You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reggie Who??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dallastexan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reggie Who?? Reply with quote

Now I'm not saying that Reggie Bush is in ANY way going to do badly, and I'm not bashing the guy. But for all of the talk about what an INSTANT superstar this guy would be, he's outshined by W. Lundy week one, and in week 2, he's held to under 2yds per carry average??? I have to think Mario is looking better and better. He IS improving, and he will continue to do so. I love what Houston is doing so far, and I really think that we have what it takes to go 8-8 this season. The only thing against us, is our schedule does not look at all like the schedule of a 2-14 team. Don't bad teams end up getting slightly easier schedules the next year?
Texans02

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, not sure if I'm ready to throw Reggie under the bus and put Mario on a pedastal just yet. But I'm glad to see our back-up RBs stepping up and performing well.
texansfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans02 wrote:
Heh, not sure if I'm ready to throw Reggie under the bus and put Mario on a pedastal just yet. But I'm glad to see our back-up RBs stepping up and performing well.

Agreed. I'm excited about the development of our running game and just hope that Mario continues to grow. Because if Mario has a really good season and our running backs like Lundy and Morency continue to grow, then passing on Bush seems like a good choice.
goose85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh Reggie still looks like Reggie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie got stuffed by Dallas's D this week. The one carry he actually had a decent hole to run through he got 8 or 9 yards. I think it'll be a few years before the Reggie vs. Mario debate can actually be settled. I will say I am excited to see what Mario can do against some top tier competition.

IMO...he won't have a flashy 10 sack type of year, but he'll do more to help the Texans that Reggie Bush would have.

"No player in Boston sports history has sent home this many people with electrifying moments of greatness." - Dan Shaunghnessy on David Ortiz
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that will make the Mario Williams pick look even better in my opinion is the emergence of Vernand Morency. I think this guy is in for a big breakout this year, and with both Domanick Davis and the shifty Morency in the fold, adding an impact defensive stud like Mario will prove to be the wise choice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it was between Mario Williams and D'Brickshaw Ferguson as to who the Texans were going to pick first. I mean yes we all love finesse players like Reggie Bush in our team but those finesse players cannot do anything if the guys in front of them aren't there to either create room or protection or on the defensive line force pressure or close down running for the opposing team's running game.

In the long run Mario Williams will be a great pick because you guys took a position of need instead a position of finesse where you already have three very capable backs.

Do you think you guys may look for someone like Joe Thomas in next year's draft then dow that you have the anchor man of your defensive line for years to come?

Props to JammerHammer on the awesome sig!
ihavenothing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goose85 wrote:
Eh Reggie still looks like Reggie.

Yes, he did on a few of his carries/dump off passes.

As Eagle_Scout said it will take a few years to settle the Mario v Bush debate.

However, with the introduction of Bronco's running system in Houston, a high profile RB wasn't needed at all. Mario or Hawk had to be the pick and Mario has a higher ceiling, IMO.

To me, the Texans' RB's seemed to have taken it as a challenge that everyone was ripping Houston for passing on Reggie and Morency and Lundy have simply shined brightly in the preseason. When Domanick Davis comes back the Running Game in Houston will be scary.

Thanks to kdawg24 for the sig
Soaring Jets Wall of Honor Member
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure Joe Thomas would be a good fit for the Texans. The reason I wanted D'Brickashaw to be drafted by the Texans, even though traditionally the ZBS doesn't ask for high draft pick O-Linemen, is that he is athletic enough to be a perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme. When you're that athletic and you're also a linemen prospect in the same class as the Ogdens, Pace's and Walter Jones', you're just an all around dynamite prospect.

Joe Thomas isn't very atheltic and relies more on his brute strength, which by the way is why he struggles with speed rushers, so he wouldn't be a good fit for the zone blocking scheme.

I think the Texans are going to give Eric Winston a shot at the left tackle job anyways. If it wasn't for injury issues, Winston would have been a first round pick, and this time last year he was projected as a Top 5 or Top 10 pick. He's got a whole lot of talent.

Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Titansfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I really don't know much about College so I was just summising that they would look at Thomas and I had completley forgotten about Winston who as you said was projected very highly until his injury.

I really liked the Mario Williams picks though because it now gives them a dominating force on the line and he will be able to allow the Secondary to make more plays if he can get pressure on the Quarterback.

Props to JammerHammer on the awesome sig!
dallastexan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just hope that next year there's a dominating Safety left when the Texans are on the clock!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dallastexan wrote:
Let's just hope that next year there's a dominating Safety left when the Texans are on the clock!

The 2007 Draft is a good draft to look at if you're craving safeties. At the top of the pecking order you've got 3 studly star safeties in LaRon Landry, Brandon Merriweather, and Michael Griffin, who are all big name players with high 1st round caliber talent. One of those guys is bound to fall to the Texans. On top of that though, the draft will feature Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse, Notre Dame's Tom Zbikowski, and USC's Josh Pinkard, all of whom could be had in the 2nd or 3rd round.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
vBut for all of the talk about what an INSTANT superstar this guy would be, he's outshined by W. Lundy week one, and in week 2, he's held to under 2yds per carry average??? I have to think Mario is looking better and better.

Being an INSTANT superstar doesn't mean doing amazing in his 2nd preseason game. INSTANT should be playing well every game this season. If he can make a big play and score once every game, that would be Bush being an INSTANT superstar. You can't compare how Williams is doing compared to Bush because they play different positions. Both are doing OK. I have seen Williams make 1 good play and thats it. I have seen Bush make 1 good play and thats it. Neither are doing great. Bush will have a bigger impact for the Saints than Williams will have for the Texans. I still think the Texans should have traded down and drafted Ferguson.
NCPackers_08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
dallastexan wrote:

The 2007 Draft is a good draft to look at if you're craving safeties. At the top of the pecking order you've got 3 studly star safeties in LaRon Landry, Brandon Merriweather, and Michael Griffin, who are all big name players with high 1st round caliber talent. One of those guys is bound to fall to the Texans. On top of that though, the draft will feature Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse, Notre Dame's Tom Zbikowski, and USC's Josh Pinkard, all of whom could be had in the 2nd or 3rd round.

2007 is also a year for RB's...There a quailty guys that will be available in round 2 and 3 that could easily become a star for the Texans.

I mean, I know D win championships, but you have to have an anchor for the offense as well...something of lack.
pollino14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it was a bad move by Houston. A Reggie Bush type player comes around once in a lifetime. He can hurt you rushing the ball and catching the ball.

As for Mario, im not so sure on him. He has all of the physical attributes to be successful but does he have the technique? He is a very raw player, it could take years for him to have a 10 sack season. What happens in 4 years from now if Reggie Bush is a 100 yrd back and Williams is still a 5-6 sack guy, will Texan fans turn on him?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: