You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MATT JONES????!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WashingtonRedskins

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: MATT JONES????!!! Reply with quote

I was reading Matt Jone's pro-day results, and i was wondering your thoughts about maybe gettin him in the third round, or maybe 2nd(trade gardner). Hes 6'6 245 and runs a 4.37. Heres what offensive assistant Jack burns who was there had to say. "Hes got the versatility to play a lot of positions in our league, with quarterback probably being one of them also," said Washington Redskins offensive assistant Jack Burns, a former Arkansas graduate assistant.
What do you guys think??
e16bball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's probably a project that I would rather take place somewhere else. He is just not at all experienced at WR, and I would prefer a guy who knows how to get open and a guy who has real great hands to a guy who is tall and fast.
Kukdiggity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take him in a second. He has good hands, he could have played Tight-End for any program in the country. I would take him as Royals replacment in the third in a heartbeat.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kukdiggity wrote:
I would take him in a second. He has good hands, he could have played Tight-End for any program in the country. I would take him as Royals replacment in the third in a heartbeat.

Gibbs TEs block, they're not receivers very often. Jones is not a good choice for a blocking TE (he's said that himself), therefore he'd have to be a WR for us. I don't see it happening.
e16bball

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. He won't be a TE for us, so I would rather he work on his hands and routes on the outside somewhere else. He could be awesome, but I am really preferring a WR who can step right in. We need one who can do that.
elkton_redskinsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still say go with Dave kasetta from boston college in the 4th rnd. He looks like a solid blocker and would do well in the system. Also he can play on special teams.
Kukdiggity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see our redzone production last year? Enough said. Even if he did have to play Reciever, which I don't think is necessary if given a year to develop, he is still 6'6" 1/4 compared to Mike Williams who is only 6'4" 5/8, weighs 242 pounds compared to Williams at 229, and runs a freakin 4.39!!!! Compared to Williams 4.59.... The dude can catch, and given the right oppertunity to develop he is going to be a beast... yet you wouldn't take him with a 3rd or 4th? Your nuts.

I say we draft Pac-Man Jones or Antrel Rolle in the first and sure up the D, Trade Gardner and our 4th for a 2nd and pick up someone like David Baas or Elton Brown, and grab the poor mans Mike Williams in the 3rd in Matt Jones.

The kid is a baller, and more importantly he is a Gibbs type of player... Fiery player with a lot of spirit... oh and lets see anyone try to lay him out over the middle...
WashingtonRedskins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i totally agree with kuk. We can use him exclusively for redzone production, ill bet he has great hands, he played WR in high school, some in College and in the Senior bowl he did. Its not even like were deciding whether to take him in the first round. 3rd round!! plus he does have good work ethic, gibbs type of guy, unlike maybe a Chris Henry an even poorer mans Mike Williams. But the key now is redzone production, 6'6 245, 4.39!!?? I dont care how bad ur hands are, hell be able to get wide open in the End Zone.
TKellion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think back a couple years you will remember that Joey Porter of the Raiders was just such a project at WR and look at him now.At 6'6" Ill take a flyer on him with a 3rd round pick.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if Chris Henry and Larry Brackins aren't around when the Redskins' turn comes around in the 3rd round... I'd definitely take Matt Jones. He's had comparison's to Joe Jurevicius. That's not too shabby at all. I doubt that Chris Henry will be around in the 3rd round, but I'm thinking that the Redskins ought to target Larry Brackins. I believe that Matt Jones could go in the 2nd round if teams pay closer attention to him.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can afford to trade down (if williams is gone at nine) and pick up a late 1st round CB and let Williams mold him into a run stopping, QB blitzing cover man. Fabian Washingtons got my vote. Trade down and pick up a second. I like maybe using Garder and a pick to trade up to get another 2nd rounder (assuming we get one for trading down) I still think we should draft a young DE as most of our talent is aging and not getting any more talented.

We need to land Courtney Brown as he will hopefully solve some of our longer term problems if he stays healthy.

Gibbs wants 2-4 more impact special teamer's for depth. Anyone have any idea on who he's got his eye on?
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Justin Miller could be a possibility if they trade down. He could be an option as to playing special teams and returning kicks. I know they have Santana Moss and Chad Morton but Morton will be cut and Moss shouldn't be used too often, as he is coming back from an injury. I haven't seen much of Fabian Washington. I'll have to read up on him, but if they can get a late first rounder and a second rounder for their ninth pick, I'm all for it. I'd rather fill all voids opposed to getting one highly scouted player. I can definitely see the Redskins using the 1st rounder for a CB, the second rounders for a DE and G and the third round pick on a receiver.

Question to all... How far do you think David Baas will fall? I think he could be the answer to a lot of the Redskins O-line problems.
mr.knowitall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones would be awesome over the middle because safetys won't want to evin hit him cause it will be like a brick wall. He definately has potential to be better than williams with his speed, size and talent. He is an awesome weapon that could be used like Randel El. And Washington is awesome CB he has my vot too along with Ruud at MLB if they could pull of a trade down to get those 3 players and a DE or DT prefferably if available with a later pick Tim Bullman at DT and Billy Swancutt at DE or David Mcmillan at DE from kansas who runs a 4.55 at 6'2 268.
Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
He won't be a TE for us, so I would rather he work on his hands and routes on the outside somewhere else. He could be awesome, but I am really preferring a WR who can step right in. We need one who can do that.

Jones is supposed to have amazing hands. Not good hands. Great hands. Did anyone see those leaping one handed grabs he made in Mobile? (He's also got a 40" vertical.) Like a man being covered by kids.

His route running, though, is probably another story. As is his blocking. Personally, I wouldn't expect too much from Jones in either of those areas. I also don't know if he's a guy that can step in from day one. And anytime a kid changes positions it's a risk. But his upside his unreal.

As hard as it is to believe, this kid actually plays faster than his 40 time. The only two other players who made me hold my breath every time they took off running, because you knew they might take it to the house, were Bo Jackson (who has the 2nd highest SEC rush per attempt average, I think, after Jones) and Mike Vick. If the NCAA kept stats for long runs (20+ yds, 40+ yds, 60+ yds), Jones would have to be at the very top.

It's crazy, though, because he looks slow - as awkward as anyone you've ever seen. But nobody in the SEC could ever catch the kid, whether he left them grabbing air after juking them out or was simply running away from them.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes it in the NFL or not. Plenty of great college players don't. And plenty of guys with great physical attributes don't. Someone will give him a shot, though. I'm hearing 2nd round, maybe even late 1st if one of the teams that are especially tempted by his upside gets scared that he won't be on the board when their 2nd round pick comes around.
sweapeelee33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Matt Jones is so versitle that he can QB, throw the ball 50 yards down the field, run after it and catch it, run and juke 11 players and score a touchdown and that you would not even need all the players on the field, just him and he can get her done solo. Shocked Laughing Exclamation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: