Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No TE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beartn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: No TE Reply with quote

Why have we not made a play for a te, like bubba franks, freddie mitchell or marcus pollard, I know they think clark is the answer, he is decent but turner wants 17% of total offensive production to come from TE, to do this I believe we need more than a decent TE, make no sense to me at all as to why that has not been a priority as well as the wr and ol positions
DABEARS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know i want a te too maybe they will give him one more year to prove himself or we may draft someone hopefully
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... six years in the league and he has yet to put together a good season. Here are his career averages per season:

Rec: 24
Yards: 277
TDs: 2

And what did he do for us last year???

Rec: 24
Yards: 282
TDs: 1

Sounds like he had his normal season... which doesn't cut it. We need someone that can be a threat and demands respect/attention from the LBs and SS... Clark just isn't the guy. Time to try something new... Jones, Pollard, Franks - I don't really care, just something new and improved.
Bear_Down_CA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

282 yards *was* 17% of our offense last year.
beartn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess I can't argue with that but if we had a real offense last year we would have need a good TE to account for 17% Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pollard went to the Lions.

"You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they donít play together, the club wonít be worth a dime."--Babe Ruth
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
282 yards *was* 17% of our offense last year

yeah... ya got me there Wink

EDIT: Ok.. I had to do the math lol!! it's actually 7.4% of our offense from last year
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Clark will be fine as long as he can get a few balls his way. He'll be a threat in the red-zone and a hot route on blitzes. He'll be the third or fourth look the rest of the time.
That said I'd be glad to see a legitimate threat at TE. It's been a while.
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya bringbackditka... I believe that the TE can open up things for WRs as well as RBs - it's a very important position in the offense - assuming you have the right guy there. Unfortunately we haven't had that since Ditka was playing. We have a list of guys like Latta, Jennings, Moorehead, Gedney, Thornton, Mayes... I mean where does the list of non-productive TEs end???
delakev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned above that with the exception of a few teams in the league, (SD, KC, Baltimore, NYG, and possibly the Browns) that TE is a difficult position to come across a game-breaker. You have to remember that in all of those cases they have a strong running game: SD has LaDanian, KC has the Priest, Baltimore has Lewis, and the Giants have Barber. None of these teams have top Wide Recievers. Perhaps what you lack in a stunning WR you get in a stunning TE. I think before the Bears worry about getting that great TE we focus on building our WR core and Running game. For the time being I think Clark suffices, but an upgrade at any position is welcomed.

Thanks so much Scar!!
GRRLacher

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delakev - you make an excellent point. Those teams succeed with average recievers and a strong TE and RB. It doesn't matter if you have two strong WRs or a very good TE and a couple of avg recievers - either way you make the defense respect the passing game.

Quote:
an upgrade at any position is welcomed.

I'm with ya on this one too - and as much as I bust on the Bears in this forum I have seen them fill more holes on both sides of the ball this off season than I ever have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: