You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Lions Mock 2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diezjabronie wrote:
Quote me on this one:

I am not ruling out this organization drafting a fourth, first round wide receiver over the past five years.

The current group (Roy, Furrey, Hakim, Bodiford, Drummond, Mike) is one of the worst in the league.

Okay, fair enough, but why wouldn't you expect Marinelli to build up his defense first? The strength of your team is gonna revolve around your defense, specifically your LBs. Y'all have the front four, you better get someone to replace Paris Lenon.

Thanks packerbacker87 for the sig!
Idi Amin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daintrain, get over your fascination with paris lennon. He only started because of injuries. Our starting LBs are Bailey, Sims, and Lehman...unfortunatley Bailey and Lehman are ALWAYS injured and Sims is always staring down a concussion. We have lousy depth at LB...see my post on the first page.

Our front four the strength of the D...normally I would agree but we registered 0 sacks against one of the worst/least experienced OLs in the league...and if Marinelli took Sims to be his Brooks, then why wouldn't he take a DE to be his Rice? Reread the first page.

Also, I don't see us taking the well-rounded DE, but the speed rushing DE. Sporting News mocks are usually pretty bad, interesting, but bad. I think it's 100% we DO NOT take a QB first round after this past draft. WR would be in rounds 2-4 and we'd take the Roscoe Parrish, Willie Reid type explosive slot WR.

In the first we take OL, DE or DB

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idi Amin wrote:
Daintrain, get over your fascination with paris lennon. He only started because of injuries. Our starting LBs are Bailey, Sims, and Lehman...unfortunatley Bailey and Lehman are ALWAYS injured and Sims is always staring down a concussion. We have lousy depth at LB...see my post on the first page.

Our front four the strength of the D...normally I would agree but we registered 0 sacks against one of the worst/least experienced OLs in the league...and if Marinelli took Sims to be his Brooks, then why wouldn't he take a DE to be his Rice? Reread the first page.

Also, I don't see us taking the well-rounded DE, but the speed rushing DE. Sporting News mocks are usually pretty bad, interesting, but bad. I think it's 100% we DO NOT take a QB first round after this past draft. WR would be in rounds 2-4 and we'd take the Roscoe Parrish, Willie Reid type explosive slot WR.

In the first we take OL, DE or DB

Finally some feedback! If your LBs are "always hurt", what good are they? That means that you need new people.

Look, it's like our RB situation. Healthy, Najeh Davenport is one of the best RBs in the entire league. Problem is he is never healthy. Sounds like a similar situation at LB in Detroit.

I for one was never for taking a DE or QB. I've been saying over and over though, I really think Marinelli will address defense with that first pick. Whether it's LaRon Landry or Paul Posluzny or someone else, I think your D needs a lot of help that's all I'm saying.

qball8001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No LB in this draft is top 10 worthy, and we need impact players right now. We most likely will be in the top 5. And our MAJOR need is a offensive spark.
darkomilicic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diezjabronie wrote:
First off, I love it. It's week four and we are already talking draft! Only the Lions...

If they get the first pick, you have to select Peterson. However, their front four has not produced a sack the last two weeks. It would be hard to pass on a guy like Quentin Moses (who is the best defensive player in this draft) early on (assuming this team places 3rd or lower in the draft, then it's ok to take need). There's three planet players in this draft, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson and Ted Ginn. If one is avaliable at your pick, you take him. No questions asked.

daintrain28 wrote:
Until you do what is suggested in your mock, you'll be penciling in Top 5 picks for quite some time. I really feel bad for Marinelli, he's a good HC, he just needs some talent to work with.

I don't do mocks this early. They are pointless at this time.

I agree with Calvin and Peterson, but Ginn? He's a playmaker, no doubt, but he's not an all world player. He isn't a true wideout. He's very undersized, doesn't run very good routes because he relies on his speed too much, and doesn't have very good hands. Is he a first round pick? Absolutely. Is he a can't miss, need to get player no matter where you're drafting? Absolutely not. Peterson and Johnson are head and shoulders above everyone else in this draft.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
No LB in this draft is top 10 worthy, and we need impact players right now. We most likely will be in the top 5. And our MAJOR need is a offensive spark.

Sorry bro, do not see it!

qball8001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What LB or DB do you have in the top ten.

I will only take the Guy of LSU as a valid argument, other then that, have a strong case
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
What LB or DB do you have in the top ten.

I will only take the Guy of LSU as a valid argument, other then that, have a strong case

The guy from LSU is LaRon Landry. Given how bad we and Chicago were able to pass the ball on you all, DB might not be a bad idea.

If his knee is completely healed, Paul Posluzny is a bonafide stud! Even if you trade down five spots (which is what you should've down last year), that guy would be a great addition.

I do agree with taking a WR in Round 2-4 however, that is a good call!

thenick_1999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Ted Gin is garbage. Anyone who takes him in the first round is for a big dissapointment. He is thin, bad hands, and just not that good. Calvin Johnson is a star, but so were Mike and Charles. Are recievers are not near the bottom of the league. Roy is a star and Furrey is plpaying well. Just because he is a never heard of does not mean he is bad. The only QB I would want in the 1st round is Stanton and he had me scratching my head after the ND game. Woodley is not for the Lions. Sorry U of M fans. He is a mid to late LB-DE tweener perfect for a team like the Patriots, NOT THE LIONS, ecspecially if we are picking as high as you guys think we will be (which I am not positive we will). I really want a stud CB, but it looks like slim pickings this year so either of the 2 DEs or Landry would be good though I think we could use a run blocking OL because there are no holes for KJ. Adrian Peterson would do worse then KJ cause KJ still puts up numbers recieving and Peterson is not as good as catching and making moves.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenick_1999 wrote:
First of all Ted Gin is garbage. Anyone who takes him in the first round is for a big dissapointment. He is thin, bad hands, and just not that good. Calvin Johnson is a star, but so were Mike and Charles. Are recievers are not near the bottom of the league. Roy is a star and Furrey is plpaying well. Just because he is a never heard of does not mean he is bad. The only QB I would want in the 1st round is Stanton and he had me scratching my head after the ND game. Woodley is not for the Lions. Sorry U of M fans. He is a mid to late LB-DE tweener perfect for a team like the Patriots, NOT THE LIONS, ecspecially if we are picking as high as you guys think we will be (which I am not positive we will). I really want a stud CB, but it looks like slim pickings this year so either of the 2 DEs or Landry would be good though I think we could use a run blocking OL because there are no holes for KJ. Adrian Peterson would do worse then KJ cause KJ still puts up numbers recieving and Peterson is not as good as catching and making moves.

Ted Ginn Jr. is not "garbage." He is a project, big difference! For you guys, absolutely not, you don't want or need him.

Now, a team like the Broncos or the Bengals that can afford to take a player they can develop, yes Ginn Jr. could be a good addition.

I agree though, this talk about him as a top 10-15 pick is silly.

qball8001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking a WR from OSU... would not be wise.

I hope we tank so we can get AP. He is going to be a stud. Someone(*diez) told me that he is drawing comparsions to Eric Dickerson... and that is some good company to be in.
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qball8001 wrote:
Taking a WR from OSU... would not be wise.

I hope we tank so we can get AP. He is going to be a stud. Someone(*diez) told me that he is drawing comparsions to Eric Dickerson... and that is some good company to be in.

Well, it's arbitrary, but I see him more like Terrell Davis, but that's also good company to be in.

LionsFan01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classythomasj wrote:
LionsFan01 wrote:
If the Lions look at a DE, then I hope they give more consideration to LaMarr Woodley than guys like Adams and Moses. From what I've seen of them this year, Woodley looks to be the more complete end in terms of being able to get a good rush while being able to still make plays against the run. Adams and Moses remind me more of Edwards, someone who can generate good pass rush but is a liability against the run. If I had a choice however, I'd go o-line first from what I've seen so far this season.

Ok now is this based on watching every UofM game so far this season and only highlights of the games with these other guys? Lets not be a homer here and try to get the Michigan guy...we all still remember the other Michigan kid we had.

This is from watching every second of every Michigan game this season. He has been truly dominant from his DE spot. Teams have been doubling him all season long and he's been making plays behind the line of scrimmage. I just like what see from him more than what I've seen from guys like Adams and Moses. But he's not worth a top 10 pick and with the way the Lions have been playing, that's where they'll be so I think someone like Joe Thomas would make more sense. And by the way, the Lions have someone in Edwards who is Simeon Rice-esque so unless they're giving up on him, I don't want to see another speed rusher.
nb5005

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top 3 players in my mind are Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and Brian Brohm(for the Lions system). People say Joe Thomas but he plays LT and we cant have two LT's. I feel that within a season that Jon Scott will get the RT spot. If the Lions are outside the top 5 I look for them to take a CB or DE if we do not get Brohm or any player who may slip.
diezjabronie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mock drafts from around the web (as of 9/29)...

I visited 17 sites to make a lions complication, here are the results.

Average Position: 7.44444

Highest Rank: 1st (Sporting News)

Lowest Rank: 16th (NFL Draft Showcase)

Projected Pick: Brian Brohm QB Louisville (7 sites)

Other Votes: Drew Stanton (2), Gaines Adams (2), Quentin Moses (2), Adrian Peterson, Jeff Samardzija, LaMarr Woodley, Ted Ginn, Zach Miller.

Sites Used: Draft King, Sporting News, NFL Draft Blitz, Draft Notebook, The Football Expert, NFL Draft Forcast, Football's Future, NFL Smackdown, About.com, NFL Draft Countdown, NFL Spot, Con Draft Services, NFL Draft Showcase, Draft Season, NFL Report, GBN Report, Draft Ace, Draft Board Insider

No website has Brady Quinn, Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson to the Lions.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: