You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Greatest Quarterback in Eagles History is...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steegles46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: The Greatest Quarterback in Eagles History is... Reply with quote

Donovan McNabb

Biography
Donovan McNabb was born on November 25, 1976 in Chicago, Illinois. An athletically gifted athlete, he was a standout football and basketball player for his high school, Mount Carmel High School. The decisions he would make while in high school would greatly impact his future, for it was expected that he would attend the University of Nebraska. However, knowing that Tom Osborne, while a legendary coach, preached the option attack, he wished to dispell the belief that he was an "option quarterback," and instead chose to attend Syracuse University.

While at Syracuse, Donovan became one of the most decorated players in the school's history, and continued his two-sport prowess. While starting all four years at quarterback for the football team, he was also a reserve on the school's nationally successful basketball team. So how accomplished was Donovan at Syracuse? His football resume speaks for itself: he was named to Syracuse's All-Century football team, won the Big East Offensive Player of the Decade award (for the 90's), and was Big East Offensive Player of the Year for three straight years from 1996-1998. All four seasons he was voted to the Big East Conference first-team.

Donovan set school and conference career records for touchdown passes (77), total touchdowns (96), passing yards (8389), total offensive yards (9950), and total offensive plays (1403). Additionally, he set school career records for yards per play (7.2), total yards per game (221.1), passing effeciency (155.1), and passing yards per attempt (9.1). He also ranked second in school history in yards passing, completions, attempts, and completion percentage. His rare combination of throwing power, scrambling ability, and leadership skills made him one of the hottest draftees of the year, and one of the most sought-after talents in all of America - but not necessarily in Philadelphia.

It's important to note that Philadelphians held nothing against Donovan McNabb. It was just that the whole city had drunk some very spiked kool aid while watching a more nationally renown football school play week-in and week-out. Ricky Williams had just become the all-time leading career rusher in NCAA history, and his stock was soaring. A dismal Philadelphia squad was in turmoil, and everyone knew that a steady hand was needed. Enter Andy Reid. Say what you want about him, but he's just about as steady as it gets. And without much time to prepare for the draft, he knew that his first pick as Eagles' head coach would be the most crucial of his career. The Eagles found themselves in posession of the second-overall selection of the 1999 NFL Draft. It all came down to two players: Donovan McNabb, and the more renown and famous Ricky Williams. Radio sports shock jocks quickly aligned themselves with the Williams camp, and one man, who shall remain nameless, even went so far as to create a bus trip for fans to cheer loudly for the selection of Williams and to boo equally as loudly the selection of McNabb. The rest, as they say, is history. After meeting with McNabb, Reid saw a poise, a stoic leadership in the youngster that he obviously didn't see in Williams. He made the pick, the right pick, and McNabb got to showcase his inner strength much earlier than many expected; as he stepped up to the stage to accept the jersey as the second selection in the draft, he wore a smile on his face, unfazed by the tremendous volume of boos that rained down upon him.

As an Eagle, his moment in the spotlight would come much sooner than expected. Andy Reid made it clear that his rookie quarterback would not see the field his first season in the NFL, and would instead learn the system while the team tried to improve on a dismal 3-13 season. However, finding themselves pretty much out of the playoff hunt quite early, Reid finally relented and inserted McNabb into the starting lineup on November 14, a home game against the Washington Redskins. While his stat line left more room for improvement than anything else (8 for 21, 60 yards passing and 9 rushes for 49 yards), he showed tremendous scrambling and running ability not seen in the NFL since another young, scrappy Eagles quarterback named Randall Cunningham. The Eagles defeated the Redskins, and McNabb's career was off an running.

The rest up until now is history. Since his rookie season, he has led the Eagles to four NFC Championship games, winning one and propelling them into one Super Bowl. He finished second in MVP voting in 2000, accounting for 74.6% of his team's total offensive yards (the third-highest total in NFL history). McNabb was voted Offensive Player of the Year in 2004, while setting the NFL record for most consecutive passes completed (24), and the first quarterback to throw for at least thirty touchdowns while being intercepted less than ten times (31 and 8 respectively). McNabb is also the second least intercepted quarterback per pass attempt in NFL history, behind only Neil O'Donnell, and has the second highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks with at least 50 starts. With many quality years left to compete, McNabb is well on his way to being a Hall of Famer, and many conclude that winning a Super Bowl will certainly clinch that outcome. All of Philadelphia is hoping and cheering him on.

How He Won
Because he was voted highest among the forum, he was awarded a first round bye. In the second round, he faced Sonny Jurgensen, and blanked him 9 votes to 0. In the final, he edged the extremely popular Randall Cunningham 9-6.

Famous Plays
Pinkston TD - 2003 Playoffs
4th & 26
14 Seconds
14 Seconds - Radio

My Final Thought
I love McNabb. I remember being in high school and hearing about this athlete from Syracuse the shared my last name. What began as a mere curiosity to me morphed into a fascination, and upon his drafting by my home team and his flourishment in the NFL, pure admiration intermixed with stretches of sheer awe. Donovan McNabb is simply my favorite athlete of all time. I think the bracket worked out well; it came down to the two greatest quarterbacks in Eagles history, and I am proud of both of them, and would gladly exhalt either one chosen as the winner.

Donovan McNabb is not just one heck of a football player, he is one heck of a human being. He does not just posess the strength to not go down when being pulled on by a lineman, he posesses an inner strength to not get discouraged when being bombarded with boos from an unfriendly or short-sighted crowd, or racism from a very powerful and influential person. I am proud to say that he personifies the mix of guts, talent, strength, and personableness that truly makes an Eagle. He is a role model for football and for Philadelphia. Good choice fellow forum members, good choice.
Phreak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, as usual Steegles46. Every one of these brackets has been fun and interesting to watch unfold, and you haven't gotten any recogntion. On behalf of the forum, I thank you for the awesome posts and look forward to seeing more if you get the chance.

As for the thread topic, I'm glad McNabb won, and rightfully so. Don't get me wrong, Cunningham was amazing, but I just think McNabb is a gift from the gods. There's never been anybody like him ever in pro sports, and we truely are lucky to have a QB as amazing as McNabb, both on the field and off.

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Greatest Quarterback in Eagles History is... Reply with quote

Steegles46 wrote:

Famous Plays
Pinkston TD - 2003 Playoffs
4th & 26
14 Seconds
14 Seconds - Radio

Can u had Roy Williams Intercetion to that???? Its famous among Cowboys fans. LOL j/k.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, totally awsome post. There is one stat I didn't see in your post. Td's to Int's Ratio. Steve Young #1 2.18, McNabb #2 2.08 and Montana at #3 1.96. That speaks volumes as to what a quality QB McNabb has become.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Steegles46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
Agreed, totally awsome post. There is one stat I didn't see in your post. Td's to Int's Ratio. Steve Young #1 2.18, McNabb #2 2.08 and Montana at #3 1.96. That speaks volumes as to what a quality QB McNabb has become.

Wow, I didn't even know that. That's amazing. Shocked
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steegles46 wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

Wow, I didn't even know that. That's amazing. Shocked

what a stat.......!

great post i love the pic you used that shows little Mcnabb

you have the same last name!?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, although Randall is close. But McNabb has to be the Greatest Eagles Quarterback ever. Great Post Steegles 46.
stevec0008

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Espically in (most) our generation.
Curious about RB/WR...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the love for Bobby Hoying?

Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this thread was made a while back. Great post nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:

i knowwww i saw that, i was like what! that forum derectory was actually a great idea! we should all be checking it out more Steegles46 seriously has lifted this forum above the other forums, its pretty clear.

great post again, did any one catch that he said he has the same last name as Mcnabb!?

Last edited by Bednarik60 on Sat May 05, 2007 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagles $5$

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn i really though it was Koy Detmer... Laughing
Great post Steegles46, I really feel the same way...
In NFL today: (pure passer)
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Donovan McNabb
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Phire wrote:

i knowwww i saw that, i was like what! that forum derectory was actually a great idea! we should all be checking it out more Steegles46 seriously has lifted this forum above the other forums, its pretty clear.

great post again, did any one catch that he said he has the same last name as Mcnabb!?

Yeah, that's awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, man this is a trip down memory lane. Thanks for the compliments everyone! To be honest I think this is some of the best writing I've ever done in my life.

I've got lists for a bracket contest for wide receivers, running backs, and a small one for tight ends. After making one more history post, I'm going to get another contest rolling.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steegles46 wrote:
Haha, man this is a trip down memory lane. Thanks for the compliments everyone! To be honest I think this is some of the best writing I've ever done in my life.

I've got lists for a bracket contest for wide receivers, running backs, and a small one for tight ends. After making one more history post, I'm going to get another contest rolling.

lol its funny when your best writing is on a football blogging site, i was talking to my girlfriend about this, when i wrote the west coast offense thread, i was like "this is better then my senior paper in high school" lol

just answere tho

is your last name Mcnabb!?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: