Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

march 2005 team needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: march 2005 team needs Reply with quote

here's what i think the vikes should do:

1) bring back brad johnson -- why not? he was a servicable qb when healthy and we can forget about the culpepper mentoring role as daunte seems to have figured out when to throw, when to run, and how not to drop the ball. we need someone of johnson's caliber to come in following an injury and keep the team moving.

2) acquire boldin from the cards -- trade bennett and a mid round draft choice to denny greene who still likes bennett. greene will favor fitzgerald more than boldin as the years go on so this is the time to grab him. give up on acquring williams or edwards, it just isn't realistic as too many teams can make use of either of them.

3) draft dj -- defense is still our greatest need and we aren't done yet. you draft for the future and that's what dj represents in the middle of the field.

4) draft nugent in the 2nd round -- we've been horrible at kicking for years now, wasting roster spaces for players that aren't worth it. make the committment to the future again.
common cents

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree...i'm all for what you said...
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just don't give up the 2nd round pick. we need to get nugent if he's still there at that point.

but the vikes have done GREAT so far, kudos to their staff and management.
Helter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good to me
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ will be gone by the time we pick...I can see Miami tabbing him...
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, stoned koala (?). so make a trade with miami to give up our #7 and something or someone of mid value for their #2 and draft DJ. many members here have pointed out the millions of dollars it will save a team to get their pick a few picks later.
golf333333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEDkoala is more like it...Miami will be taking a RB, plain and simple. Probably Ronnie Brown.
Just figured I would point that out for you since you seem to have no idea what you are talking about.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe since there are THREE running backs on the market...well FOUR...

Shaun Alexander, James, Henry and Bennett...

I don't see them picking up Brown if they can swing a trade and pick up a running back and then plugging in another need...
UtBDan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf333333 wrote:
STONEDkoala is more like it...Miami will be taking a RB, plain and simple. Probably Ronnie Brown.
Just figured I would point that out for you since you seem to have no idea what you are talking about.

Miami could do anything. They're rebuilding, and if I were the coach I would've gone for keeping the veterans and trying to make one last attempt at a good season before rebuilding (if they hadn't traded for Booker, the defense at the end of that season would've had the potential to be the best. Ofcourse, now they've lost Sammy Knight and are going to lose Surtain and I'm sure they're losing or lost more that I haven't mentioned.), but the truth is they could go anywhere. Everyone THINKS they'll go with running back. For all you know the Dolphins board could all be about defense, trying to win that way. For all you know the Dolphins could be drafting a #1 quality reciever to go along with Chambers to try to take pressure off the running game and so they can let Booker be traded.

You never know. And there's no reason to insult somebody for believing differently.

Personally, I do believe they'll be taking a running back. But definately? DEFINATELY?! Somebody's never watched an NFL Draft before.
Vikings fan.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UtBDan understnds the process pretty well. drafts and particularly the weeks leading up to them are about masking your intentions, unless you have the #1 spot.

miami may not go for dj, but the odds increase dramatically on the next pick that cleveland will. so make the deal with either one of them and get your guy. be aggressive, tice and co. the fans are restless.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft Daddy has a great plan, and I'd like to see it happen for the Vikes, but are we packaging #7 and #18 to move up to #2? . . . staying pat and well adding a stud safety at #18 would help Wink

Now, as for Miami, they might just do the craziest thing ever ... well, next to Mike Ditka trading and picking Ricky Williams. Suppose Miami gives up #2 overall? To whom? Well, how bout San Diego? The Trade? San Diego's two 1st rounders this year, plus a 2nd and 4th next yr.

I'll be honest that I"m reaching on that, but the Chargers know what they need, and Nick Saban has to take his socks off to count what the Dolphins need.

In the end, I see the Vikes staying put with #7 and #18 in the first, or maybe trading down a bit. In the 2nd, I pray we get Nugent . .. . how cool would it be to play "Cat Scratch Fever" in MN against Detroit just before Nugent kicks anything.

OK--the Crown's kickin in... . .. lmao
Nykooo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I do not believe that Defense is our biggest need. We addressed defense. I think we need a good Wide Receiver. I'd like to see Boldin in a Vikings uniform of course. Problem is he makes me think about Buerlson too much. I'd like to see a different guy. Someone like Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards, strong tall guy with habilities to break the other team hope with big plays. Boldin and Buerlson will catch the ball, I just don't see them being deep threat.

So I'd rank our need with:

1- WR (Go to guy)
2- Kicker
3- Offensive line (someone to replace Dixon)
4- Defensive Line (a guy who could play both DE and DT)

I am pretty sure we will be really good on defense this year. I know we have done well in the past when Randy was not on the field on offense. Still we were doing better with him. I just want one more weapon for Daunte so he can spread the field and cause mayhem among defensive unit with his arm and his legs.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
purplefan05

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nykooo. DJ does look like a stud OLB, but nobody is giving a chance to any of our current backers. Thomas, EJ, and Harris deserve some time to prove their worth before we consider it urgent to replace them. If either of the 2 receivers make it to us, we should jump all over them. Maybe if they're not there, then we'd take the best available which would be DJ provided all three aren't gone.

Also, if we keep our picks as is, we'll be able to grab a top notch WR, a stud DE like D. Cody/E. James, and then grab Nugent in 2. We'd have no holes on our team and we'd continue to develop the young and highly drafted talent we already have at LB.
Helter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll end up taking the best availible at the time
purplefan05

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you rank those three then, in a best available manner.

I'd go:
1)M. Williams
2)B. Edwards
3)D. Johnson

then we'd have to look into dropping down to grab E James or D. Cody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: