Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Williams a good compliment to Daunte Culpepper?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Mike Williams a good compliment to Daunte Culpepper? Reply with quote

I've read some opinions claiming that Mike Williams wouldn't be a good fit with Minny because of our vertical passing game. Truth is, Daunte is a better possession passer (ie. short to medium passes) than he is a deep passer. He has a strong arm, but by no means is he accurate deep. For every deep td to Moss over the past 3-4 seasons, there were 3-4 misses and 1-2 sacks that resulted in stalled drives.

That said, Daunte may have the most accurate short to medium range arm in the game, so arming him with a powerful possession receiver like Mike Williams could potentially give the Vikes a dominant possession offense.

Who agrees with me? Who disagrees with me? Comments?
Hornblende

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer if they went to a more possession game without taking so many deep shots down the field. Though exciting, it did sometimes result in punts like you said. I say Yes to Mike Williams.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, and mix up the wr passes with guys out of the backfield and tight ends and we march down the field in a possession type game.

when offenses score too quickly, the defense is right back out on the field and they lose steam by the end of the game and season. so games slip away in the last minutes. sound familiar?
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you 100%. While Daunte is becoming one of the best QB's in the League, he is a VERY ERRATIC deep passer. He is no Jeff George, or even Randall Cunningham for that matter, when it comes to the deep ball. I still like him and think he a stand up guy and good image for Minnesota sports and Minnesota in general, but those of you who worship Pepper in one way or another should really ground yourselves about his attributes. He is becoming great, he is not there yet. For those who need further proof, compare the highlight reels from Jeff George in 99 to Culpepper last year. No comparison in the deep ball. As a matter of fact, we should be thanking both Jeff George and Denny Green for Daunte's development. If Denny had offered more than a 1 year contract to Jeff, and if Jeff had just sucked it up and signed for another year, Daunte might not even have been starting yet. I think Jeff would have had quite a few more productive years in our system, had he and that idiot Green come together on a contract. Regardless of how it worked out, Daunte is here now and that's all that matters.
missingmoss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on Daunte and Williams. Many of Moss' TDs were jump ball in the the red zone. Williams can be as good as Moss at that.
Cunningham and George found Moss deep alot, but they often underthrew the ball and let Moss go up and get it. Culpepper either hits the pass on the run or overthrows it. I think Williams could be a great deep threat if Culpepper learns to let the WR go up and get it.

lapdanceplease
golf333333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams will be gone before we pick, so you can stop dreaming Smile

DJ!!
missingmoss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. He will go at #4 to the Bears right after DJ goes to the Browns.
LoverInTheCold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You find me a clip of Jeff George underthrowing Moss.
Fartman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop talking about Jeff George. I do think Mike Williams can be a good red zone player. He is tall, and can jump and has amazing hands. We would be extremely lucky to get him at 7.
viks_fan21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: daunte/mike Reply with quote

i like daunte but he is the worst at throwing fades, he should be about 95% accurate with the fades to Moss, instead he is about 55%.
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget, Jeff George WAS the #1 overall pick in the draft... so obviously the guy had some upsides, even if he did come to MN mostly as a backup.

Daunte isnt entirely accurate deep, but you find me a QB who is right on with every 40+ yard pass.

Fact is, in the league now, Daunte throws one of the better deep balls, and OBVIOUSLY as far as short-medium range goes, his passes will ALWAYS be higher, as the passes are much less distance to complete.

Mike Williams will fit in ANYWHERE... it doesnt matter where he goes.... I think the argument people mean to be making, is that a guy like Troy Williamson who has the speed to break it deep, would fit better BECAUSE Daunte is actually a strong armed QB, and can get it deep, so people feel we should be able to utilize that strength, instead of limiting ourselves with a plethora of possession recievers.

While throwing deep may not always work, its not JUST about it actually being successful as it is simply keeping the defense honest, and making one or both safeties stay deep so you can run the ball with less "8 guys in the box" issues. Its not just about scoring points quick... its also about telling the defense that you WILL take the risk and they better know to account for it. (which helps open up the run, and short underneath passes)

Anyway, I'm sure Mike Williams will be at least a "solid" WR no matter where he goes... whether or not he is a "star" we will soon find out.

Sean Taylor-Forever 'Canes-
Riddle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive grown to liking mike williams, hes drawing comparisons from some as a bigger cris carter...cant go wrong with that...i still say we should go defense in round 1 though, and take a speedster a bit later

Here's to football!

Ndakasimba kana makasimbawo
Ares Caesar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddle wrote:
ive grown to liking mike williams, hes drawing comparisons from some as a bigger cris carter...cant go wrong with that...i still say we should go defense in round 1 though, and take a speedster a bit later

heh, I think those Carter comparisons are a bit of heafty compliment, considering Carter had some of the best hands EVER in the game, and who can forget what should be his patented sideline catch (NO ONE ever caught as many balls like that as Carter did)

But I think there is *some* truth to that... at least for Vikings fans it makes it a lot easier to understand what type of guy Mike Williams is (since there are plenty of people who've probably never seen a USC game, or even a Mike Williams highlight reel)

Honestly, I cant see the Vikings going any other direction if Williams is on the board... MAYBE DJ, but I have a feeling the Vikings are in love with him, particularly for his good attitude and ability to handle the media.

I guess I hope they'd take DJ over Williams, but I can live with either one.

Sean Taylor-Forever 'Canes-
Helter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

culpepper does really well with the 12-15 yarders but he has a sweet deep ball I think , reminds me of warren moon days
Serick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Daunte's deep balls LOOK very nice. But, his deep completion percentage isn't very strong. For those of you who think he has a good deep pass, think back to the last few years when his backups came into the game. Both Frerotte and the St. Cloud kid (what's his name?) came in and immediately stretched the field better than Daunte ever did. Also, think back to Randall Cunningham and Jeff George in 98 & 99. They also stretched the field better than Daunte ever did.

I stand by my earlier statement - Daunte is at his best as a dink and dunker, with the occasional mid-deep pass thrown in for variety.

By the way - MissingMoss - I concur with your lapdance request.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: