Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chester Taylor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we match the Browns offer for Taylor?
Yes
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
No
94%
 94%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 17

raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Chester Taylor Reply with quote

Personally, i think a Chester is worth much more thena 6th round pick(the only problem with drafting so well). I know if we matched the offer, it would be a lot of money for a 2nd string RB. I would love to keep Chester and I will be dissappointed to see him go, especially to the browns of all teams, however i think we can make out alright. Musa should serve as a decent backup next year for Jamal and i think theres a good chance we will draft a nice RB in rounds 2-4, or at 22 if Cadillac Williams falls to us. I think Marion Barber would be a nice pick in the 2nd. I do agree that with Jamal's running style, he will be wearing down a lot quicker plus injuries. Another thing to remember is that i think he is a FA next season. So depending on his performance in 2005 and our RB situation, some interesting things could happen
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chester is gone. Because if the FO really thought he would ever be anything more than a back-up they would have given him a first round tender which would have been alot cheaper than what the Browns offered. I think the FO like Musa more, his broken leg is a problem though, it can take a while to get back to full speed after an injury like that. About Jamal, i think he's got atleast four years so it's to early to think about his retirement already, his off-field problems and contract staus is a bigger issue though.
mic79e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis's contract status means that you have to think about how much longer he can be our top feature back!

If Taylor goes then I would like to see us take advantage of the depth at running back in the draft, but I don't think we should reach for someone. Carnell Williams would be great value if he fell to 22, but I think taking Marion Barber, who I like a lot, in the second round might be a little high. If some team grabs him there then thatís fine, there will be other good options later on, and we can take someone better with our second round pick.
mcdni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would like us to let Taylor leave. The Browns are overpaying for a backup RB. I don't think Taylor is starter material but he can come in and do a very good job as a replacement. I would like us to draft a speed RB somewhere in rounds 3-5. I like the look of Darren Sproles. He is very small but lightening quick. He would be a good compliment to Jamal and Musa.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overpaying for a back-up?...it's a 1 year contract and we have plenty of room i'm guessing this move was done to hurt you guys as much as it was to help us...if you match it takes up some cap space if you don't match we have a solid back-up for at least a year...good move by Savage.
mcdni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you guys are overpaying. The deal is for $3million. How is that not overpaying for a backup and it won't hurt us. Jamal will be back to his best this year. For that price you can have him.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year contract...if it was 3 million a year for for 3-5 years it would be overpaying but since it is for one year then no it is not overpaying.If he pans out and becomes the starter then it was a great pick-up if not then oh well we aren't saddled with a big long term deal.
mcdni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll think you will find that the Browns have a lot more needs with which to use their cap space than a $3million hardly a superstar RB, but fair enough for one year it is worth the risk. If the Ravens don't match the offer, best of luck to Chester.
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lewis's contract status means that you have to think about how much longer he can be our top feature back!

At some point yes, but RB is one of the few positions were you can put a rookie right in to action and be succesful so they can wait and see what happens with Lewis. And the FO knows much better than we do how hard it would be to re-sign Lewis maybe it's not a problem but they will probably want him to get out of jail before they re-sign him...

and about Chester I'll say WE would be overpaying if we matched the deal since he would be a back-up here but the Browns haven't got a solid starter and they will probably let Chester and Suggs share the load. And 3 million for a one year deal with a part time starter isn't to bad. Then next year they can decide if Chester or Suggs is a long term solution. If i were Savage i would probably have gone for one of the top backs in the draft though.
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm guessing this move was done to hurt you guys as much as it was to help us

you must be missing the point here, we ravens fans all agree that losing chester taylor doesnt hurt us that much. Musa Smith wasnt drafted in the 3rd round 2 years ago just for fun and like others have said, it wont be that hard to find another RB in the middle of the draft. RB is one of the deepest positions this year.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Raven leave it to you to come in and argue with me...lol...my whole point is I don't believe we are overpaying since it is only for 1 year he may work out he may not but if he doesn't work out he will be gone...I remember another running back who was 2nd string for you guys who went on to become the best back in the league so taking this chance isn't that big a risk since it is only 1 year and i gotta stress it is only 1 year.
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey truebrownsfan, i knew i could leave it to you to come in here once you signed another one of our players. just kidding around, all in good fun. Anyways,

Quote:
I remember another running back who was 2nd string for you guys who went on to become the best back in the league so taking this chance isn't that big a risk since it is only 1 year and i gotta stress it is only 1 year.

Priest was not our backup. He was our starter at the begining of the season before being injured in week 2 or 3. Then Jamal Lewis went in and started tearing things up. Its slightly similar to the Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe deal in NE. Bledsoe goes down early and Brady becomes a star, so the pats dealt bledsoe. Same situation here, just Priest wansnt a probowl qb yet like Bledsoe was, still a similar event. Priest wasnt a permanent backup to Jamal Lewis from day 1, he was the starter before being injured.
truebrownsfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still shoulda kept the priest...lol
raven5255

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know we should have, the following season Jamal goes down for the year with an ACL tear while Priest Holmes goes to the cheifs and picks up the rushing crown. that one hurt.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay...
hindsight is 20/20
the best season priest ever put up for us was a little over 1000 yds, hardly a great season for a nfl RB. He gets injured, jamal rushes for 1300 as a rookie. Its obvious that they had no reason to keep him around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: