Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are we prepared to accept?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: What are we prepared to accept? Reply with quote

I have it set in my mind that we are drafting Mike Williams. I will be extremely dissapointed if he goes to another team and in reality the chance of us landing him without giving up a decent amount is pretty low. I even heard a few mocks that have the 49ers taking edwards which leaves Williams for the bears.

I tried to figure out who I would be ok taking if Mike and Braylon were off the board and we did not move up.

I would like to see us trade down, pass on pack man or rolle and maybe trade down twice and try and pick up Fabian Washington who went from a third round moch into the first based on his combine workout.

Next years draft should be considerable deeper in talent and in marquis players compared to this one (the draft is deep at RB and has two outstanding WRs)

We need to try to start accumulating picks for next years draft. Maybe we get lucky and trade for one that lets us pick us Kiwaniku or an offensive lineman (out offensive line is rich with cap responsiblities and next year is when LaVar's cap hit is 12mill)

We need to get younger and cheaper real quick. Do we break the bank and go after Mike Williams and then get frugal after, or do we start now by trying to stack the odds in our favor going into the 2006 draft?

2006 Cap Hits
Arrington 12.141
Barrow 3.417
Bowen 2.40
Daniels 2.60
Griffen 4.883
Harris CB 2.75
Jansen 5.603
McCants 2.167
Morton 2.30
Noble 2.60
Patten 4.785
Portis 5.476
Rabach 3.045
Ramsey 2.882
Samuels 6.368
Springs 5.558
Taylor 3.12
Thomas 4.912
Washington 5.167
Wynn 2.558
Just the players already under contract we are at 106.723 for the 2006 cap, next year is the year we start to really have cap problems
guinis72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What are we prepared to accept? Reply with quote

After Williams' workout I'm starting to feel that he won't be there by the time we pick. I can't imagine Minn going into the season with T Taylor + Burleson as their WR so I think they'll take who's left between Edwards & Williams.

I'd like to see the Skins try to trade down into the teens for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and try to grab Carlos Rogers or one of the other DBs available.

I'm shocked by Patten's cap hit, that's rediculous. I don't think Barrow or Morton will be around (we have a ton of kick returners now) and Thomas is good but not a $5M/yr guard.

You think they're kicking themsleves because they didn't know Cowart could be had for a 7th rounder?? Lol.
e16bball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find that info Riggo? I'm just wondering because I have recently seen other numbers which are more friendly to the Redskins. Those numbers can be found at http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm
e16bball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, I'll just post some of the important information for those who don't feel like checkin the link out.

Individual 2006 Cap Hits

Samuels - 8.082M
Arrington - 10.542M
Brunell - 5.433M
Taylor - 3.12M
Portis - 5.476M
Springs - 5.558M
Wynn - 2.528M
Barrow - 3.417M
Jansen - 5.603M
Thomas - 4.912M
Noble - 2.15M
Griffin - 4.883M
Harris - 2.25M
Washington - 5.167M
Daniels - 2.6M
Hall - 1.82M
Bowen - 2.4M
Patten - 2.785M
McCants - 2.167M
Ramsey - 2.382M
Raymer - 1.118M
Morton - 2.3M
Rabach - 2.045M
Tupa - .939M
Thrash - 1.125M
Friedman - 1.05M
Jacobs - .841M
Betts - .81M
Marshall - .7M

Biggest 2006 Cap Savings (if cut)

Harris - 2M
Bowen - 2M
Barrow- 1.75M
Noble - 1.7M
McCants - 1.5M
Morton - 1.3M
Hall - 1.18M
Friedman - 1M
Raymer - .985M
Thrash - .875M
Daniels - .8M

That comes to a total of about $15M which should be enough to get us below the cap and doesn't even take into account the restructures which surely will occur. If you notice, there are really only 2-3 possible starters on that list. I don't think we are in the kind of trouble people think we are, although it's definitely not good.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://redskins.scout.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

Its from Warpath insider, they updated as of 3/17/05. A lot of those capologists figure out hits different, so I am not surprised they are slightly different.

Patton only has a big hit next year his contract goes 1.3m / 4.785m / 1.950m / 2.20m / 2.70m

The same with LaVar 5.36m / 12.141m / 6.53m / 9.133m / 11.783 / 11.40m / 13.0m
FrankCastle51573

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:

Brunell - 5.433M

LMAO, 5.4 mil for a QB who doesn't even start. Wow, Dan Snyder never fails to amaze me. Keep up the good work Danny, I love you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all acknowleged that Brunell was a mistake. Your team went and made the same mistake of getting an old washed up QB by getting Bledsoe. And you guys think you're going to be good this season, but you're not.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunnells number isn't thatmuch anymore, he re-did his contract. He is making the league minimu in salary for a 12yr veteran and he has incentive bonuses based on what the offense accomplishes by way of improvement. Now that his contract is completely revamped based on his last years performance, I have no problem keeping him a a solid #2 QB.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you know what Brunell is getting after next year? I've only seen his numbers for next year.
FrankCastle51573

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sootedpair wrote:
We've all acknowleged that Brunell was a mistake. Your team went and made the same mistake of getting an old washed up QB by getting Bledsoe. And you guys think you're going to be good this season, but you're not.

You could be right, but what I said was true, what you're saying is an assumption. Come back with some fact. I'll give you some more fact: 42 year old QB (Vinny Testeverde) = 2 wins over the Redskins.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love how clever Cowboys fans are. Rolling Eyes

In response to the question about Brunell, his salary continues to rise until 2010, maxing out at about $9M. However, the "idiotic" Daniel Snyder also finagled the contract so that we can actually cut Brunell after the coming season and it will cost us only 300k.
FrankCastle51573

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How clever Deadskins fans are. Fix your cap problems coming next year before they happen, otherwise youll be the next Tennesse Titans of this off-season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankCastle51573 wrote:
How clever Deadskins fans are. Fix your cap problems coming next year before they happen, otherwise youll be the next Tennesse Titans of this off-season.

Why don't you explain to us all, the Cowboys most recent acquisitions, and how that won't have an impact on them in the near future.
FrankCastle51573

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reasons why Brunell wont be such a hit; most is paid up front; depends on producitivity. Salary declines as years come. They are most old, and arent headcases therefore they wont ask for so much money in the future. Plus, as of right now, we still have 11 mil of cap room. I dont know how much you have, but i doubt its that much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cap room is nowhere near $11M, but I dont suppose that is really the point. Also, unless AskTheCommish.com offers horribly incorrect numbers, I doubt that the Cowboys have any money left whatsoever. The fact is that the Redskins have very few holes while the Cowboys have several glaring ones, so unless that supposed cap room is all going toward quality starters at FS, DE, LB, and RT, I guess it means nothing. Especially for a team who is relying on Drew Bledsoe and seems quite uncertain as to what sort of defense it even wants to play. I guess I'd rather be the better team than the inferior one with some measure of cap flexibility. And if you read over those numbers I posted earlier, it will become quite clear that the Skins won't become the Titans of this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: