiting for us to be able to have a solid defensive end who can generate consistent pressure since Porcher departed. I personally would love a Mario Williams/Julius Peppers type prospect, but i'm not ready to say that Adams or Moses are there yet.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see Peterson in the same class as Reggie Bush - a can't miss prospect that you have to take because he's so electrifying. Yes, he may be the best player in college, but if he's not going to appreciably improve your team, then why bother?

You have to look at several things in the draft. First and foremost, you have to look at talent - does the player have it, will the player ever have it? Secondly, you look at whether or not drafting the player will make your team better, not just right away but down the road. Third, you have to look at LTI, or Length Til Impact - you have to analyze how long it's going to take a player to develop, and whether or not you're going to essentially be some other team's farm system.

Adrian Peterson has a quick length til impact and high degree of talent, but since Jones is the primary back and Peterson is unlikely to significantly improve on those numbers any time soon, you're spending 1st-round pick on solidifying your backup position (with either Jones or Peterson). That's not effective drafting.

The biggest needs are DE and CB. If you can find a passionate DE that will work his arse off to improve, you're going to find a sack-leader in Marinelli's system. Shaun Rogers needs help, and we found out in week one that when he's facing a blocker one-on-one, he turns that entire defense into a good one. Now that he's facing double and triple teams, and because his linemates are not pulling their weights, the weaknesses in the secondary are exposed.

The other position of need is CB. They'll be looking for a guy with excellent recognition skills, strength and lightning quickness, all keys for a CB in the Tampa 2. If they can get someone opposite Dre Bly that knows what he's doing and can help the D-Line get some time to get to the quarterback, it changes the game and changes the defense.

Right now, the offense is putting up points, but the defense is not. Fix the defense, and you fix the team.
qball8001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but we are going to most likely be picking top three. I for one would like Calvin Johnson or AP.
Kiper Jr. Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason i did this mock was to a) have fun and B) start good conversation, which i think was accomplished. it may be pointless and very inaccurate but i always love looking a mock draft

Many Thanks to miafins23, for graciously letting me use this sweet sig
qball8001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont need AP do we...10 carries 8 yards... thats SOLID RB.
LionsFan01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
We dont need AP do we...10 carries 8 yards... thats SOLID RB.

AP wasn't going to do any better than that today with that pathetic run blocking. I'm telling you, Kevin Jones isn't the problem with the running game. First off, the run blocking has been horrible. Second off, the Lions are last in the NFL in rush attempts. Look at that stat, 10 carries. Unless you're playing Madden, 10 carries a game just isn't going to cut it, regardless of how many yards you're getting. In my opinion, Jones has been one of the few bright spots on offense this year. Aside from his early fumbles, he's been very good when given at least adequate blocking and he's been a weapon coming out of the backfield as a receiver.

To me, the Lions have two areas they need to address this offseason. The defensive line and the offensive line. Rogers can only do so much and they have been getting zero pass rush this year, although today they looked a little better. The offensive line has been bad this year. Scott shouldn't be getting as much playing time as he is but they're thin along the line, only dressing 7 today and losing 2 guys at one point.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: