Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pace signs with Rams, Texans obviously unhappy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickledpigsfeet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Pace signs with Rams, Texans obviously unhappy Reply with quote

The St. Louis Rams reached a seven-year, $52.8 million deal with franchise left tackle Orlando Pace Wednesday that ended three years of efforts to get him to agree to the long-term contract.

Included in the deal is a $15 million signing bonus. By agreeing to the contract Wednesday, the Rams will be able to use the franchise tag on future players instead of losing it for the next seven years, the length of Pace's contract.

The Rams and Pace's agent, Kennard McGuire, exchanged proposals and counter proposals Tuesday afternoon and evening and narrowed the gap enough that Pace went on a radio station and said he was optimistic a deal could be struck with the Rams.

That did not sit too well with the Houston Texans, who were willing to give Pace the second-best left tackle contract in the NFL if they could work out a trade with the Rams. Pace visited the Texans on Monday with hopes of convincing them to trade for him.

Unfortunately for the Texans, the Rams were reluctant to consider taking less than two first-rounders for Pace, the team's franchise player for the past three years. Trade discussion never did heat up enough for the Texans to get a deal with the Rams.

The seven-year, $52.8 million contract is slightly more than Seattle Seahawks left tackle Walter Jones earns. The payout is $22 million in the first two years and $26 million in the first three years. Only Baltimore Ravens left tackle Jonathan Ogden makes more than Pace and Jones at that position.
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks that we lost out on him. But two first round picks is a high price to pay for a guy. Hopefully we can use our draft picks this year to really boost our team. This is the year I think the texans finally make a push for the playoffs.
Bullred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!

It sure would have been nice to have him on our left side, but we don't need sacrifice the future for it.

Kinda feels like Carlos Beltran all over again!
texan0305

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: glad Reply with quote

i'd love to have the guy dont get me wrong, but giving up 2 first round picks is too much, i'm glad casserly didnt jump the gun on this one, with a good draft this year i feel the texans have a good chance at a playoff run, and yes this does leave the same bitter taste as the whole carlos beltran situation its' ok though hopefully this is for the better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: