You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dominick Davis and the Knee

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12932
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Dominick Davis and the Knee Reply with quote

Just wondering what you guys think about Davis and his knee. I think Davis is a true talent but that knee is looking shaky already. Do they have acceptable depth behind him? Can Morency carry the load? Do you think Antowain Smith would be the guy if Davis goes down and cant play the year?
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goose85


Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3883
Location: Studio City
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up a very very shakey situation. The truth is out on Davis's knee and there is no cartilage in his knee. He is not a 20 down back, unless you want him to sit the next game because of his knee. Its plagued him since his early days at LSU. This would have been solved if they had drafted Bush, but im not going into that. Right now Antwan Smith is the primary back, but he is not the speed back that is needed in the zone system. Vernand Morency is a dancer in the back field, which is the complete opposite of what is need from a back in a zone offense. Its one cut boom hit the hole. I will be much less scared of our situation if Micheal Bennett is in our backfield when the season starts. Denver has had great running backs that came from no where in this scheme, Wali Lundy and Rhodes may be one of those guys.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12932
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I was NOT one of the people that booed the Texans for passing on Bush. I probably would have taken Bush, but I also thought that the Texans could solve their RB situation in many different ways, onceof which was by drafting Bush. When they announced they were taking Williams I thought they then should have backed up Davis in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th with a rookie with promise (Lundy doesnt seem like a major prospect to me). I know Antowain played in Houston in college, but I haven't been impressed by him for 3-4 years and even then he didnt floor me. Morency may still suprise, but Hollings and Wells didnt work and I dont think anyone is holding their breath for Jameel Cook. So to me, I think the Texans need to make their top priority adding someone to back up Davis. I think someone like Thomas Jones, Chris Brown, Travis Henry (although I dont love Henry), or as you've already mentioned Michael Bennett. Bennett seems like the cheapest alternative and I think he may still have a season or two left.

Is there any more pressing need on the team? Has Kubiak suggested he feels this is a concern?

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck. I grew up in Fresno, so I root hard for Carr and pull for the Texans most weeks.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texansfan


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5626
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Oddly enough, I was NOT one of the people that booed the Texans for passing on Bush. I probably would have taken Bush, but I also thought that the Texans could solve their RB situation in many different ways, onceof which was by drafting Bush. When they announced they were taking Williams I thought they then should have backed up Davis in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th with a rookie with promise (Lundy doesnt seem like a major prospect to me). I know Antowain played in Houston in college, but I haven't been impressed by him for 3-4 years and even then he didnt floor me. Morency may still suprise, but Hollings and Wells didnt work and I dont think anyone is holding their breath for Jameel Cook. So to me, I think the Texans need to make their top priority adding someone to back up Davis. I think someone like Thomas Jones, Chris Brown, Travis Henry (although I dont love Henry), or as you've already mentioned Michael Bennett. Bennett seems like the cheapest alternative and I think he may still have a season or two left.

Is there any more pressing need on the team? Has Kubiak suggested he feels this is a concern?

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck. I grew up in Fresno, so I root hard for Carr and pull for the Texans most weeks.


I think the Texans will be fine. DD, Antowain, and Morency will combine to be a very good running back group. I'm really not too worried until injuries plague us into the season. This is only training camp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12932
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Oddly enough, I was NOT one of the people that booed the Texans for passing on Bush. I probably would have taken Bush, but I also thought that the Texans could solve their RB situation in many different ways, onceof which was by drafting Bush. When they announced they were taking Williams I thought they then should have backed up Davis in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th with a rookie with promise (Lundy doesnt seem like a major prospect to me). I know Antowain played in Houston in college, but I haven't been impressed by him for 3-4 years and even then he didnt floor me. Morency may still suprise, but Hollings and Wells didnt work and I dont think anyone is holding their breath for Jameel Cook. So to me, I think the Texans need to make their top priority adding someone to back up Davis. I think someone like Thomas Jones, Chris Brown, Travis Henry (although I dont love Henry), or as you've already mentioned Michael Bennett. Bennett seems like the cheapest alternative and I think he may still have a season or two left.

Is there any more pressing need on the team? Has Kubiak suggested he feels this is a concern?

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck. I grew up in Fresno, so I root hard for Carr and pull for the Texans most weeks.


I think the Texans will be fine. DD, Antowain, and Morency will combine to be a very good running back group. I'm really not too worried until injuries plague us into the season. This is only training camp.


Reports I read were that DD had such severe swelling and pain in his knee after one practice that they had to do more tests and give him at least a week off. Did anyone else read that?

If that report is true, I'd be shocked if Davis played much at all this year. Needed a week off after the very first practice is a really bad sign. I could have misunderstood the report but i dont think so.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texansfan


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5626
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
texansfan wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Oddly enough, I was NOT one of the people that booed the Texans for passing on Bush. I probably would have taken Bush, but I also thought that the Texans could solve their RB situation in many different ways, onceof which was by drafting Bush. When they announced they were taking Williams I thought they then should have backed up Davis in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th with a rookie with promise (Lundy doesnt seem like a major prospect to me). I know Antowain played in Houston in college, but I haven't been impressed by him for 3-4 years and even then he didnt floor me. Morency may still suprise, but Hollings and Wells didnt work and I dont think anyone is holding their breath for Jameel Cook. So to me, I think the Texans need to make their top priority adding someone to back up Davis. I think someone like Thomas Jones, Chris Brown, Travis Henry (although I dont love Henry), or as you've already mentioned Michael Bennett. Bennett seems like the cheapest alternative and I think he may still have a season or two left.

Is there any more pressing need on the team? Has Kubiak suggested he feels this is a concern?

Anyway, I wish you lots of luck. I grew up in Fresno, so I root hard for Carr and pull for the Texans most weeks.


I think the Texans will be fine. DD, Antowain, and Morency will combine to be a very good running back group. I'm really not too worried until injuries plague us into the season. This is only training camp.


Reports I read were that DD had such severe swelling and pain in his knee after one practice that they had to do more tests and give him at least a week off. Did anyone else read that?

If that report is true, I'd be shocked if Davis played much at all this year. Needed a week off after the very first practice is a really bad sign. I could have misunderstood the report but i dont think so.


I had read that too. But I'm not going to put faith into how much time he will miss until the season really begins. Right now they're holding him out of practices and limiting his time running the football because there's no sense in over-working him. Alot of teams are doing the same with their big players. So we'll wait and see what affect it has on his season.

But we are concerned. This is not good for our star runner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texantype


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 707
Location: Houston
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Dominic D. Reply with quote

The majority of what I've heard or read since the draft is "don't worry about Bush, we've got Dominic Davis." Then when he had problems in the early camp everybody said, "don't worry it, it's just a small problem, he'll get over it."

These comments were from posters on the site and the Texans management.
I guess when the season starts and he's not on the field there will be more excuses and CYA comments from management.

And now Mario has toenails in such bad shape he can't make it to the field!

Wonder how Reggie is doing? Oh, that's right, we made such a good decision
on not picking him number one, who cares about him! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MultiSync


Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Posts: 1901
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to say it but you guys will regret not taking Bush
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
goose85


Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3883
Location: Studio City
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MultiSync wrote:
hate to say it but you guys will regret not taking Bush


Well Ive been the one saying Davis cannot handle the load the past 2 years on this forum. I backed Bush from day 1, but the zone scheme doesnt require that much skill. Its cut and hit the hold, why do you think denver has been so successful. Right now there isnt a back on the team that can be the feature back. A move needs to be made. Thomas Jones is going to cost to much more than likely a 2nd rounder after his past year. Chris Brown and Micheal Bennett could also cost about a 3rd rounder. Morency does not fit the zone system i do not care how much talent he has, he dances in the back field, that doesnt work in the zone. Something needs to be done about this situation.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12932
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goose85 wrote:
MultiSync wrote:
hate to say it but you guys will regret not taking Bush


Well Ive been the one saying Davis cannot handle the load the past 2 years on this forum. I backed Bush from day 1, but the zone scheme doesnt require that much skill. Its cut and hit the hold, why do you think denver has been so successful. Right now there isnt a back on the team that can be the feature back. A move needs to be made. Thomas Jones is going to cost to much more than likely a 2nd rounder after his past year. Chris Brown and Micheal Bennett could also cost about a 3rd rounder. Morency does not fit the zone system i do not care how much talent he has, he dances in the back field, that doesnt work in the zone. Something needs to be done about this situation.


I totally agree. Just a note, Bennett was traded to the Chiefs, so he is off the list. Brown may cost almost as much as Jones, so I think if you want a cheap option, a guy like Travis Henry may be made available or even a LaBrandon Toefield, but both will require waiting until their respective teams make them available, if at all.

If I were the Texans I might suck it up and go spend what it takes to get Chris Brown or Thomas Jones. Both have several years left and both are better options than any other out there. The price for these guys will only go up as injuries mount during preseason. Just my opinion...
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ham644


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If DD didnt have a fumbling problem hed be just as good as any back in the league
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
texansfan


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 5626
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dominic D. Reply with quote

Texantype wrote:
The majority of what I've heard or read since the draft is "don't worry about Bush, we've got Dominic Davis." Then when he had problems in the early camp everybody said, "don't worry it, it's just a small problem, he'll get over it."

These comments were from posters on the site and the Texans management.
I guess when the season starts and he's not on the field there will be more excuses and CYA comments from management.

And now Mario has toenails in such bad shape he can't make it to the field!

Wonder how Reggie is doing? Oh, that's right, we made such a good decision
on not picking him number one, who cares about him! Cool


Reggie Bush has rushed for 0 yards so far in his NFL career, so don't say anything about regretting not picking him. There were a number of Bush supporters on this site, but we'll have to wait and see how Mario does. There's a reason the Texans took him at number 1, so we'll see if he lives up to it.

In terms of getting a runner, I really don't think Chris Brown would cost us a whole lot. He has asked for a trade and is an injury-prone back, so it wouldn't cost anything big to get him. However, it's unlikely that Tennessee would trade in the division. So that leaves Thomas Jones, who might be a good option but is an expensive pickup. And I'm not sure if you can justify having two running backs making good money in DD and Thomas Jones. So we might be stuck with the guys we have.

But like has been said, it doesn't take much to be a good runner in the Denver O-line scheme. I heard they were working with Morency to turn him into more of a North-south runner instead of the dancer that he currently is. So if that's the case, the three guys we have with DD, Antowain Smith and Morency might be serviceable enough that we can win some games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kris_kapsner


Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Posts: 1117
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one have been a DD fan from the time he was drafted and started playing well his first year. He's a stud when healthy. I'm no doctor so I don't really understand the rumors of "no cartelage in his knee". Could someone please explain to me what that means exactly? It sure seamed like he should have had plenty of time in the offseason to rest up. Heck, he started five weeks before the season ended didn't he? He really should be set to go. I just don't get it.
_________________
Current 16 team PPR dynasty.
QB: Romo, Brady
RB: MJD, McFadden, Stewart, C. Johnson, Lynch, Benson, Mendenhall
WR: Jennings, Colston, Calvin Johnson, Evans, Andre Johnson, Crabtree
TE: K. Winslow, Witten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goose85


Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 3883
Location: Studio City
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knee is chronic, it really is a shame. Davis has all the talent in the world but if we have him rush the ball 20+ a game, will be lucky to get 8 games out of him. As the preseason moves along we need to see how Morency is translating, he could be the solution.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LJ4MVP_KC4Ever


Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 843
Location: Kansas!!!!!Where Else
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see Davis play a whole season without an injury, he looks like such a great player.
_________________
Ditchdigger wrote:
Brodney Pool - Single-handedly stopped a TD from a half yard out. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He's the next Ed Reed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group