Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is D.J. Overated?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Is D.J. Overated? Reply with quote

Is Derrick Johnson overated, our local talkshow host the Vikings fomer longsnapper Mike Morris, claims D.J. is no way worthy of a top 10 pick. In fact he guarenteed he would not be the 1st LB taken (Merriman). He claimed he had a stinker game against Oklahoma, and in the Bowl game. He said he didn't engage blockers well. forced fumbles from the back side, instead of from the front, Not taking them on with a crushing tackle. And furthermore claimed he was going to be similar to Dwaye Rudd very fast with out being a dominant force. His stock is slipping and he said the vicking didn't have him on there radar at all.. period. Completely overated. Was his bowl game a disappointment? I'm starting to get very wary of this pick at the 7th spot, a bust or even anything less than a super great pro would be a disaster. P.S. Morris wanted Mike Williams with this pick.
missingmoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Morris has inside information on the Vikings not having him on the radar, or if he is trying to help the team blow smoke. DJ forces a ton of fumbles, I don't care if he runs people down from the backside to force them or if he forces them from the front side. Bottom line is this guys gets results. I respect Morris, but I still feel DJ is the real deal.
IkilledKenny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: I agree with him on some points Reply with quote

Watching that highlight reel does remind me alot of dwayne rudd...In college football alot of guys use there pure speed and athleticism to be a star...Because of that they never really have to work on technique and when they come to the NFL they are years behind because they did what they had to to get by. EX. Dwayne Rudd, D. Thomas. Linebackers worthy of a top ten pick, like last years DJ williams for example were solid tacklers. They had almost perfect technique and speed to go along with it...and the funny thing is he wasn't even a top ten pick. The only reason why DJ will be a top ten pick is because of the lack of quality at the LB spot this year. There are in my mind 2 guys at the LB spot worthy of even a 1st round spot. If he is there at 18 i could see taking him but at 7 its just not a value pick...I know many will disagree with me but watch his highlight film again and notice the poor technique he played with....YES he is a GREAT athlete, but if I were drafting I would go after mike williams first. Our defense is looking pretty solid and after the draft if we still need a LB there will be some left in free agency. Right now we need a PLAY MAKER on offense and with the 7th pick we can address that need.
nickelpete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying this stuff for a while. It seems people in the forum are far more enamored with Johnson than are the scouts or teams. Exactly the reasons Morris points out: Johnson has ability but does not use it properly. I would like to point out that when we drafted Dwayne Rudd at like #20, everyone said it was a steal and a great value pick. The Vikes had no tears when he left via FA after four years.

As it relates to the Vikings draft, the best value and filling of needs will be had at #7, #18 and our 2nd rounder are as follows (I believe)
Vikings draft:
--Shawne Merriman (I still think he could be a weakside backer for us, on say running downs like 1st or 2nd and let him rush from the right end on 3rd and long when we go nickle or dime.)
--Mike Williams (who cares if he only runs a 4.6 the guy is a classic possession receiver and will be a great impact. Our defense has filled holes through FA and there's no one in the draft with the potential to make an impact like Williams does--No way big Mike lets that little chump corner Tilman from Chicago wrestle a jumper away from him like Randy did in 2003...)

--Tommy Davis (The guy 'could' play LB in some packages as a rookie, but he'll be a monster of a strong safety by 2006. Darren Sharper and Corey Chavous are not long term solutions...)
--Derrick Johnson (at #18, we can afford the patience to let him play some special teams, learn the system, bulk up and be ready to contribute by 2006)
--Erasmus James (If he didn't get injured he'd be a top five pick.)

2nd rounder
Mike Nugent.
There can be no other possibility here. Our kicking game stunk, had to waste two roster spots last year and still couldn't adequately be what Nugent can do for us. Kicking Lost us games last year. I don't care if Derrick Johnson falls down here, the Vikes need the Nuge.
IkilledKenny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Good point Reply with quote

Good point Nickle....Very well said
marshall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys how about this Scenario, we have the 7th pick. If we take merriman which Dallas will draft with the 11th pick no doubt. Can we trade down a few slots and get a second round pick/or late first round and still get Merriman? I mean this might be the best draft to trade down in, with the big cluster of rbs someone will want to trade up for the 1 that slips, how much value can we get trading down 3 picks? Maybe even with Detroit, who may want a qb if one falls. Then draft Williamson or Thomas davis at 18th pick, Nugent with the 49th pick and a DE with the extra 2nd round pick.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams and Edwards will be gone by the 7th pick. I believe Merriman will go to Cleveland at #3. To justify the Moss trade we need to take someone with at least the potential to be great. The only one that meets that criteria at a position of need is DJ. You can say he's overrated if you want, but then again, wasn't Terrell Suggs? I'll take my chances on him. With the other 3 gone, who would you take? Troy Williamson is a MAJOR reach at #7. So is Thomas Davis. We could take Spears or Erasmus, but that's a moderate need at this point. If we pass on DJ, then I'll laugh my a** off when he's playing in Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl while we're stuck with another Duane Clemmons.
Helter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with Ted Contrell showing him the ropes he will do the vikes just fine , let him slip to 7 all the better for us ... no way to tell if he is over rated till we see what he can do at the pro level
nichos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i am gonna regret saying this, but i don't mind all the dwayne rudd comparisons. He was on our defense the last time it was good, i thought dwayne was bad in technique but a great playmaker. and i was sad when he left Crying or Very sad . Maybe if cotrell had been coaching him and not Fazzy - O then he could of become a much more solid player. i mean his best season he did have 117 tackles and 3 or 4 sacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: