You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First game

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: First game Reply with quote

Alright, I hate to have to say it, but I didn't get a chance to watch the Texans first preseason game. I was away for the weekend and couldn't find anyone to tape it for me (I'm also pissed because the NFL Network said that the Houston Texans training camp was going to be on at 10:00 last Wednesday and they showed Green Bay's training camp instead). But anyways, I didn't get to watch the game, but am impressed with the stats I'm seeing. Could anyone comment on how our main guys and rookies looked? I've heard Mario was unimpressive and Demeco was really impressive. So anyone not named Johnny Texan, feel free to comment on how our guys did in the game. Don't use stats, talk about how they looked.

David Carr -
Wali Lundy -
Owen Daniels -
Bennie Joppru (Finally, a catch!!!!) -
Charles Spencer -
Eric Winston -
Mario Williams -
Travis Johnson -
Jason Babin -
Eric Moulds -

etc, etc.
MASHER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that there isn't more activity on this board ... oh well ...

I didn't get to watch much of the game either, but what I saw was guys making some plays, and who had a spring in their step. This does not look at all like the beat-down, sandbagging, drag-azz team that was taking the field for the majority of last season.

That said, pre-season success or lack therof doesn't mean squat in the NFL. Indy lost what, all their pre-season games 2 years running and looked like crud ...? So take all stats with a grain of salt. That's why I think the best indicator was the energy level and smiles and joking on the sidelines. This is a team that wants to believe that it can believe in winning games... all in all a good sign...
TexansFan23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Carr - Did pretty well, seemed decently calm in the pocket, liked what I saw.
Wali Lundy -Excellent. Found holes, and ran threw them. Simple as that.
Owen Daniels - Not too shabby.
Bennie Joppru (Finally, a catch!!!!) - I dunno. OK.
Charles Spencer - Hard to judge offensive linemen, seemed alright.
Eric Winston - See Spencer.
Mario Williams - Lackluster. First game though, should get better.
Travis Johnson - Didn't pay attention to Travis.
Jason Babin - Decent.
Eric Moulds - Pretty good.

Credit: mike23md
texansfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASHER wrote:
Funny that there isn't more activity on this board ... oh well ...

I didn't get to watch much of the game either, but what I saw was guys making some plays, and who had a spring in their step. This does not look at all like the beat-down, sandbagging, drag-azz team that was taking the field for the majority of last season.

That said, pre-season success or lack therof doesn't mean squat in the NFL. Indy lost what, all their pre-season games 2 years running and looked like crud ...? So take all stats with a grain of salt. That's why I think the best indicator was the energy level and smiles and joking on the sidelines. This is a team that wants to believe that it can believe in winning games... all in all a good sign...

Yeah, it seemed that this board really picked up around the time we were close to drafting Reggie Bush.... seems like it has died down a bit after that.

I like your analysis, and agree that preseason doesn't mean a whole lot. But like you said, the important thing is that we believe we can win and are approaching games like that. Kubiak has changed the mentality of this team and I really like what I'm hearing.

Texansfan23 - Thanks for your analysis of the players. I had heard similar things to that but just wanted to get someone's view who had watched the game.
Horns1906

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can take a couple of stats away from the game.
2 key stats
1. 0 sacks!
2. 173 rushing yrds

The Oline appears to be much improved, following the news outlets Mike Flanagan has really stepped up and became the leader of the line...and Charles Spencer will definately be the starter at least by mid year.
texansfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horns1906 wrote:
I think we can take a couple of stats away from the game.
2 key stats
1. 0 sacks!
2. 173 rushing yrds

The Oline appears to be much improved, following the news outlets Mike Flanagan has really stepped up and became the leader of the line...and Charles Spencer will definately be the starter at least by mid year.

Exactly. 0 sacks against and 5 sacks for. That's awesome considering both lines had struggled the past few seasons.

And I agree. Everything I have heard about Spencer is that he has been doing terrific. He and Winston are our future at the tackle position.
Texantype

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Texans Reply with quote

I posted my opinion on another site on their 1st game performance, which I thought was a 7 on a 1-10 scale.

However after seeing their opponent, KC, play their 2nd game and getting absolutely crunched maybe I'm wrong. But, a win is a win.

One note, Super Mario better pick his play up several notches in the game tomorrow night. $56 million for that performance? You could get free agents for min. wage that play better than that! Question
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Texans Reply with quote

Texantype wrote:
I posted my opinion on another site on their 1st game performance, which I thought was a 7 on a 1-10 scale.

However after seeing their opponent, KC, play their 2nd game and getting absolutely crunched maybe I'm wrong. But, a win is a win.

One note, Super Mario better pick his play up several notches in the game tomorrow night. $56 million for that performance? You could get free agents for min. wage that play better than that! Question

That's true. But also consider that he's a 20-year old kid who played his first real game against Tony Gonzalez, Kyle Turley and Will Shields. That's pretty tough no matter who you are. His first 3 preseason games will be against 3 of the best O-lines you can play. KC and Denver both have very cohesive units, and St Louis features Orlando Pace. If he can build on this preseason, he could be pretty good against the O-lines for Miami, Dallas, Buffalo and Cleveland this year.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: