You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We need a playmaker....... bad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wareagle-go browns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: We need a playmaker....... bad Reply with quote

As most folks here are aware im a big antrel rolle guy and the idea of rolle & baxter at the corners for the next 5 years makes me grin. But a serious need here is a playmaker and yeah you can make a case for winslow matter of fact i bet he will be a play maker but i mean a guy who everytime he touches the rock the other team holds their breath a guy other teams stay up all night worried about how to defend and we do not have that.. not even close. now before all the fellow homers come out making cases for nextcutt..err northcutt (i actually like cutty) who has only 10 TDs in his career. or davis and his never ending turf toe and inconsistant hands. or the "great" (as heard from someon here) Lee Suggs who in 3 or 4 years has yet to play a full season pro or college, i also question his durability when healthy a little small for my liking but maybe i'll be wrong.. i hope so. both cutty and dre wouldbe excellent #2 options with a stud WR like Edwards or Williams and Winslow working the LB'S. This team needs a Ron Brown or a Edwards or williams very badly. The D will be ok via FA and mid level picks the offense though needs to get the guys to help make that next turn and make this a top notch O. The line has been addressed now we need guys for them to block for. Yes I failed to mention antonio bryant im big on bryant and i do think he will keep his head right here under romeo but i think he's a solid #2 guy as well, with potential to be a #1 guy. i love the idea of bryant and edwards lined up outside winslow... wow..
harold650

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: A GOOD THOUGHT YOU HAVE, BUT Reply with quote

WarEagle: Can you really have an individual playmaker except perhaps as a punt or kick returner?

A receiver like Williams or Edwards needs a great passer; a runner needs blocking; a quarterback needs protection or he gets killed (as we have seen).

I agree with your idea, but perhaps taking an offensive playmaker high in the draft is a better idea for the next draft or the one after that. Maybe this is a year to take a defensive playmaker; they can make instant big differences like Mean Joe Greene, Julius Peppers, Lawrence Taylor, etc., etc.

Good idea, but maybe not the best this year's draft. Just one man's opinion.

Thanks for a good post,

Shocked
wareagle-go browns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold, normally i would agree being a defense first guy like i am but not this time. I dont think we will be in a position to get a big playmaker in the draft next year since we should win 6-9 games next year, and looking at next years draft i dont see it being as good as this one. A lot of NFL folks have been waiting a couple years for this draft, it's solid for the first 5 rounds. Good defensive players i think are easier to find than good offensive players at a young age.
Dawgpoundcrazy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense sells tickets
Defense wins Superbowls
wareagle-go browns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats my point dawg pound. it's easier to assemble a defense through a system or a scheme than it is a offense. Yes championships do win titles and alot of those defenses best allie was a offense that can control clock. the best D in the world will wear down if they are on the field too much.
Dawgpoundcrazy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really following you thinking there. If the defense wins Superbowls then a mediocre offense will suffice. Mediocre is what we have, with the retun of K2 and Dilfer now maybe a bit over mediocre. With the upgrades in ther O-line and 2 decent RB's possibly the best fullback in the league and a guy who may explode like Bryant could I thiink we can hang. A strong core defense will allow us to keep the tempo of the game at our control and work the ball over and eventually come through. Every dynasty has revolved around the defense. Look back in the Superbowl the playmakers were Tampa Bay's defense, RAy Lewis and Baltimore defense and NEw Englands defense was whatit revolved around. I saw draft a playmaker but make it a defensive playmaker and get the ball in Dilfers hands and let them grind it out
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it is way more difficult to find a defensive playmaker than offensive. In addition I think that there are better defensive players high in this draft than there are offensive players (except at the wide receiver position).
wareagle-go browns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dawg were not on the same page. My point is even with a great defense you need to control clock. the best D ever will be vulnerable if on the field all day. So even if we get rolle (my fav) or DJ or shawne we cant afford to ignore a glaring need like a real playmaker, for what? we lose 12-7, 10-6 etc.. the examples you named (ravens, pats, bucs) were also teams that controlled the clock and helped their defense out by keeping them fresh. we have 2 solid views here and with all the holes in this team any of the top 5 talents will be a huge stride in this team getting somewhere. Let's be honest we dont know what we got in Dilfer or winslow, we can speculate. we all know winslow is a great athlete but he only caught I think 10 td's (career)at miami (a pro style offense) and dilfer hasnt started more than 8 games in like 3 or 4 years so the more talent the better.
The OUTLAW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that first Ravens Super Bowl team had an anemic offense. They actually went 2-2 during a stretch where they scored no touchdowns. While I admit a team that can control the ball is ideal, I also believe that our defense has got to be able to get off of the field on third and long (which they have been unable to do for the past 2 season to my dismay). I think that we have adequate running backs as long as we've improved our line play. So I still think a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball is most important.
wareagle-go browns

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they also had a 7 game win streak at the end of the year where they outscored opponents 189-67 and they scored well in the playoffs. point is when they turned the corner and became a championship contender the the O and the D helped each other out, the O scored enough to keep the D fresh and the fresh D gave the O field position. Any other year i would be with ya in saying D, D and more D but a Braylon Edwards & Mike Williams dont come along often, they are for real and both no matter what system they end up with 7-10 td's if healthy. A defense is as good as it's system. example Troy Brown, a wr plugged in to the D understood the concept and stayed with in the frame work of the D and excelled.
harold650

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: HOW ABOUT THIS? Reply with quote

WarEagle:

Would taking Darren Sproles in the 4thor 5th be enough of a playmaker to add to a bunch of good defensive playmakers taken earlier?

Shocked
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone give up on Lee? I dont understand you guys...

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has given up on Lee.

It's just that he is not going to be able to make it through the year without help. Don't even start on Green, everyone should accept the fact that he is not going to be a Brown next year.

Sproles would probably not play more than 5 regular plays a game if we got him, other than returns. Hardly a playmaker.

The question now is, who makes more of an impact on their team: offensive or defensive playmakers?

LaDanian Tomlinson or Quentin Jammer?
Terrell Owens or Corey Simon?
Clinton Protis or Champ Bailey?
Ahman Green or Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila?
Tony Gonzales or anyone KC has on defense?

I guess what I'm saying is that defense gets it done as a unit, whereas offense needs skill guys to cut through the defense.

Obviously, Romeo's defensive strategy can get by with lesser skilled players. A good defensive plan can overcome lack of skill. On offense, it is harder to get by with lesser skilled players. This became clear to us when Alston and King lined up as our staring recievers late last year.
Eagles1fan5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.J. Arrington anybody?
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think anyone has given up on Lee

Obviously you do because you want Ronnie Brown so badly....

Quote:
LaDanian Tomlinson or Quentin Jammer?
Terrell Owens or Corey Simon?
Clinton Protis or Champ Bailey?
Ahman Green or Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila?
Tony Gonzales or anyone KC has on defense?

Ok, who wins more games an individual player or a defense that plays as a unit? 1 player on defense doesnt usually make a HUGE impact... But you still need one at every position...

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: