Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Williams Vs. Derrick Johnson "Can't we have both?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Mike Williams Vs. Derrick Johnson "Can't we have both? Reply with quote

These days it seems pretty clear cut that Vikings fans want either Mike Williams or Derrick Johnson out of this draft, but isn't there some way we could have both, realistically? The Browns are the key, I think... The trade I am about to propose will never EVER happen, but it is nonetheless realistic, and I have even posted the idea in the Browns' forum for some feedback, so we'll see what they think. Here it is:

Vikings trade: #18 (first round pick), #49 (second round pick), 5th round pick, 7th round pick (from Oakland), SS Brian Russell (he would have to be signed and then shipped) and RB Michael Bennett to the Browns for #3.

It seems like a lot to give up, but look at what we get. Clearcut, it would look like this:

The Vikings Draft:

#3 (from Browns): WR Mike Williams, almost a lock to be there unless the 49ers go crazy. Our stud receiver in the making.

#7 LB Derrick Johnson: From what I've been reading lately, we now stand a good shot at nabbing Johnson at #7. There are rumblings that Merriman will probably go higher than him as well.

3rd Round Pick: K Mike Nugent (a good shot at him here, but you never know)

4th Round Pick: Best Safety
6th Round Pick: Best Defensive End
7th Round: Best Guard

It would be more than fair for the Browns too: They would get a proven rusher in Bennett, albeit with some health concerns. A quality safety that Crennel liked enough to have for a visit last week, at worst Russell is a good backup in this league. They also keep a first round pick and get to nab QB Alex Smith at #18 and pay him less to be groomed behind Dilfer, plus 3 extra picks of ours to pad their new team with.

A GOOD DEAL FOR BOTH I SAY! TOO BAD IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way does Merriman get drafted before Derrick Johnson. I think that the Bucs will screw a running back and grab Derrick Johnson to fill the void left by Ian Gold.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont need that good of a linebacker with Derrick Brooks still playing
We should reverse this, I think Williams will be there at 7, either he or Braylon(Though Braylon isnt MW) will be there unless someone trades up

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for once rushpacker, I dont agree with you on that. And Russell shouldn't even be in the L. And, we wouldn't be able to get Nugent in the 3rd round, therefore I wouldn't like us trading the 2nd round pick.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and... nugent will not make it to the vikes' 3rd round pick. the titans draft in the 3rd before the vikes and would nab him then.

vikes HAVE to use their 2nd on nugent, because tennessee won't.

we burn our 2nd round pick on a kicker, but so what, nugent will win games for them.
viks_fan21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Dj and Williams Reply with quote

I think that this trade is pretty cool and a clever idea, but you are correct in assuming that it will never happen.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if any nfl team would allow another to have the #3 pick and the #7. it would strengthen somebody too much (it certainly would the vikings)

what does history say? what teams have had 2 picks in the top ten of the first round? who'd they pick and how did they turn out?
Lee121503

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Redskins had the 2nd and 3rd picks the year they drafted LaVar Arrington and Chris Samuels when Courtney Brown was the number 1 pick. It worked out well for them, but they still didn't make the playoffs. Is it sad that I didn't even have to look that one up? I need a life apparently
Helter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much just to get williams , the Wr's are too deep in the draft ... me may not land williams or edwards but we could get one to work in as #3 this years and #2 next year when robinson is gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: