Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off season so far
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Off season so far Reply with quote

So, looks like Alexander is leaving (as he has stated he won't play under the franchise tag, and we won't sign him long term now that we missed the deadline), we resigned Porkchop, and Jones, so our line is reasonably well off. QB under long term deal, and we've purged some of the people we should have purged on the roster. We picked up a LB (Bentley), and have Herndon on an offersheet I doubt Denver will match. And we picked up fisher giving us some more pass rush. So what are the needs you people are seeing/how you feeling the off season is going?

It's looking pretty good so far in my opinion, we still have needs in the LB and DE categories, as well as a need to get rid of Koren as he is more liability then star. But other thoughts are much welcomed. Also any thoughts what direction we'll go in the draft?

-Chris.
brotherdew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defensive positions are obvious, but I think they also need to focus on receiving corps. two years in a row they have been beat in the 1st round of the playoffs due to dropped passes. What good does it do you if your open when you can't catch the ball!

Anyway, they may choose to fill the wr position in a trade for Alexander. If they do they might look at one of the many talented rbs in the draft.
immuhguy10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our receivers may have hurt us some, but nothin like our defense...i mean we cant lose games when puttin gup 30+ points...just cant happen...we do need to trade SA and i dont care what for...with his cap hit off our hands well be able to upgrade many positions and be fine at rb....our line is great, its not so much SA
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maz- i'm down in az., and its finally about 70-75, coinciding with the spring bible ariving (sporting news draft analysis), i have had some time to ponder your exact question.
before today i would have liked to have taken shaun cody out of usc. kind of s richard seymour type that ws most effective rushing the passer from the inside but had some versitility. meaning playing in the west you need to rush the passer on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. we added depth today but from what I understand darby was a good run stuffer. we need a run stuffer but cody has more of the total package, long and could knock down passes. Or I like pollack personally, again because of his versatility. could jump in and play mlb if needed. I say this because of the challenges offenses are having vs. the 3-4. I know we wouldn't run that, but it would allow ius to do that if we were switch things up and not be sooooooo predictable. Would't you agree?
linebacker is the obvious #1 glaring need but there isn't anyone really worth taking in in the first unless crowder falls that low.
taylor is overpaid and not likely to be here next year so, we MUST have aqnother cb even ifwe sign herndon. hey, we couldn't match up with curtis and macdonald. there is good depth maybe into the third but if washington out of nebraska, who runs a 4.3., is there when we pick 2nd we should take him. speed on returns as well. the cards are going to be tough tool this year.
with [inappropriate/removed] alexander whining, you'd think rb but he's toooooo greedy as he's made quite obvious lately. he won't pass on 7 million. the top 3 backs wont fall to that late and faison from UF is solid and comes from an open attack but isn't the best pass blocker. the same knock on alexander. Kay-Jay harris out west vir. I saw play a few times, 6' 230. could be there in the third. the other thing with alexander, the only teams that really need a rb can get one for much much less, I don't know if anyone would giveup more than a 3rd. and tht's puching it, because sa wants a long term deal. there's not a lot of choices out there is there? i think tht he hurt himself with the backstabbing thing and this "semi-holdout". also say an interview before the pats game this year with michael irvin talking about "getting paid" and not likking too good.
i'm just talking so please give me some feedback so that I have something to think about while i soak up the rays while I read sportsweekly on wednesdays.
hawkfan68

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to assess the offseason so far for the Hawks. I'd have to say it's average at best. Consider what they have done or not done. 1) They haven't addressed their needs at MLB. 2) Created a need at CB (Hopefully Denver doesn't match the offer for Herndon) 3) Created a need at OLB by releasing Simmons 4) Created a need at RT by releasing Terry. They have not gone after any big names players. Bryce Fisher and Kevin Bentley may turn out to be good players. Fisher's comparable to Okeafor but Bentley is no where near Simmons. They needed to get Hartwell, so what do they do. Stand pat and let Atlanta take him. Hopefully, their offer to Herndon isn't matched then maybe the offseason will look better. They did sign Hass, Mili, Jones, and tagged Alexander. But defensively they haven't done a darn thing. I'm not impressed with Fisher, Bentley, and Darby. These are average players at best. And now they're chasing another average player in Jay Foreman. I've never heard of this guy. Is he any good? John Clayton, from ESPN, thinks he's just an avg. player not a star or anything. Based on the offseason so far, it's looks as though another .500 season for the Hawks. I'm still hopeful but it's starting to fade. I have no confidence in this seahawk management.
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we added depth and maybe a little speed. also we added i think some guys that were not premadeonnas either. darby has a ring. he knows what it's like to play on a top D. I agree that these guys aren't big names true, but we needed depth and we added veterans that want to be there. Fischer is local right? younger, faster and less expensive. and we tookdepth from the rams. Chike was ok,nothing special. I think we could have packaged Simmons for something though! we are a little strapped there. so hawksfan I do agree with you there. But, bottom line is that Simmpons just didn't play, and when he did ????? how many sacks did he have for us? the reason we drafted him was that he ran a 4.4. if your on the bench, who gives a [inappropriate/removed].
If we didn't keep hass, who comes in and plays now? Jones is the top 1-3 LT in the nfl. we have two guys that can step in and play at RT.
Lucas had a good six game stretch. Honestly. Herndon is undrafted free agent that wants to start. not come for the $, just a chance to be full time starter. Lucas had a good first part of the year last year. seriously. Isaw that guy get lit up A LOT! would you have paid him 36m? no. last year we overpaid wistrom and taylor. we were happy cuz they went after big names and how many games did they play? who else did we sign? [inappropriate/removed] would have thrown 10 million at hartwell in a second. and then we don't have any room to do anything else. the teams that are successful these days have interchangable parts. i think that what we did opens up a lot of options come draft day. I think we got the third pick in the fourth rd. right? there's depth there. i will feel a lot better when I see the Bierra isn't on the roster anymore. i think we've done well from what we were all thinking with 15 guys available two months ago.
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkfan- i see where you re coming from as well. Jay foreman? hey, jaime sharper wants to be released. give our original fourth for him.
i don't know what his cap # or his contract long term is but he'd fill the hole nicely. we have slept on some lb's i FA. we are thiiiiiiiin there.
Atlanta and Tampa were the laughing stocks for a while there. Ruskell helped put some quality teams together, just being optimistic. it could have been a lot worse of an off season!
hawkfan68

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jer gibbons wrote:
hawkfan- i see where you re coming from as well. Jay foreman? hey, jaime sharper wants to be released. give our original fourth for him.
i don't know what his cap # or his contract long term is but he'd fill the hole nicely. we have slept on some lb's i FA. we are thiiiiiiiin there.
Atlanta and Tampa were the laughing stocks for a while there. Ruskell helped put some quality teams together, just being optimistic. it could have been a lot worse of an off season!

I haven't jump ship yet. I still bleed seahawk blue. You're right. Who's to say that these guys don't pan out. If they do. More power to foresight of the Hawks. You're also right about Bobby Taylor and Grant Wistrom. Two big names we had acquired last year. I agree with you about Jamie Sharper. I heard that the Texans may release him on June 1 or sooner. I hope we make a big push for him. Also I hear that Peter Boulware may be released by the Ravens. That's another name we should look at too. I definitely agree with you on Bierria. I don't know how he seems to find a spot on the roster. Smile
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkfan-you'd think PB wuld want to finish up with his brother. He's 30 with knee and toe problems. speed off the edge was his forte, so he hasn't ran in a while. literally run I mean. but if he was ok, you'd think that mama boulware would be on our side as well so she could see her babies playin together on Sundays. but we already have on older banger up olb on the roster. i think that bierra is restricted so we put him out there I think praying that nobody watched game film and made him an offer. i think sharper asked to be released, he was one of the better players on the texans. are they that anxious to get rid of him?
hawkfan68

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Looks like Herndon will be a Hawk after all Reply with quote

jer gibbons, if I were the Texans, I wouldn't want to let Sharper go. He's still a productive LB. Do you know much about Jay Foreman (MLB for the Texans)? It seems that the Seahawks are high on him. All I know is he is the son of former player Chuck Foreman. Just saw an article on ESPN. The Broncos are not going to match the offer for Herndon. The article states that Mike Shanahan said they plan not to match the Seahawk offer. I'm starting to like Lance Mitchell and Robert McCune as potential players to draft. The more I hear about them the more excited I get. Both have a real mean streak and are hard hitters plus their tackling fundamentals are excellent. In other words, they wrap up the players they are tackling. A very good thing for a bad tackling team. Just watch some replays of Seahawks games and you'll see what I'm talking about. McCune is as fast as some of the receivers, so maybe we can get both and move him to OLB. Mitchell was the MLB for the best defense in college football. Either one would be a heckuva pick in my opinion. I also think Matt Jones could be great. He's versatile. He could play TE, WR, and QB. Plus sometimes even a H-Back. I like his size and speed plus from the highlights I saw, he had great hands. Just think of the mismatches, they could have with him. I think he'd be a great #2 or #3 receiver. I'm sure we could grab him with the one of the picks in the 3rd round. I'd love to hear some of your feedback on this.
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkfan-here's the challenge with taking an lb. we must, must get a veteran in the middle in trade or FA. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the hawks are high on niko there for the future. is see olb as more of a priority with brown out there for half the season.those guys have an upside but we need impact a.s.a.m.f.p. (as soon as mofunkin possible). those guys would be somewhat developmental. but a third or fourth for depth is not so much a reach. i like the bentley pickup really, as far as value goes. the browns were terrible last year on d, but the year before he had decent #'s.
with matt jones, i like the verstility, but he most likely wouldn't play te, with mili and stevens there. is stevens in his last year by the way? i don't know if holmren would take a "developmental" player per say. he's not "qiuck" like homgren likes either, but I like the "x-factor" if you will. I want to know why seneca isn't catching a few balls. coulple screens here and there. he has great quickness, not like randell el but yu know what I mean. I can't beleive we gave a third for him. He'll never play! i like him, but he won't get any pt as qb. back to jones. it would be nice inside the five to ten to toss it up to a 6-6 guy in the corner. jurevicious would be nice too. ithink that would be too easy for holmgen, he likes to make things a little too complicated sometimes. by this time of night, i'm usually into a few beers so if i jump arund forgive me.

there is a seatlletimes seahawks chat site, they mentioned someting about a trade for sharper so we'll see what happens.
when we sign a vet ilb, the guys that I really like are pollack and cody. cody's best at the inside pass rush, and if need go outside. I really like pollack too because of his motor and is an animal, could play up or down.. both very versitile. we need speed and depth at corner. ther'll be sime pimps left in the third. Iknow that this is not a glamour pick, and if hutch is not signed to two moe years, and with grey and tobeck ?'s, we need depth there. we've gotten good quality from that thirdspot lately. ? Where does the compensatory pick we got in the third fall. I'd assume late?
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkfan-when I pull up this subject on the home page for this forum i can't see or read the reply I had to your message, but when I click post reply I do. Are you seeing it on your end or is the lithium/vicadan cocktails making me insane in the membrane.
jer gibbons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mid I'm an idiot.
hawkfan68

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jer gibbons wrote:
never mid I'm an idiot.

Hi jer gibbons, Yes. I was able to see your post. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reply due to login issues with the site. It kept looping to the login screen when I was trying to submit my comments. I agree with you about the veteran MLB. We have a lot of young people already in those spots we really need a good vet. Superbowl teams have a good mix of vets and young players. The odd thing is we had a good MLB a couple of years ago in Randall Godfrey, but we didn't resign him last year. Now we're lick our wounds for that.
hawkfan68

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jer gibbons wrote:
never mid I'm an idiot.

Hi jer gibbons, Yes. I was able to see your post. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reply due to login issues with the site. It kept looping to the login screen when I was trying to submit my comments. I agree with you about the veteran MLB. Hawks have a lot of young people already in those spots we really need a good vet. Superbowl teams have a good mix of vets and young players. The odd thing is they had a good MLB a couple of years ago in Randall Godfrey, but they didn't resign him last year. Now they're licking their wounds for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: