Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DE Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HillHawks02

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: DE Problems Reply with quote

I understand the Ravens have D-Line needs. But I don't understand. Did you catch that? As an enourmous Ravens fan, I focus on them year round. It has been said we need D-Line help, but I dodn't want us to draft a DLineman, In fact, I'd be angry if we did. I think it would be a waste. Short of Erasmus James, who happens to be the only Lineman I like, I don't think any of these soon to be rookies are gonna be better than what we have. Wouldn't you want us to draft another talent that has more potential? Thoughts?
mic79e

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with whoever the Ravens feel is the best player available.

I think we need to get better at DT. Kelly Gregg is a great player, but behind him it's mainly potential and no real proven commodities. I think Ma'ake Kemoeatu will improve significantly, but we still need more depth. You can't just play two DT from start to finish, you need solid depth to form a good rotation of at least four guys.

I also think that we need a top quality big-bodied DT. Ray Lewis had two in front of him when he was in his prime. In a couple of years when he is getting older he will at least need one huge body that can occupy a guard and a center on every play.

This year's draft is thinner than in the past at DT. I think Travis Johnson is a prospect that would be good value at the 22nd pick, but he will most likely be gone before then. C.J. Mosley and Luis Castillo could be possibilities after round 1, but the guy I like the most is Darrell Shropshire from South Carolina. Hes very good against the run and opens up things up for other players. He should go anywhere between rounds 3 and 5.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think any DE short of Shawne Merriman and possible Erasmus James would be able to come in and start right away for us. Whoever we take i will be happy with because i know satisically that player has about a 75% chance of making the probowl(8/11picks). Back to the DEs, i think unless we get Merriman or James, whoever we draft(maybe in rounds 2-4 maybe Matt Roth or Bill Swancutt or whoever, would be more of a situational pass rushers and just play 3rd downs out ofa nickel or dime formation. As of now Weaver will start at DE for us and i see him starting the majority of the season unless we find some gem or get shawne merriman.
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't you want us to draft another talent that has more potential?

Definatley! but who's that? There's too much talk about what position we will pick when all that mathers is what player. It will be very difficult for any rookie to come in and be a starter on our defense. Suggs was much more impressive in college than Merriman or James and he spent his first year as a situational pass rusher. What we need to get out of the draft is guys that can come in and help the team as part of a rotation or step up if someone is injured.

If we want guys to come in and be imediate starters we should pick offense. It's much more likely that we find a rookie that can come in and start there. But in the NFL depth is very important since every team get at least a couple of starters injured every year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: