Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cedric Benson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Cedric Benson Reply with quote

I know a lot of us have been focused on the debate of Williams or Edwards, but over the last week or so I have noticed many mocks having the Bears taking Benson at the 4 spot. I did not have the oppurtunity to see this guy play very much in college and I don't know how I feel about the possibility of the Bears taking him. All I have heard is a couple people say he doesn't compliment TJ very well.

What do you think? Would you be excited or disappointed if the Bears took Benson?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth overall pick in the draft is expected to be a future pro-bowl player... not a "compliment" to your current back. If the Bears take Benson, or Brown, or any other RB with that pick they are basically planning on pushing TJ out the door.
purdueman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Managing expectations Reply with quote

[quote="GRRLacher"]The fourth overall pick in the draft is expected to be a future pro-bowl player... not a "compliment" to your current back. If the Bears take Benson, or Brown, or any other RB with that pick they are basically planning on pushing TJ out the door.[/quote]
I think that in general Bears fans have too high expectations for how big of an impact a guy chosen at #4 will be in year one.

Receivers don't typically get comfortable in pro offenses for two to three years, so anyone taken would be with an eye on replacing Mohammad in three years, not displacing Barrian or anyone else this year.

Running backs can come on faster, but let's be honest with outselves; Jonesy doesn't have a track record of holding up for an entire 16 game schedule and will never make anyone forget Walter Payton or Priest Holmes. Benson or Brown on the other hand just might.
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fans deserve high expectations. The #4 pick deserves high expectations.

A lot of receivers do great as rookies. Typically high pick WR's play a lot. With WR's as bad as Wade, Gage, and Berrian, Williams would almost surely start.

Neither Benson, Brown or any RB will make anyone forget Payton. Never. Never ever. Ever.
purdueman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Payton Reply with quote

[quote="bringbackditka"]The fans deserve high expectations. The #4 pick deserves high expectations.

A lot of receivers do great as rookies. Typically high pick WR's play a lot. With WR's as bad as Wade, Gage, and Berrian, Williams would almost surely start.

Neither Benson, Brown or any RB will make anyone forget Payton. Never. Never ever. Ever.[/quote]
There will never be another Walter Payton or Gayle Sayers and for that matter, Tom Brady is not the next freaking Joe Montana either.

My point is that out of the top 3 running backs in this draft, statistically speaking one is destinated for superstardom, one is destinated to be a solid player and one is destined to be a bust. The million dollar question is, if you go running back, which door do you choose without getting zonked (ala Curtis P.ENIS or pothead Salaam?).

Williams just isn't atheletic enough to be in the same league as Benson, Brown or Edwards. That's what's going to ultimately drive the Bears pick, should they not of course first trade down.
Los Osos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams isn't athletic enough? WTF are you talking about?
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not, he is slow and about as agile as a fast TE, he is no TO my friend.
But all in all and even know I like Edwards more, Williams can be a game changer in the NFL with his height and hands in the red zone.
Los Osos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the Bears pass on Williams, let Minnesota draft him, and watch him tear up the North. We'll see how fast everyone changes their tune.
purdueman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Williams Reply with quote

[quote="Los Osos"]Williams isn't athletic enough? WTF are you talking about?[/quote]
4.60/4.65 in the 40 isn't exactly what I call head and shoulders above anyone, much less Edwards and Williamson who are also available and can both SMOKE Williams in the 40.

What everyone seems to fail to realize is that in the Pro's Williams will be pitted against cornerbacks who unlike in college will have no problem keeping up with him.

Just look at David Terrell; very similiar player, just 2 inches shorter. Terrell had a hard time shaking off an cornerbacks last season and despite his atheleticism was a non factor.
ta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it only took 4 posts to go from talking about the option of running back in the draft to another debate of Williams vs. Edwards Very Happy If nothing else, we are devoted to that argument.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Los Osos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sick of hearing about 40 times that I could puke. You take Don Beebe (4.21) and I'll take Jerry Rice (4.60).
jrtjohnson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwards might turn out to be a good wr but you only get 4 downs to make a first down and edwards drops some of the easiest balls trown to him you need sure hands which williams has and can you imagin how tough the bears would be in the red zone with mm and mw plus the vikings just signed smoot to go along with winnfield we have to take willams
W.PAYTONS#1FAN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards will be a star in the NFL, Williams will be great in the redzone.
Thats the way I see things, and no matter who we take I dont think either of them fall to the Viqueens anyways, or at least I hope not.
RexGrossman8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a couple options on what to do with our 4th pick. If we go the receiver route i think Mike Williams would be the best decision. Sure hes not as fast as Braylon but he has the capibility to make big plays. A big receiver out there with Mushin, could you imagine how much our offense could improve? If not i still think Ronnie Brown would be a great selection at the 4th slot, but i doubt he will be around. And to answer the topic question i dont think Cedric Benson would be a good fit on our team, and id rather see DJ taken before him.
bringbackditka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Osos is right on the money. Whoever takes Williams will laugh at everyone who passed him. More important was the comment that this RB topic changed to WR.

Purdueman:
1. Could you please share your calculations regarding the future success of the first 3 backs taken? I'd like to see it.
2. Could you please list the key characteristics of athleticism to help me understnad why Mike Williams is not athletic enough?
3. Here's a mock with the Bears drafting Williams. A while ago in another thread you emphatically stated that you had never seen a mock in which Williams would be selected by the Bears. Here's one:
http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2005/mockdraft.shtml

Enjoy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: