Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No more WRs for the Ravens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: No more WRs for the Ravens? Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens15mar15,1,768311.story?coll=bal-sports-football

It looks like the Ravens are happy with what they have and likely wont heavily pursue anymore FA WRs.
Quote:
The Ravens won't be as proactive in adding another veteran receiver.

However, Billick also goes on to say that the Ravens will likely wait till after the draft for a another WR. Meaning the ravens likely arent targeting a WR in the draft and if we do add another WR it would likely be after the June 1st cuts.
Quote:
Billick seemed content at this point with his receiving corps, indicating his three-wide formations would include Mason, Clarence Moore and Randy Hymes. Former third-round pick Devard Darling could also figure in that mix, Billick added.

"That's one area we'll definitely wait on and see what's out there maybe post-draft," Billick said.
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definatley think they WILL add another reciever to the roster. We've only got 4 recievers worthy of a roster spot right now and we need atleast one more. However they like their starters and wants to see what becomes available later on. I think there's still a strong possibility that they will draft a reciever. You really can't target any particular position when you draft at #22 because you don't know who will be available and even if you are targeting a reciever you can't let everyone know that cause then other teams will trade in front of you.

The only thing i think you can get from those comments is that they're not interested in Plax.
raven5255

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billick said that they might wait till post draft, that tells me a WR in the draft is no where near a lock(only by drafting BPA). and i woundnt expect us to be pursueing Burress anyway and i dont know who would, so i dont think Billick directed those comments at media to put down any thoughts of Burress.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think were set how we are for now. If they add another receiver i think it will be through the draft
mic79e

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it a thousand times, but they are more likely to add a veteran wide receiver rather than one through the draft. They've got three solid developmental projects (Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes and Devard Darling), and the fact is that they don't need anymore, if they need anything it is proven veteran help. The front office is smart, and they are well aware that we are one injury away from having the most inexperienced group of receiver in the game.

The comments from Billick should come as a surprise to no one who knows the Raven's roster and situation.

Last edited by mic79e on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, dont believe what Billick says
I've come to think he likes to think hes outsmarting people
I have no problem with it, but just know that the FO isnt very open about their intentions most of the time in Bmore
Swedishraven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Billick said that they might wait till post draft, that tells me a WR in the draft is no where near a lock(only by drafting BPA). and i woundnt expect us to be pursueing Burress anyway and i dont know who would, so i dont think Billick directed those comments at media to put down any thoughts of Burress.

Well the reason he made those comments was because the reporter asked. The Ravens usually don't give to much information about their off-season strategys and these comments is another example of Billick talking without really saying much. I don't think anyone who's familiar with the ravens draft strategy thought that a receiver was a lock, even before the Mason signing. We have a very young receiver core but the veteran we get have to be willing to help the young ones and not be a me first type player that complains that he doesn't get enough catches.

We obviously translate Billickese very differently. I take the waiting till after the draft comment as an indicator that they want to see how the draft shakes out before they get a FA receiver.
raven5255

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all im saying is that i really wouldnt be suprised if the Ravens dont sign another FA WR or draft another WR. However i think they will add one after the june 1st cuts if we dont draft one based on BPA. thats all im trying to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: