Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Any thoughts on this or is this typical Snyder?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Colts fan since 1969. When they left I stayed a Colts fan. Irsay senior was a horrible owner, a horrible husband and father (apparently) and a horrible human being. His son was made GM while his father ran the team (and was pretty mediocre, not really horrible) so he at least had some experience when he became owner. From all appearances Irsay jr hired a hard [inappropriate/removed], old school GM in Polian, stays out of personnel decisions, and is a philanthropist to the city of Indiannapolis. He is a weird cat but most of his "idiosyncricies" are harmless to the world, his city and the team. It is my opinion, which I cannot prove, that he is only marginally wealthy enough to own the team and it caused Polian to delay signing Peyton soon enough to provide cap room because he was not in a position to put up the up front cash for the huge bonus. But that is not my place to complain about. He has his own cash flow to worry about and Lord knows I would choke on writing those bonus checks no matter how rich I was. I give him credit for hiring top people and letting them do their job. I dont think it is my place to complain about his cash flow. Ditto for Abe Pollin, and the Wizards here in DC. He had the wealth to build MCI himself so if he isnt as rich, or willing to dump cash into the NBA team as a Mark Cuban, it is not my place to complain. He is a wonderful guy and this community will miss him whne he is gone. No one will miss Snyder when he is gone. It will be interesting to see what happens if they win a super bowl. I wonder if he will lose interest and let a football guy run the operation. One can only hope.
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs of war wrote:
sootedpair wrote:
I'm not sure of his exact age, but I think he's in his mid 40s. Who knows how long he'll own the team, I would guess a long time though.

As a Skins fan I like you guys having Jerry Jones too. He ran off one of the best coaches in the NFL, and hasn't hired a good one since.

Dan's just a younger, wealthier (I think) version of Jerry Jones.

I'm assuming your talking about Jimmy Johnson. Yes he did run him off but he didn't do to much when he coached else where. He could be a coach that benefited from good assistant coaches. We've seen alot of that in this league.

He did pretty good with the Hurricanes. As far as the Dolphins go, he went to the playoffs three of the four years he was there. I'm not sure we'll be able to say that about Parcells comeback.
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll find out.

Peace

Cool
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
I have been a Colts fan since 1969. When they left I stayed a Colts fan.

Wow, we've found the one fan of the Baltimore Colts that doesn't hate the Indy Colts.

One thing is for sure, Snyder, no matter how long it takes him to get this owner thing right, will not sneak the Skins out of town in the middle of the night. He's capable of just about anything else though.
inkwell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snyder just took a different angle. Instead of sneaking out of town . . . he changed the name of the town. Wonder what ever happened to the mayor of good ole "Raljohn". And Snyder has little reason to move the team out of town. It is the largest money cow in the NFL and the mayor of DC . . . or Governor Ehrlich of MD are not likely to institute eminent domain to take the team away from him as Baltimore did with Irsay or at least planned to do . . . Or did we forget what prompted the middle of the night aspect of the Colts move? Irsay was a snake but the City didnt really deal too straight with him on replacing a sorry, tiny and run down Memorial Stadium. It took some time for the Inner Harbor progress, the fallout of the Senators moving from DC which prompted the Orioles to move closer to DC and lord knows what other yet unknown efforts for the city to change their attitude and for Camden Yards and the Welches Grape Stadium to be built. Heck, for all I know, Hammerjacks contributed more to the city economy back in those days than the Colts!
sootedpair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwell wrote:
Snyder just took a different angle. Instead of sneaking out of town . . . he changed the name of the town. Wonder what ever happened to the mayor of good ole "Raljohn". And Snyder has little reason to move the team out of town. It is the largest money cow in the NFL and the mayor of DC . . . or Governor Ehrlich of MD are not likely to institute eminent domain to take the team away from him as Baltimore did with Irsay or at least planned to do . . . Or did we forget what prompted the middle of the night aspect of the Colts move? Irsay was a snake but the City didnt really deal too straight with him on replacing a sorry, tiny and run down Memorial Stadium. It took some time for the Inner Harbor progress, the fallout of the Senators moving from DC which prompted the Orioles to move closer to DC and lord knows what other yet unknown efforts for the city to change their attitude and for Camden Yards and the Welches Grape Stadium to be built. Heck, for all I know, Hammerjacks contributed more to the city economy back in those days than the Colts!

RalJohn <- I always thought the creation of that was goofy.

Welches Grape Stadium <- Is that what PSINet stadium is now?

Hammerjacks <- Now you're taking me back to the good ol' days.

Last edited by sootedpair on Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
redskins4life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan's the man!
Dogs of war

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redskins4life wrote:
Dan's the man!

He sure is. He's done a great job turning the Redskin orgaization around hasn't he? Rolling Eyes

It's hard to count all the Superbowl rings he's brought to the organization.
At least he's willing to spend the money.
riggensghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan stepped in and played Bad Cop to Gibbs' Good Cop. He demanded that we get some value for the 1st round pick and the 13 millin we gave coles in guarenteed money.

Even though he may have gone about it the wrong way, I agree with wanting something for coles.

The decision to trade him cost us a ton of Cap dollars but we got a young reciever with speed.

As long as we dont pay him the same contract wich I think we are going to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: